What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

SonicMan46

Dussek, Johann or Jan (1760-1812) - Keyboard Works on fortepianos - Vols. 8 & 9 in the Brilliant series - not sure how many more will be released?  Dave :)

Papy Oli

Olivier

Papy Oli

Olivier

DavidW

Roasted Swan

Another rather wonderful rediscovery buried in amongst discs I own but don't really know.  This time, Atterberg's Symphony No.3 "West Coast Pictures" on CPO.  Couple with the better-known (more familiar to me at least) Symphony No.6 "Dollar Symphony".  But No.3 is positively epic!  Originally 3 separate Tone Poems (Sun Smoke, Storm & Summer Night) that Atterberg brought together under this symphonic title.  Wonderfully sweeping and exciting music in what seems to be a very good performance - I wonder how Jarvi's newer version on Chandos compares? - I imagine its the sort of score that would suit Jarvi well.

I also didn't realise Atterberg was one of the avatars used here until just now either!

Mirror Image

NP: Martinů String Sextet, H 224 (Kocian Quartet et. al.)

T. D.

The late sonatas. From the pictured release; I doubt I'll purchase the new big box.

SonicMan46

Dvorak, Antonin - Cello Concerto & Chamber Works w/ a few other cello chestnuts from Pierre Fournier.  Dave :)

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

NP: Fauré La Chanson D'Ève, Op. 95 (Ameling/Baldwin)

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2021, 10:35:42 AM
NP: Fauré La Chanson D'Ève, Op. 95 (Ameling/Baldwin)
That's a really fine looking LP box,I have the CD's as well. A great set. :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Daverz on January 25, 2021, 02:44:41 PM
Second listen to Igor Markevitch: Icare. 

Very impressive work.  The orchestration is very transparent.  I also remembered that there's a live Bernstein/NYP recording.  I'll check that out next.

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on January 26, 2021, 10:44:58 AM
That's a really fine looking LP box,I have the CD's as well. A great set. :)

I'm actually listening to the CD set, I just posted a photo of the LP box because I like the cover. 8)

Karl Henning

CDs 12 & 13

"Papa"
Symphonies nos. 26 in d minor « Lamentazione », 35 in Bb, 38 in C«  The Echo », 49 in f minor «  La Passione », 58 in F, 59 in A «  Feuersinfonie »
DRD
Stuttgarters
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mandryka

Just seems to be mainly about timbre. Nice though, just the experience of letting the sounds kind of wash over you is agreeable. I'll be definitely exploring it more. Do we not have a thread on the Italian avant garde? Couldn't find one.

There's a booklet here if anyone's curious

https://cdn.naxosmusiclibrary.com/sharedfiles/booklets/SRD/booklet-STR37138.pdf
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Christo

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 26, 2021, 10:03:10 AM
Another rather wonderful rediscovery buried in amongst discs I own but don't really know.  This time, Atterberg's Symphony No.3 "West Coast Pictures" on CPO.  Couple with the better-known (more familiar to me at least) Symphony No.6 "Dollar Symphony".  But No.3 is positively epic!  Originally 3 separate Tone Poems (Sun Smoke, Storm & Summer Night) that Atterberg brought together under this symphonic title.  Wonderfully sweeping and exciting music in what seems to be a very good performance - I wonder how Jarvi's newer version on Chandos compares? - I imagine its the sort of score that would suit Jarvi well.

Great tip, will give it a try soon.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Daverz

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 26, 2021, 10:03:10 AM

I also didn't realise Atterberg was one of the avatars used here until just now either!

Järvi is very good.  Or perhaps I enjoy this symphony whoever conducts it.  So I'm not sure you have to run out and buy it if you have the CPO, but it does have the benefit of an excellent Chandos recording (I do like the warmer sounding CPO sonics, as well.)