What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian, pianoforever, Linz, ritter, Spotted Horses and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 21, 2020, 06:15:41 PM

Bacchus et Ariane

I think it's one of Roussel's masterpieces. And I also think Prokofiev had to hear this work in his lifetime. I heard some gestures there that brought the Russian man to my mind.

Piano Quintet, Op. 29

I was expecting something folksy and lively, but alas, it turned out to be a very discordant piece. Despite that, it has an otherworldly feel to it I found certainly entrancing, mostly in the Scherzo fantastico. Another original feature is the cadenzas for the different instruments: one cadenza for viola and cello, one for two violins and the last one for piano.

Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima

Just jaw-dropping, and scary in the right context. WOW!

Bacchus et Ariane is not only one of Roussel's greatest works, but one of the great ballets of the 20th century IMO. And I totally agree about the Prokofiev connection. Their music shares that same "sweet and spicy" combination that I find so fascinating.

And yeah, the Ginastera PQ will certainly come as a shock to anyone expecting something like Estancia! I should give it another go.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Sterna

Domenico Gallo (1730-1768): Trio Sonatas.
Parnassi Musici.
CPO, released in 2000.

Lovely music, with a few Aha-Erlebnisse from Stravinsky's Pulcinella.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 21, 2020, 08:50:30 PM
One more work for the night:

Diamond
String Quartet No. 3
Potomac String Quartet

A beautiful work! Jeffrey (vandermolen) just needs to hear it! ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on November 22, 2020, 06:47:14 AM
Vaughan Williams:
Five Tudor Portraits
William Steinberg, Pittsburgh SO (1952)
An exciting version

Very interesting! I never knew the Pittsburgh SO had recorded any RVW. Oh, and despite being a huge fan of the composer, I still haven't heard Five Tudor Portraits...

Karl Henning

Jn Ogdon playing the Mendelssohn & Schumann pf concerti
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 22, 2020, 07:31:32 AM
Milhaud
String Quartet No. 1, Op. 5
Quatuor Parisii

The prices this box set are going for are close to $200. I paid a good bit for my set (not $200), but it was worth every penny.

A gorgeous work in Milhaud's extremely attractive early style. I really should get around to hearing more of his SQs...

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 22, 2020, 11:37:15 AM
That's me most days anymore! I recognize that Mahler was a singularly great composer, but most days I prefer music that's a bit less manic-depressive. ;)

I prefer Mahler's lieder (incl. orchestral lieder) and Das Lied von der Erde. I do still think highly of his 3rd symphony and think it's one of the greatest symphonies of all-time.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 22, 2020, 11:51:34 AM
A gorgeous work in Milhaud's extremely attractive early style. I really should get around to hearing more of his SQs...

You definitely should, Kyle! Great works.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 22, 2020, 11:44:20 AM
A beautiful work! Jeffrey (vandermolen) just needs to hear it! ;)

Hmmm...I'm surprised Jeffrey hasn't heard it given his championship of Diamond's music. He definitely needs to rectify this, ASAP.

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on November 22, 2020, 04:22:22 AM
Aint'it a terrific work? I loved it at first sight listen, though not in that incarnation (Claus Peter Flor et al.)

Yes I enjoyed Walpurgisnacht. I have to admit I wasn't paying close attention but Mendelssohn clearly put a lot of colour in there. I could hear storms and witches alright.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Sibelius
Sonatina in F sharp minor, Op. 67 No. 1
Sonatina in E major, Op. 67 No. 2
Sonatina in B flat minor, Op. 67, No. 3
Four Lyric Pieces, Op. 74
Five Pieces, Op. 75 'The Trees'

Folke Gräsbeck (piano)

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 22, 2020, 11:52:28 AM
I prefer Mahler's lieder (incl. orchestral lieder) and Das Lied von der Erde. I do still think highly of his 3rd symphony and think it's one of the greatest symphonies of all-time.

I do still enjoy the 3rd symphony and Des Knaben Wunderhorn very much, along with the first two symphonies. It's been ages since I've heard DLvdE.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 22, 2020, 11:54:04 AM
Hmmm...I'm surprised Jeffrey hasn't heard it given his championship of Diamond's music. He definitely needs to rectify this, ASAP.

IIRC, he's yet to hear it!

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 18, 2020, 12:47:20 PM

The symphony is the epitome of pleasantness. Very pretty but too long for its material as well, I fear. 54 minutes long for practically the same mood running throughout is too mellifluous for my taste. I think I'm getting less tolerant with works like this one.

I agree with most of what you say, except that in my case it's just so gorgeous that I simply forget its longueurs and lack of contrast! The second movement, especially, is sheer pastoral bliss IMO.

Mandryka

Quote from: Sterna on November 22, 2020, 11:28:12 AM
Thanks for this!

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I thought it was very nicely done. Especially the eyes top left on drop.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 22, 2020, 12:38:02 PM
IIRC, he's yet to hear it!

Oh dear... ::)

NP:

Villa-Lobos
Bachianas Brasileiras No. 9
Orchestre National de la Radiodiffusion Française
Heitor Villa-Lobos

A special performance. I would rate this as grand and heartfelt as Sibelius conducting his own Andante Festivo or Stravinsky conducting his L'oiseau de feu. That kind of sense of occasion and purpose.

André

Overture, symphony no 3 and orchestral suite after poems by Hölderlin. Another quality issue from Thorofon's Genzmer series.

T. D.

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 22, 2020, 07:31:32 AM
Milhaud
String Quartet No. 1, Op. 5
Quatuor Parisii

The prices this box set are going for are close to $200. I paid a good bit for my set (not $200), but it was worth every penny.

I doubt that trades are occurring at that (emphasis added) level, but unfortunately that's the current offered side. Damn, I checked discogs and the set has been trading north of $200!
I might be able to find 1 or 2 of the constituent discs are semi-reasonable prices, but if I buy them the set will likely then be reissued at super-budget price!  :'(