What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 11, 2020, 04:22:27 PM

Svetlanov - Symphony in B minor

It appears numbered as No. 1, but I'm not aware of any other symphony by him. Svetlanov as a composer had something interesting to say in this work. I found it cogent, very Russian and tuneful.

Five vibrant orchestral works in a late-Romantic idiom: The Return of the Prodigal Son, Beatrice, Nina and Pergolesi, The Legend of the Baltic Sea and King of the Winds. What I've heard by Nowowiejski has been impressive so far.
Must give this another listen to. It features in the Brilliant boxed set of Svetlanov recordings. I remember that my original EMI/Melodiya LP of Miaskovsky's Symphony 22 was coupled with a work by Svetlanov.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

pjme

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 11, 2020, 03:08:52 PM
I guess I was about beggin' for that, Peter  8) Très interessant

You're welcome, Karl.
Anyway, large parts of Europe are suffering the worst heatwave since meteorological measuring began in ca 1833: since more than a week the Low Countries experience tropical temperatures, day (35°C and more) and night (ca. 20°C).  So, it is safer to stay inside, drink a lot of water and refrain from moving....
Doing some (very light) research was fun.
For Tom Beghin 's name I consulted (online) the
Woordenboek van de familienamen in België en Noord-Frankrijk (grondig herziene en vermeerderde uitgave) (Dr. Frans Debrabandere - L.J. Veen /Het Taalfonds 2003).
Debrabandere and Veen do not mention  "bégayer".

Now I need some cool music for breakfast.  A piano trio by Haydn, I guess.

Et voilà!

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 11, 2020, 10:32:52 PM
Must give this another listen to. It features in the Brilliant boxed set of Svetlanov recordings. I remember that my original EMI/Melodiya LP of Miaskovsky's Symphony 22 was coupled with a work by Svetlanov.

I  have the Festive Poem recording. Not got around to it but thought of counting how many works on my shelves by Soviet composers containing the word "Festive".

Svetlanov was also an outstanding pianist - a man of many talents.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Franck: String Quartet.

Romantic in an understated way, if that makes sense. A work I feel with hidden treasures where repeated listening worthwhile.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

aligreto

Dowland: Consort Music and Songs [Rose Consort of Viols]

aligreto

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 11, 2020, 12:25:30 PM

Stanford - String Quartets 1 & 2

Elegant, charming, well-crafted and tuneful pieces. If these first quartets are that good, I can imagine the others will surely be equal or better. I hope so.

I certainly feel that you will not be disappointed. No. 8 is a particularly fine work I feel.

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 11, 2020, 09:04:20 AM
Boccherini, Luigi - Cello Concertos from the 7-CD Brilliant box (below left; previously released as a 3-disc set, right) - recordings from 1988 w/ cellist Julius Berger (b. 1954) performing on Luigi's own Strad - total of 12 concertos - one review attached for those interested.  Dave :)

I recently went through the Boccherini Cello Concertos keeping the Berger recordings and culling the Naxos ones.

Traverso

Bach

Not so strange as it seems

https://www.youtube.com/v/aioL4wC3eeI

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on August 12, 2020, 01:03:15 AM
Bach

Not so strange as it seems

https://www.youtube.com/v/aioL4wC3eeI

Baroque music was always transposed so why not? Different and pleasant enough but not one for the purists. Very clear lines, however.

Traverso

Irons

Saygun: 2nd Symphony.

Listened courtesy of YT. I enjoyed the recording very much. 

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 11, 2020, 04:34:14 PM
The one conducted by Kondrashin is the definitive recording IMO. It's a hair-raising and visceral performance!
+1 for Kondrashin.  Symphonic Addict's description is spot-on!

Papy Oli

Bax - Orchestral works Vol.2
Spring fire, Symphonic Scherzo, Mediterranean.

Olivier

aligreto

Geminiani: Concerti Grossi - after Corelli, Op. 5 - Nos. 4, 5 & 6 [Manze]

Taut performances with poise and elegance.

aligreto

Handel: Oboe Concertos [Camden/Ward]

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 12, 2020, 02:06:34 AM
Saygun: 2nd Symphony.

Listened courtesy of YT. I enjoyed the recording very much.
No.1 is great as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Bax - Orchestral Works Vol.3 - Summer Music, Tintagel

Olivier

aligreto

Dvorak: Czech Suite in D major Op. 39 [Hrusa]

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 12, 2020, 12:28:40 AM

Svetlanov was also an outstanding pianist - a man of many talents.
I didn't know that about him!  8)

Pohjolas Daughter