What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: deprofundis on September 15, 2020, 05:37:52 PM
Tonight friends, followers, friendly wanderer and mortal enemy of death...
look it's not me it's Jesus teaching our Lord that want it that way so be it.

I'm listening to a super LP before I collapse, remember, that deprofondis suffer back pain and exhausted like  most of the time if not all, like I'm 43 yrs old but feel so wreck that I feel more like 90 yrs, that not cool or funny at all...

I want Godzilla to walk on my back because it hurts...enough procrastination all ready, I'm currently listening to Concert Hall Society released in 1950 like mint folks, admit your jealous a bit and don't have this tremendously awesome slab of petrol, this masterpiece Lassus/ Josquin split... confessed under God guidance...

:P
Sorry to hear about your back DP.
All strength to you.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

The Art of Courtly Love [Munrow]

LP 1 of 3 is titled Guillaume de Machaut and his Age. It should have been titled The Genius of de Machaut. A very large percentage of the music on this LP is by de Machaut and what wonderful music it is. They are all secular songs with some wonderful examples among them. Of course Munrow presented them in his own inimitable fashion that still sounds very fresh and appealing to me.

Que

aligreto

Cross post from the French Music Exploration thread:

I was making a recommendation to Olivier, in his new thread, for Ibert's Concertino da camera for Alto Saxophone and 11 instruments when I remembered that someone had commented earlier that they liked the sound of the saxophone. If you want to listen to something a little different I can readily suggest this CD.

Ibert's Concertino da camera for Alto Saxophone and 11 instruments is an intriguing and exciting sound world. I find it very colourful and energetic with its rich and varied musical language, tones and moods. I find it very exciting music.

Traverso

Beethoven

CD 1

They are not all masterpieces but  many of them are surely fun to listen to.

aligreto

Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 1 [Brendel]

aligreto

Yesterday:

Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier [Solti]

To my uneducated ear, Crespin sounds wonderful here.

Madiel

Dabbling in Ibert.

Yesterday I tried Histoires for piano. Now trying Escales

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Enjoying that one too. Love the cover !
Olivier

Madiel

More Ibert:

- Flute Concerto (Galway/Dutoit)

- String Quartet (Bridge Quartet, because that was the only recording on my streaming service...)
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Biffo

Purcell: Welcome Ode for Charles II Fly, Bold Rebellion - The Sixteen Choir & Orchestra directed by Harry Christophers - Ode to welcome Charles back to London after a failed assassination attempt at Newmarket Races. After a martial opening movement much of the rest of it is surprisingly gentle.

Purcell: Ode for St Cecilia's Day Welcome to all the pleasures Trevor Pinnock directing The English Concert & Choir

Papy Oli

Ibert - concertino di Camera for Alto Saxophone and 11 instruments.

Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 16, 2020, 05:07:20 AM
Ibert - concertino di Camera for Alto Saxophone and 11 instruments.

What's the Yoshimatsu like Olivier?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on September 16, 2020, 05:09:11 AM
What's the Yoshimatsu like Olivier?

I have only listened to the Ibert, Jeffrey. Sorry.

TD: Ibert - Flute Concerto & String Quartet

Olivier

Papy Oli

Olivier

MN Dave

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

Que

kyjo

Quote from: Daverz on September 15, 2020, 06:21:59 PM
That's a really interesting series.  I'll keep an eye out for that one.  For me, this era (first half of the 20th Century) is the most fertile source of new discoveries.

Totally agree. It's incredible what a quantity and variety of great music was written during these 50 or so years!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

MN Dave

More Reiner: Bartok Concerto for Orch
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

aligreto

Potter: Ceol [Pearce]

This album is a collection of traditional tunes, ranging from laments to dance music, which Potter has orchestrated. These types of things are essentially all about the nature and quality of the orchestration and Potter weaves a rich and colourful tapestry here.