What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Florestan

This series is sheer delight, charm and beauty, including the Giuliani filler on the third disc. Highly recommended.

Piano Sonata no. 1 op. 4

I'm quite fond of this ugly duckling. It doesn't sound much like Chopin except in the slow mvt, but it doesn't sound like anyone else either. And the music is quite passionate and melodic, albeit not as memorable as the other two sonatas. Certainly not among his best efforts but far from the failure some critiics and performers claim it to be.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on October 08, 2020, 10:57:17 PM
Well, in Romanian one can have a whole dialogue with vocals only.

- Oaia aia e a ei?
- A ei e.
- O iau eu.
- Ia-o!

ie

- Is that sheep hers?
- It's hers.
- I'll take it.
- Take it!

I had dinner with some Romanian friends last night, and I showed them this. Then they tried to teach me how to say it!  What the fuck!

A source of great amusement. Thank you.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on October 16, 2020, 03:43:30 AM
Ha. I've been busy watching the NRL first (Canberra was playing)... but AFL is poetry in motion. Perhaps not this year so much.

Anyway, "I spent some time today" means hours ago, at work.

Commiserations are in order by the looks of it. There's always next year, I guess...  :-X

Like the NRL Final Series by the looks of it, the only reason I watched the AFL today was me being intrigued by the BT sport listing of the game as a "Preliminary Final"...  ??? Went to wiki, read about the Final 8 system and there I was. BT Sport has shown the AFL games in the last few weeks. I watched a quarter here and there but this was the first full match I watched. It was a (v. good) surprise to see a sport event on with a large crowd at last. Gripping game by the way but it takes some getting used to. That's a different planet ! Some of the commentators accents were quite..broad too! I was quite happy to have learnt the expression "Missing the Granny" but given your team's result today, that now feels quite untimely  :-[  0:)

anyway, TD :

Olivier

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on October 16, 2020, 04:26:19 AM
I had dinner with some Romanian friends last night, and I showed them this. Then they tried to teach me how to say it!  What the fuck!

A source of great amusement. Thank you.

:D :D :D

You're welcome.

Iota

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 16, 2020, 02:48:05 AM
More Koechlin Piano works.
Nouvelles sonatines No. 3, Op. 87
Second album de Lilian, Op. 149
Au loin, Op. 2, No. 2
Nouvelles sonatines No. 1, Op. 87
Premier album de Lilian, Op. 139

Nice and pleasant but very same-y. It all merged into one since Paysages & Marines to be honest.

Much as I like his lighter piano music, I'm not surprised! Personally speaking I wouldn't listen to all that lot in one go, some kinds of music shines best in smaller doses I think. Then again I'm not single-handedly taking on practically the entire French classical canon, so respectfully concede that sometimes needs must!  8)

Here:

Bach: WTC Book II

This all comes out so naturally and clear-sightedly, a great pleasure to listen to. Like Roger Woodward she makes the C# major prelude a thing of surpassing beauty, always a good sign when that's done well.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 16, 2020, 02:48:05 AM
More Koechlin Piano works.
Nouvelles sonatines No. 3, Op. 87
Second album de Lilian, Op. 149
Au loin, Op. 2, No. 2
Nouvelles sonatines No. 1, Op. 87
Premier album de Lilian, Op. 139

Nice and pleasant but very same-y. It all merged into one since Paysages & Marines to be honest.
Among the lesser known French piano music composers from that period, Samazeuilh, Ropartz or Schmitt are generally more interesting, IMHO. I must say that I find a good deal of Koechlin of little interest.

MusicTurner

Quote from: kyjo on October 15, 2020, 06:55:49 PM... favorite works by Françaix? The guy wrote so much music, it's hard to know where to start!

