What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry (+ 1 Hidden) and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Maestro267

Villa-Lobos: Symphony No. 2 ("Ascenscao")
Sao Paolo SO/Karabtchevsky

Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasileiras Nos. 3 & 6
Royal PO/Batiz (No. 3)
Hansen (flute), Bell (bassoon) (No. 6)

MusicTurner

Quote from: vandermolen on October 17, 2020, 10:15:59 PM
Interesting! The Mathis symphony is the only Hindemith which I really like. I have an old DGG LP with Hindemith conducting.

Maybe try "Harmonie der Welt" with Mravinsky (though as far as I remember Hindemith also recorded it, and you migh already have it). Currently it's not that many works by him that grab me either, but it goes up and down ...

EDIT: Yes, Hindemith recorded it too, I have it on an old Decca LP.

prémont

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 18, 2020, 03:00:49 AM
Maybe try "Harmonie der Welt" with Mravinsky (though as far as I remember Hindemith also recorded it, and you migh already have it). Currently it's not that many works by him that grab me either, but it goes up and down ...

Ludus Tonalis,
the organ sonatas and
the concert music for strings and brass
are my Hindemith favorites.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

springrite

Quote from: Daverz on October 17, 2020, 11:30:05 PM
Bernstein also recorded a great Symphony in E Flat.
That is both my favorite Hindemith work as well as favorite recording of his work.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

T. D.

Quote from: The new erato on October 17, 2020, 10:24:58 PM
I haven't seen Asin tags on my Android Chrome for quote some time either.

Nor I on my PC Chrome. But I do get directed to the relevant Amazon page by clicking on the "Image Unavailable" displayed.

Pohjolas Daughter

This morning:  Martinu's Sinfonietta Giocosa for piano and small orchestra with Jan Panenka and the Prague Chamber Orchestra with Bohumil Gregor.  Very enjoyable...a bright, upbeat and driving work written on a tram whilst Martinu was going back and forth between Aix and Marseilles (from September to November 1940) trying to get his visa paperwork in order so as to flee to the United States.  Lovely playing by everyone and in great sound.

https://www.supraphonline.cz/album/586-martinu-sinfonietta-giocossa-divertimento/flac

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

ritter

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 18, 2020, 02:11:53 AM
Good morning all,

Koechlin - Le Buisson Ardent & Les Heures Persanes (orch. version)
Good day, Olivier.

I do enjoy some Koechlin, but am not that keen on Les heures perzzzzZZZZZZZ......  ;)

Papy Oli

Quote from: ritter on October 18, 2020, 05:02:58 AM
Good day, Olivier.

I do enjoy some Koechlin, but am not that keen on Les heures perzzzzZZZZZZZ......  ;)

Hello Rafael,

That's my general feeling on his orchestral works. It either takes an awful long time for something to happen, or nothing much happens. Le Buisson ardent had its moments but it took a long time to get there.
Olivier

Irons

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 18, 2020, 04:02:52 AM
Ludus Tonalis,
the organ sonatas and

I would add Nobilissima Visione. Not the first name to come to mind for Hindemith but Klemperer is very good.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

MusicTurner

Franck - Psyche, complete, for orchestra & chorus /Otaka /chandos CD
Quite nice, it may be the first listen to the complete version of the work ... Otaka usually isn't among the most temperamental of conductors, however.

Music of the Bach sons - Concerto, Sinfonias ... /Concerto Köln /capriccio CD
Well, I would have preferred a less chamber-like ensemble here ...

MusicTurner

Cyril Scott - Piano Concerto; Cello Concerto; Pelleas & Melisande /Donohoe,Yates etc. /dutton CD
An interesting disc. Pelleas & Melisande is a beautiful, lyrical piece; the Piano Concerto has an incredible number of notes, and a very mixed style of both hammering series of chords, Chinese (?) exoticism etc., it's almost Sorabjian at times and a bit difficult to relate to at first. Regarding the Cello Concerto - well, I'll have to listen to it again, not sure about it.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vers la flamme

Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No.3 in E-flat major, op.55, the "Eroica". Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic (1977 recording)

Wow, this is excellent! Gotta give it to HvK, he had a great feel for Beethoven. The perfect balance of classical balance and romantic fire. I'm happy to have this cycle; it's becoming a valuable reference.

Karl Henning

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 18, 2020, 04:02:52 AM
Ludus Tonalis,
the organ sonatas and

Top-drawer Hindemith
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 18, 2020, 04:54:32 AM
This morning:  Martinu's Sinfonietta Giocosa for piano and small orchestra with Jan Panenka and the Prague Chamber Orchestra with Bohumil Gregor.  Very enjoyable...a bright, upbeat and driving work written on a tram whilst Martinu was going back and forth between Aix and Marseilles (from September to November 1940) trying to get his visa paperwork in order so as to flee to the United States.  Lovely playing by everyone and in great sound.

https://www.supraphonline.cz/album/586-martinu-sinfonietta-giocossa-divertimento/flac

PD

Very nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

Revisiting this recording from the Bolet RCA box.  Sometimes, big names deliver blockbuster recordings.  This is most definitely one of those times. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

pjme

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 18, 2020, 05:13:57 AM
Hello Rafael,

That's my general feeling on his orchestral works. It either takes an awful long time for something to happen, or nothing much happens. Le Buisson ardent had its moments but it took a long time to get there.
/quote]

For Koechlin, you need to go in Bruckner - listening -mode!  ;)

Traverso

Béla Bartók

Music for strings,percussion and celesta

kyjo

Quote from: ritter on October 17, 2020, 07:05:52 AM
I didn't find W-F's Violin Concerto interesting either (TBH, I found it extremely dull and tedious), but do admire some of his other works (e.g., the concerti for wind instruments), and am a great fan of his operas. The late Il campiello is W-F at the top of his game IMO. Do give it a try... :)

Thanks for your input, Rafael! :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Traverso