What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

André

From 1918 and 1932.

No 4 is a bleak work, seemingly drained of emotion (the heading of the central movement is Largo, freddo e senza espressione  ???). As if to make up the corpse the following and last movement is an Allegro energico e marcato. It's also the least interesting movement. The first two are colossally intimidating in their bleakness. I'm not sure they could have been topped - or at least equalled - by anything else.

No 11 was composed in 1932 and was Myaskovsky's first symphony after an unusually long hiatus of 5 years. He churned out 6 symphonies in the period 1932-34. His lifelong friend Prokofiev had written to him as early as 1908 that « Unlike Richard Wagner, you have the characteristic of always being dissatisfied with yourself ». These bouts of silence followed by a rush of activity were recurrent in his career, suggesting he may have been manic depressive. Be that as it may, the 11th presents strongly profiled themes, a lot of rythmic action as if the composer's creative juices were flowing once more irrepressibly.

These first two movements of no 4 are certain to etch in the memory.

As usual, playing and conducting are extremely committed and the sound fully satisfying. Obviously Svetlanov and friends were on a mission.

Mirror Image

NP:

Stravinsky
Concerto for Two Solo Pianos
Gold & Fizdale

From this set:

JBS

Having played the relevant CD from the Warner Complete Ravel set, I have decided the 2 piano transcription of Bolero is better than the orchestral version, but the 2 piano transcription of Debussy's Nocturnes (also a Ravel transcription) is worse.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Stravinsky
Variations 'Aldous Huxley in memoriam'
Abraham & Isaac
Introitus: T S Eliot in memoriam
Requiem Canticles

Stravinsky, Craft et. al.

From this set:

Carlo Gesualdo

That a fabulous question hey, hhow about  right now listening to Nicolas Gombert on Lyricord, yes capella cordina  une der direction of incredible director Aléjandro Planchart, love what it did wwhit Jacob Obrecht, there there tthat I aam listening and some Gregorian music before I sleep how about Chant Gregorien on Decca it won a prizze.

Mirror Image

Stravinsky
Zvezdolikiy
The dove descending breaks the air
Choral Variations on Vom Himmel Hoch (after J S Bach)
Babel
A Sermon, A Narrative, And A Prayer

Stravinsky et. al.

From this set:

Mirror Image

Mandryka

Philip Glass x Igor Stravinsky = Louis Andriessen. Very entertaining stuff.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mirror Image

This whole disc:

Spellbinding performances!

Madiel

Mozart, Mass no.1 (though possibly not really the 1st)

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Morning listening:

Franco-Flemish music published by the Antwerp based printer Christophe Plantin.
Quite a list of composers on the front cover, but half of this recording is filled with music by Andreas Pevernage - who is new to me and quite a find.

Q

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Encouraged by discussion on the vinyl thread.
Nystroem's Sinfonia del Mare (Stockholm RSO/Westerberg):

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Back to this recording for a bit:

I'm pretty much sold on this....  :)

Q

steve ridgway

Quote from: Traverso on December 05, 2020, 10:41:04 AM
I have this nice collection

https://docplayer.fr/33539656-50th-anniversary-edition-50e-anniversaire.html

That looks fun. I'm avoiding buying any more music now, there's plenty of free stuff I can explore.

Now playing Peter Schat - Signalement.

Que

A recent personal discovery is Baroque violinist Plamena Nikitassova  (via Spotify):

Q

Madiel

90 second samples of Haydn's symphonies 78 to 81...

Biffo

Schoenberg: Verklärte Nacht - Ensemble intercontemporain conducted by Pierre Boulez - string sextet version

Harry

Benjamin Godard.

Symphonic Works.

Symphony No. 2, opus 57.
Trois Morceaux, opus 51.
Symphonie Gothique, opus 23.

Münchner Rundfunkorchester, David Reiland.

Very accessible music, and well performed and recorded.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."