Francaix strikes a more serious or complicated note for example in the Apocalypse de St Jean, and some of the concertos and works for string orchestra; the Octet, A Huit played by the Esbjerg Ensemble is quite fabulous, IMHO.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Iota on October 16, 2020, 04:53:39 AM
Much as I like his lighter piano music, I'm not surprised! Personally speaking I wouldn't listen to all that lot in one go, some kinds of music shines best in smaller doses I think. Then again I'm not single-handedly taking on practically the entire French classical canon, so respectfully concede that sometimes needs must!  8)

My plan for now is to go through only some remaining key works this weekend (Heures Persannes piano and orch version, Buisson Ardent, symphony for Seven stars, Offrande Musicale sur le nom de Bach, Docteur Fabricius) then I'll call it quits on those boxsets and start a new composer on Monday. I have bookmarked 3-4 specific CD's of his oboe, bassoon and other chamber music but since I have had a good impression of what I have heard so far in those instruments, I'll do them later on. A full week on Koechlin will be plenty enough an introduction ???  :laugh:

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 16, 2020, 04:58:44 AM

Among the lesser known French piano music composers from that period, Samazeuilh, Ropartz or Schmitt are generally more interesting, IMHO. I must say that I find a good deal of Koechlin of little interest.

Ropartz, Schmitt and Francaix are in my list. Looking forward to discover then.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Koechlin - Seven Stars' Symphony

Olivier

Traverso

Iota

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 16, 2020, 05:19:05 AM
My plan for now is to go through only some remaining key works this weekend (Heures Persannes piano and orch version, Buisson Ardent, symphony for Seven stars, Offrande Musicale sur le nom de Bach, Docteur Fabricius) then I'll call it quits on those boxsets and start a new composer on Monday. I have bookmarked 3-4 specific CD's of his oboe, bassoon and other chamber music but since I have had a good impression of what I have heard so far in those instruments, I'll do them later on. A full week on Koechlin will be plenty enough an introduction ???  :laugh:

Sounds like a plan! Great you have some takeaway chamber music goodies from your Koechlin stop, Charles doesn't seem to have come out of the encounter too badly!  ;D

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mookalafalas

First listen to Heidsieck LvB Sonatas.  Wow. Right from 1 you know: this is something remarkable. And they just get better and better.
It's all good...

Brian

Head to head review:

Tchaikovsky SIX
Currentzis / MusicAeterna vs. Levine / Chicago Symphony

Here's my review:
The Currentzis recording, my cat slept through the first movement development just fine.
The Levine recording, the sudden fortissimo thwack that starts the development woke my cat up, the ensuing noise made her make bug eyes and widen her ears, and eventually she ran out of the room in fear.

Guess Levine wins  ;D ;D ;D

Traverso

William Alwyn

Just arrived a box set containing music that is completely unknown to me with the exception of the Britten quartets.

CD1

Harry

Quote from: Brian on October 16, 2020, 07:32:34 AM
Head to head review:

Tchaikovsky SIX

Here's my review:
The Currentzis recording, my cat slept through the first movement development just fine.
The Levine recording, the sudden fortissimo thwack that starts the development woke my cat up, the ensuing noise made her make bug eyes and widen her ears, and eventually she ran out of the room in fear.

In all my years of collecting Tchaikovsky's music, the Currentzis performance must be the greatest disaster I ever encountered. This conductor is bad news.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Florestan

Quote from: "Harry" on October 16, 2020, 07:58:20 AM
In all my years of collecting Tchaikovsky's music, the Currentzis performance must be the greatest disaster I ever encountered.

Worse than the Dutoit/Amoyal/Philharmonia Orchestra Violin Concerto?

Florestan

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 16, 2020, 04:58:44 AM
Among the lesser known French piano music composers from that period, Samazeuilh, Ropartz or Schmitt are generally [...] interesting, IMHO.

Reynaldo Hahn as well. Vincent d'Indy has some nice piano music too. From an earlier generation, Gounod and Bizet.

Nohing profound and earth-shattering, of course --- just colorful, tuneful, sensuous and beautiful music (which in my book is enough.)

Wanderer

Quote from: Brian on October 16, 2020, 07:32:34 AM
Head to head review:

Tchaikovsky SIX

Here's my review:

Most conductors in this work supposedly reach for depths of despair and end up reaching for varying degrees of angst-kitsch (probably what the cat responded to;), instead. Currentzis, on the other hand, is the rare performance that manages to show psychological insight and sincere emotion behind all the work's histrionics; true sentiment without sentimentality. I found the first movement's climaxes, in particular, profoundly devastating.