What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry, Madiel and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Maestro267

Ginastera: Cello Concerto No. 1
Kosower (cello)/Bamberg SO/Zagrosek

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on November 22, 2020, 06:50:56 AM
I have no comparison but I feel no need for other recordings,it's really fine playing. :)

By the way I'm waiting for the grrrrreat Erato Milhaud set

8) Very nice, Jan. Good to see you bought that Milhaud set. I hope it didn't cost you too much and you were able to get a good deal on it.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on November 22, 2020, 06:47:14 AM
Vaughan Williams:
Five Tudor Portraits
William Steinberg, Pittsburgh SO (1952)
An exciting version

I have this in the Steinberg Icon box but gave up on it part way through as the sound was appalling - perhaps I need to revisit it.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on November 22, 2020, 06:58:19 AM
I have this in the Steinberg Icon box but gave up on it part way through as the sound was appalling - perhaps I need to revisit it.

I don't have a problem with the sound. Nor did I object to the 1936 recording of VW conducting Dona Nobis Pacem but I'm not a particular Hi-Fi buff. There are a couple of authorised cuts in this recording of FTP but they don't worry me as it does ramble a bit in places.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 22, 2020, 06:54:40 AM
8) Very nice, Jan. Good to see you bought that Milhaud set. I hope it didn't cost you too much and you were able to get a good deal on it.

Thank you John,I bought it for an attractive price  :)  It's time to explore his music !

steve ridgway

Stockhausen - Prozession. Starting to sound better on second listening.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on November 22, 2020, 07:08:49 AM
Thank you John,I bought it for an attractive price  :)  It's time to explore his music !

8)

Traverso

Poulenc

CD5

Sonate pour flûte et piano - Sonate pour hautbois et piano - Sonate pour clarinette et piano - Elégie pour cor et piano - Sonate pour 2 clarinettes - Sonate pour clarinette et basson - Sonate pour cor, trompette et trombone - 3 mouvements perpétuels pour 9 instruments

Emmanuel Pahud, Michel Debost, Jacques Février, Maurice Bourgue, Michel Portal, Alan Civil, Maurice Gabai, Amaury Wallez, John Wilbraham, John Iveson, Orchestre De La Garde Républicaine, François Boulange

Beautiful music for Flute and Clarinet  and a few pieces wich are completely new for me.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on November 22, 2020, 07:22:21 AM
Poulenc

CD5

Sonate pour flûte et piano - Sonate pour hautbois et piano - Sonate pour clarinette et piano - Elégie pour cor et piano - Sonate pour 2 clarinettes - Sonate pour clarinette et basson - Sonate pour cor, trompette et trombone - 3 mouvements perpétuels pour 9 instruments

Emmanuel Pahud, Michel Debost, Jacques Février, Maurice Bourgue, Michel Portal, Alan Civil, Maurice Gabai, Amaury Wallez, John Wilbraham, John Iveson, Orchestre De La Garde Républicaine, François Boulange

Beautiful music for Flute and Clarinet  and a few pieces wich are completely new for me.

8)

Mirror Image

Milhaud
String Quartet No. 1, Op. 5
Quatuor Parisii

The prices this box set are going for are close to $200. I paid a good bit for my set (not $200), but it was worth every penny.

steve ridgway

Luc Ferrari - J'ai été coupé, 1969.

steve ridgway

Mirror Image

This entire recording (and yes, it's outstanding):

André

Orchestra and chorus are superb. Barenboim's conducting is effective in pacing the work, if unsubtle in balancing tenderness and terror, religious feeling and theatrical drama. The soloists are a good bunch, although Meier is no real mezzo, the bottom part of her voice lacks body. Domingo is too forwardly miked for my taste but there's no denying he has power and brilliance to spare. Turiddu goes to church. Bass Ferruccio Furlanetto twirls his mustache and snarls lustily, but the voice is a bit woolly and lacks the panache and suavity of Ghiaurov or Siepi. Soprano Alessandra Marc's powerful but well-controlled voice stands out and her contribution is reason enough to listen to this version again - along with that fabulous orchestra and chorus. The sound is very good.

Que

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on November 21, 2020, 09:01:09 AM

I had forgotten just how wonderful this music is. It turned a cloudy, humid and bleak afternoon into a sunlit and warm "land of smiles".

Oh yes! Wonderful music, above all his PCs and piano trios. Not only is Saint-Saëns' music utterly delightful and enchanting, but it is really satisfying too.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 21, 2020, 12:06:02 PM
I just couldn't deal with Mahler today, so...

That's me most days anymore! I recognize that Mahler was a singularly great composer, but most days I prefer music that's a bit less manic-depressive. ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff