What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel (+ 1 Hidden) and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Traverso

Telemann

CD 4

Further with this attractive set of recordings.:)

vandermolen

Boris Tchaikovsky: Symphony No.3 'Sevastopol Symphony'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

vers la flamme

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 15, 2020, 08:32:55 AM
Dohnanyi: Symphony No. 2
Florida State University SO/Jimenez

Hey, that's where I went to school  ;D Dohnányi composition faculty at Florida State back in the day and the main concert hall there was named for him. Anyway I've been meaning to check out that recording. I don't know his music all that well.

Now playing:

Maurice Ravel: Gaspard de la nuit; Valses nobles et sentimentales. Pascal Rogé

Rogé's a killer pianist, and his Ravel is second only to Samson François for me (though much less idiosyncratic than monsieur François, Rogé might be considered a better reference). I have the rather acclaimed Jean-Efflam Bavouzet set (on MDG) sitting on my desk, unplayed. Haven't been in much a Ravel mood since I bought it, it was a random find, though I am finding his music creeping back into my listening now that the weather is cooling off a bit.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Daverz on September 15, 2020, 06:21:59 PM
That's a really interesting series.  I'll keep an eye out for that one.  For me, this era (first half of the 20th Century) is the most fertile source of new discoveries.

That's the first CD of that series I explore and it was utterly utterly rewarding. You could like it too. I tend to agree with you on the last sentence. Certainly most of my favorite music ever belongs to that period.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

The Canticle of the Sun

A strange piece but intriguing at once.

Piano Concerto No. 1

I did not recall how astonishing this work is. Mysterious, somber, nocturnal. This seems to be his most underrated concerto (not to say his VC 1).
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Todd

Yet another go.  It gets better with each listen.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 16, 2020, 05:41:39 AM
I have only listened to the Ibert, Jeffrey. Sorry.

TD: Ibert - Flute Concerto & String Quartet

I see a theme there. Granted, nothing to do with the composer...

TD
Beethoven
PCs 3/4
Bavouzet/Swedish Chamber Orchestra

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vers la flamme

Johann Sebastian Bach: Toccata & Fugue in D minor, BWV 565; Trio Sonata No.1 in E-flat major, BWV 525. Helmut Walcha

It's maybe once in a blue moon that I'm in the mood for Bach organ music, but it's usually Walcha I reach for. I need to explore more of this music sometime.

TheGSMoeller

MN Dave

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

Symphonic Addict

Charming piano trios. Not as substantial as some of their contemporaries, but they're entertaining enough. The No. 7 in A minor is the best of the bunch.

Noam Chomsky

SimonNZ

Quote from: aligreto on September 16, 2020, 02:54:46 AM
Yesterday:

Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier [Solti]

To my uneducated ear, Crespin sounds wonderful here.

There's many mentions of the Solti recording of Rosenkavalier in the Murakami novel I recently finished (Killing Commendatore). And to Mozart's Don Giovanni, the opening of which gives the book its title.

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 16, 2020, 06:09:15 PM

Charming piano trios. Not as substantial as some of their contemporaries, but they're entertaining enough. The No. 7 in A minor is the best of the bunch.
And two great paintings by Caspar David Friedrich - one of my favourite artists.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Que

Via Spotify, seems like a great set!  :)

[asin]B01N7KSVXH[/asin]

Papy Oli

Good morning all.

Dag Wiren - String quartets 2-3

Olivier

Papy Oli

Varese - Arcana, Nocturnal, Un Grand sommeil noir

Olivier

Papy Oli

Rameau - Ouvertures (Rousset, Talens Lyriques)

Olivier

Maestro267

Prokofiev: Symphony No. 1; Russian Overture*
London SO/PO*/Weller