What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Mookalafalas

Late afternoon in Taiwan. A thunderstorm is just rolling in.  This interpretation is just right--stormy, passionate, unrestrained.

[asin]B000BOIWU0[/asin]
It's all good...

aligreto

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on August 01, 2020, 06:06:52 PM

Cabaret songs by William Bolcom, Arnold Schönberg, Erik Satie.

A very sophisticated album of cabaret songs from three cultures (american, austro-german and french), sung in three languages and given a vocal profile worthy of the best opera houses. Not that the interpretations are operatic in any way,  but Brueggergosman's voice is of a beauty, range and size to shame many a well-known diva. Her obvious relish of the words and ability to enunciate properly and naturally is truly infectious. Bolcom accompanies her on the piano in his own works, while the other items are accompanied by the BBC Symphony under David Robertson. This disc is a stunner.
Intrigued by your comments, I decided to google her and checked out her website.  Thought that you and others might be interested in this.  Every Friday (up to August 7th), she's offering a free download of a selected track.  https://www.measha.com/measha-free-fridays

PD
Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 01, 2020, 07:23:15 PM
It's a while since I listened to that inimitable Leningrad. I must rectify that.
Nice!  The Busoni pc is the only one that I don't know.  I do have that Lenny B set (a classic!), and, as you probably know, I do enjoy my Sibelius!  :D

Quote from: JBS on August 01, 2020, 06:27:44 PM
Bax for piano and orchestra

Feeling like the weather is a bit hot there in Florida now JBS?   ;)  Just kidding.  I do enjoy Bax's tone poems.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 01, 2020, 02:11:56 PM
+1 a very nice CD with Symphony 8 unless your playing a download.

The downloaded album also has No 8 and Ode to the Queen, Op 83 - treats yet to come.

Listening to Bliss: String Quartet No 2 in F minor - Griller Quartet

aligreto

Brahms: Symphony No. 3 [Alsop]

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

aligreto

Donizetti: Orchestral Music [Kovács]

Concertino in G major for cor anglais
Concertino in B flat major for clarinet
Sinfonia in D minor per la Morte di Capuzzi

Biffo

Rubbra: Symphony No 4 - Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Norman Del Mar - gripping performance, especially the 1st movement.

aligreto

Debussy: Prélude a l'Apres-midi d'un faune [Haitink]

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on August 02, 2020, 04:51:54 AM
Debussy: Prélude a l'Apres-midi d'un faune [Haitink]

This is a real fine recording  :)

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

As Steals the Morn.... Handel arias and scenes for tenor with Mark Padmore, The English Concert and Andrew Manze.  An enjoyable revisit with this album.  I did catch this time, however, as to why I was able to purchase it at cut-out prices.  Someone was not diligent in proof-reading the booklet.  For the last aria from Samson, they didn't include the Italian liner notes, repeated an earlier aria in the English translation and then forgot to put in the English and Italian liner notes plus the German and the French for the last aria.  So it goes, I'm just happy that I have the music!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vers la flamme

Quote from: aligreto on August 02, 2020, 03:38:26 AM
Brahms: Symphony No. 3 [Alsop]

I now have the other three discs of Alsop's Brahms cycle, and ordered this one—damn good Brahms!

Td;

Anton Bruckner: Symphony No.9 in D minor, WAB 109. Georg Tintner, Royal Scottish National Orchestra

Currently the adagio. My mind is blown... this is amazing! I have long enjoyed Bruckner's 9th but somehow it has never clicked with me in such a way before, where now, it feels like all the pieces are falling into place perfectly. Great recording! But now I feel the need to listen to my other two recordings of the same work (I also have Barenboim/Berlin PO and Wand/NDR SO/Lübeck Cathedral) for comparative purposes... try and figure out what I was missing before.

This music is pure Bruckner, but two associations are coming to mind: the Adagio finale of Mahler's 9th, and to a lesser extent music from Wagner's Tristan und Isolde.

Traverso

Sergeant Rock

David Diamond Symphony No. 3, Schwarz conducting the Seattle

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

aligreto

De Lalande: Lecons De Ténebres [Desrochers] 

Out of season but good music is never out of season.

This is a most poised, refined and elegant performance from all concerned, particularly from the soprano Desrochers who ultimately carries the presentation with a sublime performance. The accompaniment is also very fine and sensitive and definitely contributes to the overall sense of occasion.

aligreto

aligreto

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 02, 2020, 06:10:01 AM

I now have the other three discs of Alsop's Brahms cycle, and ordered this one—damn good Brahms!

Yes, good music making. I have not listened to any Brahms symphonic cycle in quite some time. I am now three quarters way through this one.