What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 21, 2020, 03:40:32 PM
That set of string quartets + the Octet is a treasure. Most of his quartets are full of charm and certain rustic air I find very beguiling.

I fully concur, Cesar. 8)

André

As is often the case with viennese choral societies, sopranos and altos inject a hefty dose of vibrato to their sound. It's part and parcel of practically all choral performances recorded in Vienna. It's a sound that differs markedly from that produced by english choirs. Even german choirs have evolved toward a purer sound. It's not a defect, but a characteristic of how music is made in Vienna.

This is a goodish version of the work, with some movements tastefully completed by H.C. Robbins Landon. I don't detect much in the way of affection and involvement though. Recorded in the bicentenary year it sounds more dutiful than inspired. There is an important solo part in the work, for the first soprano. The second soprano is rarely heard except in duet with I or in the short quartet portions, although some versions have soprano II sing the big Laudamus te aria (soprano I sings the Et incarnatus est) thus evening out duties between them. Mozart wrote the main soprano part for his wife Constanze (née Weber). Soprano Elizabeth Norberg-Schulz sings well but does not soar angelically at et homo factus est, a key moment if ever there was one.

Mirror Image

The 5th disc from this set which is predominantly works for two pianos:

Symphonic Addict

Bacchus et Ariane

I think it's one of Roussel's masterpieces. And I also think Prokofiev had to hear this work in his lifetime. I heard some gestures there that brought the Russian man to my mind.

Piano Quintet, Op. 29

I was expecting something folksy and lively, but alas, it turned out to be a very discordant piece. Despite that, it has an otherworldly feel to it I found certainly entrancing, mostly in the Scherzo fantastico. Another original feature is the cadenzas for the different instruments: one cadenza for viola and cello, one for two violins and the last one for piano.

Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima

Just jaw-dropping, and scary in the right context. WOW!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Good to see you listen to Roussel and Ginastera, Cesar. Two composers whose music I really enjoy. Villa-Lobos, Chávez, Revueltas and Ginastera, for me, are the most important Latin American composers and I love each of them.

Mirror Image

Since I've been listening to a good bit of Milhaud, I wonder where Rafael has been? It's be nice to know where he's at in his own collection.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 21, 2020, 06:24:17 PM
Good to see you listen to Roussel and Ginastera, Cesar. Two composers whose music I really enjoy. Villa-Lobos, Chávez, Revueltas and Ginastera, for me, are the most important Latin American composers and I love each of them.

Those composers are definitely the most characteristic and innovative from Latin America. I would add Guarnieri because of his symphonies. I don't listen to Revueltas that much, but I do regard him as a fantastic composer. For me he's like the Mexican Stravinsky.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 21, 2020, 06:32:25 PM
Those composers are definitely the most characteristic and innovative from Latin America. I would add Guarnieri because of his symphonies. I don't listen to Revueltas that much, but I do regard him as a fantastic composer. For me he's like the Mexican Stravinsky.

Ah yes, Guarnieri is quite good. I enjoyed all of those symphony recordings on BIS. Outside of these works, I don't know this composer too well, but recordings of his music certainly aren't bountiful by any means.

Mirror Image

Koechlin
String Quartet No. 3, Op. 72
Antigone Quartet

Carlo Gesualdo

Willaert pronounced Ville hert in Flemish if I am accurated   w in Flemish are v minor detail but everything count in life hey?

The cequenecento is pretty good, charming and fluid voices, I don't see flaws, Mandryka what do you think QUE  anyone...

Hello folks at home

Mirror Image

One more work for the night:

Diamond
String Quartet No. 3
Potomac String Quartet

Que

Quote from: deprofundis on November 21, 2020, 08:36:50 PM
Willaert pronounced Ville hert in Flemish if I am accurated   w in Flemish are v minor detail but everything count in life hey?

The cequenecento is pretty good, charming and fluid voices, I don't see flaws, Mandryka what do you think QUE  anyone...

Hello folks at home

That Cinquecento recording (Hyperion) is wonderful!  :)
Willaert (Flemish-Dutch) would (in French) sound something like: ville - art, but with a "t" that isn't muted.
I also the two sets (Petrarca Madrigals & Motets) by Singer Pur.

Morning listening (this time on disc):

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/Jan/Lassus_responsories_TOCC0404.htm

Still a gorgeous recording....  :)

Q

Madiel

Beethoven op.130, going for the revised ending.

EDIT: I just don't understand the modern preference for the Grosse Fugue. Yes, it's a great, imposing and terribly serious piece of music. And thus not nearly as well suited to the work as a whole. Trying to make every piece of music great, imposing and terribly serious just because it's by Beethoven is misconceived.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: Que on November 21, 2020, 11:42:57 PM
That Cinquecento recording (Hyperion) is wonderful!  :)
Willaert (Flemish-Dutch) would (in French) sound something like: ville - art, but with a "t" that isn't muted.
I also the two sets (Petrarca Madrigals & Motets) by Singer Pur.

Morning listening (this time on disc):

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/Jan/Lassus_responsories_TOCC0404.htm

Still a gorgeous recording....  :)

Q
Hello QUE great buddy, I am glad you like the Cequencento recording and Singer Pur, out off the Blue I subject another obscur composer for you Jacob van Berchem on Accent record  La Faviola DI Orlando.. it's very great and to my knowledge it's the only recording devoted to Berchem alone all does I could be wrong, it's one of my favorite recording may not be the best but I's the only one I found, I T's very theatrical and intriguing not to mention interesting try it. Have A good day !! thanks!!

vandermolen

Yesterday I listened to the Pearl CD of Vaughan Williams conducting his own 'Dona Nobis Pacem'. It was the first broadcast from 1936 and I found it deeply moving, more-so than the more modern recordings, good as they are. It's a pity that VW did not record more of his own music. Of the major works there is only DNP and symphonies 4 and 5:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Britten: Cello Symphony
Rostropovich (cello)/English Chamber Orchestra/Britten

Biffo

Telemann: Quartet in E minor
Handel: Four German Arias - Dorothea Röschmann soprano
Teleman: Quartet in G major

Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin

From the Handel Famous Arias set

Madiel

Brahms, Ballads and Romances op.75

I hope the pianist got paid extra danger money.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

K 421. Qobuz. Old style Mozart, not quite disarming totally, I occasionally got frustrated because I wanted a bit less pulse stiffness, a bit less static-ness (what's the noun from static? Stasis maybe?), a bit more contrast, but still, they are what they are and it's the tone they make which is memorable, worth a listen for that at least.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen