What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicalgeek and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 26, 2021, 07:13:28 PM
Is the music partially related to the Day of Dead festival in Mexico? The jacket says feria. The skeleton is left-handed. I wonder if there is any meaning of it.

It's difficult to say. I think the cover art is merely meant to showoff some Mexican art that 'could' be related to Revueltas. The music does have a bit of that festiveness within it, though.

Mirror Image

NP: Chávez String Quartet No. 2 (Southwest Chamber Music)

Symphonic Addict

Souvenir de Florence from here:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: DavidW on January 26, 2021, 05:13:42 PM
Thanks. I discovered this because of you. I'll put it on repeat.

Very good. He's one of my favorite living composers. Quite prolific and consistent overall.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

SimonNZ

Madiel

Today I had the rare privilege of hearing Poulenc's music for the short film La Belle au bois dormant.

As best I can tell there is no commercial audio recording of the work. But incredibly the National Film and Sound Archive here in Canberra is one of 2 places in the world listed on WorldCat as having a copy of the film.

And they let me watch it. Twice.

Poulenc himself played harpsichord. There are also wind instruments (definitely clarinet and bassoon and fairly sure flute and oboe are the others), a harp and percussion (at least a xylophone and woodblock), though the 'credits' don't give all that detail for the rest of the instruments.

About 6 minutes long, continuous score throughout the film, which is stop motion puppetry. It's basically an advertisement for a wine company, where the prince is told that wine will revive sleeping beauty ("l'âme du vin reveillera la belle"). She wakes, everyone has champagne and dances.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on January 26, 2021, 11:13:18 AM

Just seems to be mainly about timbre. Nice though, just the experience of letting the sounds kind of wash over you is agreeable. I'll be definitely exploring it more. Do we not have a thread on the Italian avant garde? Couldn't find one.

There's a booklet here if anyone's curious

https://cdn.naxosmusiclibrary.com/sharedfiles/booklets/SRD/booklet-STR37138.pdf

Back to this. It's genuinely funny. Anyone who wants a recording to introduce kids to modern classical music, this is it. Basically it's a bunch of instruments sounding like animals. Just as catalogue d'oiseaux took its form and content from birds in the landscape this takes its form and content from beasts in the farmyard.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Johann Sebastian Bach.
Complete Organ Works.
Volume XV.
Olivier Vernet, Organ.

17 Choräle aus der Leipziger Orginalhandschrift 1750 End.

Organs:
Gottfried Silbermann 1718-19. Johanniskirche, Freiberg,
Gottfried Silbermann 1711-1714. Dom St. Marien in Freiberg.

I run out of superlatives, but its still great Bach.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Karl Goldmark.
Symphonic Poems, Volume II.

Bamberger Symphoniker, Fabrice Bollon.

I am a huge fan of these Poems. It goes to show how excellent a orchestrator he was, painting the finest details with a stroke of his pen, and evoking multiple colours. Added a superb performance and sound, and I am happy with the result.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Morning listening (via Spotify):

Harry

Hjalmar Borgström.
Orchestral Works.

Jesus in Getsemane, opus 14.
Die Nacht der Toten, opus 16.
Violin concerto in G major.

Jonas Bätstrand, Violin.
Nils Anders Mortensen, Piano.
The SO of Norrlands Operan, Terje Boye Hansen.

Pretty unknown composer, but he is not lacking in the quality of his music. Of the finest tonal level, late-romantic, but very original. The performance is excellent, as is the recording.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 26, 2021, 03:07:22 PM
Arnold's most lightweight side. His sets of dances contain some truly memorable and carefree music, tinged with certain beauty. Arnold knew how to capture a brilliant effect from those folk tunes and print them on the score.

Worth remembering that not one of these is an actual folk-tune but all the product of Arnold's remarkable melodic gift...... they are stunning I think!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Daverz on January 26, 2021, 11:57:28 AM
Järvi is very good.  Or perhaps I enjoy this symphony whoever conducts it.  So I'm not sure you have to run out and buy it if you have the CPO, but it does have the benefit of an excellent Chandos recording (I do like the warmer sounding CPO sonics, as well.)

I checked out the Jarvi recording.  I know Chandos did a Jarvi/Atterberg cycle - curiously his version of No.3 was recorded 20 years(!) before they released it - its a Swedish Radio sourced performance I think.  I'll be revisiting the rest of the CPO set soon on the strength of this.

Harry

Finn Mortenson.
Symphony, opus 5.

Stavanger SO, Peter Szilvay.

One of the finest discoveries I made in 2020. A magnificent work, in a superb performance, never mind the duration of it. It's short but a powerful statement. I love this symphony to bits, and cannot stop playing it.
State of the Art sound. I take my hat off for the engineer, Jim Anderson. Quite a feat

Harry

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 27, 2021, 01:19:18 AM
I checked out the Jarvi recording.  I know Chandos did a Jarvi/Atterberg cycle - curiously his version of No.3 was recorded 20 years(!) before they released it - its a Swedish Radio sourced performance I think.  I'll be revisiting the rest of the CPO set soon on the strength of this.

The Chandos sound despite its years is State of the Art. I have the CPO recordings already, and will in time buy the Chandos series. The huge difference between both versions, is that Järvi takes much faster tempi. The magical moments loose a bit of details because of it.

Biffo

Weber: Euryanthe Overture
Wagner: Lohengrin Preludes Acts I & III
R Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier Suite

Halle Orchestra conducted by John Barbirolli - recorded 1946

Traverso

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 26, 2021, 07:13:28 PM
Is the music partially related to the Day of Dead festival in Mexico? The jacket says feria. The skeleton is left-handed. I wonder if there is any meaning of it.

It is probably a mirror image .... ::)

Traverso

Delius

CD 1

Start listening today with this promising set,thank you again Jeffrey to make  this possible. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Traverso on January 27, 2021, 03:09:34 AM
Delius

CD 1

Start listening today with this promising set,thank you again Jeffrey to make  this possible. :)

Oh, it arrived Jan! I'm so pleased.

Now playing: Lutoslawski: Concerto for Orchestra
What a great work this is - I now prefer it to the Bartok.
This seems like a classic recording (Rowicki, Nat. PO of Warsaw):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).