What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 07, 2020, 06:23:21 PM
How is that? IIRC, there is one movement from the cl quintet in the Melos Ensemble box.

It's Reger-ish, is the best description I can give.

Thing is, it's been years since I listened to the Clarinet Quintet. I have/had the DG trio of the Quintet and String Quartets played by the Doric Quartet with Karl Leister, but when I went looking for it a few weeks ago to give it a new listen, I couldn't find it despite looking everywhere I could think of. So I purchased this and the CPO SQ set to fill in the gap. And the search was worth it, since I grabbed a few things along the way that were due for a new listen themselves.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Symphony No. 5

Hot and thrilling stuff! The symphonies of this composer are truly stupendous, full of striking ideas, appealing dissonances and vibrant rhythms. He's solidly one of my favorite American symphonists.

Pittsburgh Symphony

I had forgot how impressive and 'Hindemithian' this work is. Perhaps the least known of his symphonies, but it shouldn't be so at all. It's wondrous. The last part from the 3rd movement features what seems to be an American tune. Of all his 6 symphonies with the only one I struggle with a little is Symphonia Serena. I like the cover art as well. It shows Hindemith with a somewhat surly aspect.  ;D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Symphony No. 3 in F minor

What beautiful music is heard here, and the slow movement contains some dreamy moments that are to die for. The short but engaging 3rd movement is like one of those fantastic scherzos. To be honest I prefer the late-Romantic style that is found on this work to that of several of his following symphonies. Many of them are too prolix, depressing and impenetrable. They leave me cold.

Symphony No. 3 The Four Ages of Man

This symphony has something that reminds me of Nielsen. Sounds intriguing and with certain feeling of transcendence in places. A fascinating piece.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 07, 2020, 06:55:10 AM
Unusual to be a composer and an artist, or the other way round. I have a LP of chamber works recorded at the Vilnius Gallery where I believe most of Ciurlionis paintings are housed. I would love to visit that part of the world.
Yes, me too Lol.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mahlerian on August 07, 2020, 08:42:54 AM
:laugh:

Like the first time most of us look at the name of violist Kim Kashkashian. Truly we live in an era obsessed with empty celebrity.
Very true.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 07, 2020, 08:57:51 PM

Symphony No. 3 in F minor

What beautiful music is heard here, and the slow movement contains some dreamy moments that are to die for. The short but engaging 3rd movement is like one of those fantastic scherzos. To be honest I prefer the late-Romantic style that is found on this work to that of several of his following symphonies. Many of them are too prolix, depressing and impenetrable. They leave me cold.

Symphony No. 3 The Four Ages of Man

This symphony has something that reminds me of Nielsen. Sounds intriguing and with certain feeling of transcendence in places. A fascinating piece.
These are two CDs which mean a lot to me Cesar, especially the Rosenberg which feature, perhaps, his two greatest symphonies. I like Ivanovs as well, especially the early symphonies and 'Late Frost in Spring', which is a film score. Having said that, I think that one of his finest and most moving scores is Symphony 20 which is on Naxos. No.11, disappointingly, has never AFAIK been released on CD - it is one of the best. Here are two of my favourite Ivanovs CDs. It's a while since I heard them so your post has encouraged me to play them again:

Traverso

Traverso

Albéniz

It's very hot today,this music seems appropriate for this occasion

Que

Morning listening:

Via Spotify, but this is definitely on the shopping list.

Q

pjme

Some Schubert, then Oscar Espla / psalm De profundis.

Still shocked and saddened by the Beirut explosion, I tried to find some info on Lebanese composers.

https://www.7iber.com/culture/five-arab-classical-composers-of-the-20th-century/
Toufic Succar's orchestral suite Aksak Sima combines Aksak rhythms with Viennese expressionism.

Bechara El-Khoury: Symphonie "Les Ruines de Beyrouth" Op. 37 (1985)
https://youtu.be/oawE1z1DlJI
I posted earlier a (french) live version of El khoury's hauntingly beautiful "Unfinished journey". Daniel Hope and the Basle Ch.O. recorded it for DGG.
https://youtu.be/9fbWZ_3F3TQ

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on August 07, 2020, 01:07:00 PM
I have not heard that recording but I do not think that I need to to know that you will most likely enjoy it a lot.

Very good. Op.3 & Op.6 are great pieces.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Que

Papy Oli

Good morning all

Another of the Chandos film music series with Rawsthorne's :

Olivier

Christo

Quote from: pjme on August 08, 2020, 02:18:27 AM
Still shocked and saddened by the Beirut explosion, I tried to find some info on Lebanese composers.

https://www.7iber.com/culture/five-arab-classical-composers-of-the-20th-century/
Toufic Succar's orchestral suite Aksak Sima combines Aksak rhythms with Viennese expressionism.

I posted earlier a (french) live version of El khoury's hauntingly beautiful "Unfinished journey". Daniel Hope and the Basle Ch.O. recorded it for DGG.
Good idea, will follow with my own (small) collection of Lebanese composers.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Traverso on August 08, 2020, 12:37:39 AM
Albéniz

It's very hot today,this music seems appropriate for this occasion

Good choice!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: pjme on August 08, 2020, 02:18:27 AM
Some Schubert, then Oscar Espla / psalm De profundis.

Murray and Lupu = a great combination!

On a serious note:  I went to the BBC website yesterday to try and catch up a bit on the news and saw before and after photos of the explosion in Beirut...hard to fathom.  So sad. 

I don't believe that I have any music by Lebanese composers but would love to explore the music.  I'll make note of your links.  Thank you for posting them.

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Malcolm Arnold - Guitar Concerto, symphony for Brass instruments, Quintet for Brass

Olivier

SonicMan46

Dvorak, Antonin - Piano Trios & Quartets w/ the Golub-Kaplan-Carr Trio & Domus, respectively - starting off the weekend w/ some Dvorak and will likely continue w/ his chamber works - :)  Dave

Maestro267

Dvorak: Violin Concerto
Suk (violin)/Czech PO/Neumann

My first time listening to this work.