What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 23, 2020, 12:13:06 AM
+1 for that great recording of 'The Age of Anxiety' Kyle. Does the DGG Ives set include 'Three Places in New England'?

A great recording indeed, Jeffrey! And to answer your question: nope, it doesn't.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 23, 2020, 12:49:08 AM
Ole Schmidt: 'Jeanne d'Arc'. A fascinating score from 1983 for the silent film directed by Carl Dreyer (1927).
I have the generosity of André of this forum to thank for this fascinating disc. I was only aware of Ole Schmidt as the conductor of the performance of Havergal Brian's 'Gothic Symphony' which I attended in London in 1980 and as the conductor of a famous cycle of Nielsen symphonies. I had no idea that he was a composer as well. There is a motto theme which sounds very much like 'Scarborough Fair'. This is atmospheric and rewarding music. I'd love to see film with the accompanying score - a most interesting discovery which I shall look forward to playing again:

Very interesting Jeffrey! I see there are recordings of his concerti and string quartets on Dacapo and Danacord.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on September 23, 2020, 07:51:25 PM
Very interesting Jeffrey! I see there are recordings of his concerti and string quartets on Dacapo and Danacord.
Hi Kyle - yes, thanks to André it's been a very rewarding discovery - thoroughly recommended.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 23, 2020, 11:40:52 AM

Night on Bald Mountain (original version)

The quintessential wizardry music (along with Berlioz's last movement from Symphonie Fantastique) It's quite different from the Rimsky-Korsakov's version, it has more authenticity and more vitality. I would even think I prefer this version.

BTW, the whole CD is excellent.
I agree Cesar as I had the original LP - one of my favourite Mussorgsky disc. Khovanschina Prelude was particularly atmospheric I remember.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on September 23, 2020, 07:49:16 PM
A great recording indeed, Jeffrey! And to answer your question: nope, it doesn't.
OK thanks for the info. Kyle.

Que

Morning listening (via Spotify):

Q

Papy Oli

Discovering and enjoying this one greatly:

Olivier

Biffo

Bax: Overture, Elegy & Rondo - BBC Philharmonic Orchestra, Orchestra conducted by Sir Andrew Davis

Papy Oli

JS Bach - Concerto for 2 Violins in D minor, BWV 1043

Olivier

Florestan

Quote from: aligreto on September 23, 2020, 01:03:34 PM
Andrei, that was so good in so many ways  8)

Glad you enjoyed it.

I suggest that you are made Cultural Ambassador for your country  ;D

Thanks. I'll send you the address of the Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs so you could file your suggestion properly.  ;)
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Biffo

More Bax - Nympholept Nature Poem for Orchestra - London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Bryden Thomson - marvellous atmospheric work with a hint of Debussy in the opening.

Madiel

Shostakovich, Violin Concerto No.2.

First proper listen.

EDIT: Love it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Artem

Schubert's 5th. What a delightful symphony. Perfect for a sunny day like today.

[asin]B000001GQL[/asin]

Biffo

Purcell: Welcome Song for James II: Sound the trumpet beat the drum - The Sixteen Choir & Orchestra directed by Harry Christophers

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Someone praised Weingartner's String quartets yesterday or the day before (edit: Kyle and Cesar), a new name to me. I sampled Vol.1 & 2 earlier on with pleasant results.

Now listening to his symphonies :

Olivier

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Madiel

Debussy, Estampes

Written in 1903. There might be a couple of other Debussy triptychs from c.1903-05 on my listening horizon.

EDIT: Next triptych: Masques / D'un cahier d'esquisses / L'isle joyeuse.  For which there is strong evidence they were intended to be a group, and most likely were separated by publishing wrangles.

SECOND EDIT: And the next is the first set of Images.

Papy Oli

Myaskovsky - Symphony No.1

I completed wallowed in that Larghetto  :o

And onto No.25.
Olivier