What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all.

Continuing the Debussy Preludes with Book II today (Bavouzet).

Olivier

Harry

Maximilian Steinberg.

Violin Concerto, opus 37.
Symphony No. 4 "Turksib", opus 24.

Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Martin Yates.
Sergey Levitin, Violin.

Hat tip to Jeffrey for the recommendation.

Fine music in superb performances. The only quibble I have is that the violin is rather closely recorded, and my near field monitors do not like that a bit.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on January 26, 2021, 08:34:00 PM
Today I had the rare privilege of hearing Poulenc's music for the short film La Belle au bois dormant.

As best I can tell there is no commercial audio recording of the work. But incredibly the National Film and Sound Archive here in Canberra is one of 2 places in the world listed on WorldCat as having a copy of the film.

And they let me watch it. Twice.

Poulenc himself played harpsichord. There are also wind instruments (definitely clarinet and bassoon and fairly sure flute and oboe are the others), a harp and percussion (at least a xylophone and woodblock), though the 'credits' don't give all that detail for the rest of the instruments.

About 6 minutes long, continuous score throughout the film, which is stop motion puppetry. It's basically an advertisement for a wine company, where the prince is told that wine will revive sleeping beauty ("l'âme du vin reveillera la belle"). She wakes, everyone has champagne and dances.

Nice one !

When i did a search for l'âme du vin, I found this page that gives a brief description (in French) of the movie under that name. The side note confirms Poulenc on harpsichord so I assume this is the right one.

Page 18 of that PDF :

http://www.cineressources.net/consultationPdf/web/o000/589.pdf

There's also a couple of pages about it in this google book, page 234-236 (again, in French).

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KsUGv8-TVGcC&pg=PA235&lpg=PA235&dq=L%27ame+du+vin+Poulenc&source=bl&ots=1MC9x3o_gk&sig=ACfU3U3NRz8vxWFq_8tWlAPkGEXefT4wVg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjA0oKLo7zuAhW-TxUIHSQcBukQ6AEwEnoECAgQAg#v=onepage&q=L'ame%20du%20vin%20Poulenc&f=false

Whoever wrote the article quoted in that book funnily enough also mentions "On a bissé le film", meaning the audience had asked to see it a second time and they did !  ;D
Olivier

Biffo

Beethoven: Symphony No 5 in C minor - Halle Orchestra conducted by John Barbirolli - recorded in 1947. The Andante con moto seems rather plodding by modern standards but otherwise a dynamic performance

Papy Oli

Fauré - Piano quartet No.1 (Rogé, Ysaÿe Qt)

Olivier

Karl Henning

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 26, 2021, 07:35:43 PM
Souvenir de Florence from here:

As the original sextet esp., one of my top Tchaikovsky scores.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on January 26, 2021, 08:34:00 PM
Today I had the rare privilege of hearing Poulenc's music for the short film La Belle au bois dormant.

As best I can tell there is no commercial audio recording of the work. But incredibly the National Film and Sound Archive here in Canberra is one of 2 places in the world listed on WorldCat as having a copy of the film.

And they let me watch it. Twice.

Poulenc himself played harpsichord. There are also wind instruments (definitely clarinet and bassoon and fairly sure flute and oboe are the others), a harp and percussion (at least a xylophone and woodblock), though the 'credits' don't give all that detail for the rest of the instruments.

About 6 minutes long, continuous score throughout the film, which is stop motion puppetry. It's basically an advertisement for a wine company, where the prince is told that wine will revive sleeping beauty ("l'âme du vin reveillera la belle"). She wakes, everyone has champagne and dances.

Wonderful.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Quote from: DavidW on January 26, 2021, 11:57:25 AM
Time for more chamber music!

You know Saints Saens clarinet sonata is quite lovely.  Never heard it before.

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on January 27, 2021, 01:54:28 AM
Finn Mortenson.
Symphony, opus 5.

Stavanger SO, Peter Szilvay.

One of the finest discoveries I made in 2020. A magnificent work, in a superb performance, never mind the duration of it. It's short but a powerful statement. I love this symphony to bits, and cannot stop playing it.
State of the Art sound. I take my hat off for the engineer, Jim Anderson. Quite a feat
I discovered that excellent recording thanks to you.

Now playing: VW Piano Quintet

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 27, 2021, 05:38:04 AM
As the original sextet esp., one of my top Tchaikovsky scores.

Same here, Karl.

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on January 27, 2021, 04:47:06 AM
Maximilian Steinberg.

Violin Concerto, opus 37.
Symphony No. 4 "Turksib", opus 24.

Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Martin Yates.
Sergey Levitin, Violin.

Hat tip to Jeffrey for the recommendation.

Fine music in superb performances. The only quibble I have is that the violin is rather closely recorded, and my near field monitors do not like that a bit.
Thanks Harry. I hardly know the VC but the Symphony (poorly reviewed in Gramophone) has given me great pleasure. Your posting has encouraged me to listen to it again.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Fauré - Piano quartet No.1, again.

This time, Domus.

Olivier

Mirror Image

NP: Ginastera Concerto for Strings, Op. 33 (Candida Thompson/Amsterdam Sinfonietta)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on January 27, 2021, 03:09:34 AM
Delius

CD 1

Start listening today with this promising set,thank you again Jeffrey to make  this possible. :)

Very nice, Jan. Good to see you were able to get this set.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 27, 2021, 03:57:16 AM
Now playing: Lutoslawski: Concerto for Orchestra
What a great work this is - I now prefer it to the Bartok.
This seems like a classic recording (Rowicki, Nat. PO of Warsaw):

I bet that recording is excellent, Jeffrey. I'm quite the fan of Lutoslawski's music. I hate to admit to this since Bartók is in my 'Top 3' favorite composers, but I never could quite come to appreciate his much-acclaimed Concerto for Orchestra, but I'm making better progress on it. The Boulez account with the New York Philharmonic is my go-to for this work. Anyway, I love Lutoslawski's work of the same title. It's interesting that Lutoslawski didn't think much of this work when asked about it. I think it perhaps represented a bad time for him creatively as he had to make artistic compromises in order not to get in trouble with the Soviet authorities. Well, regardless, I think it's a fabulous work.

Mirror Image

NP: Lutoslawski Concerto for Orchestra (Lutoslawski/Polish National RSO)

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Some atmospheric music for a grey morning...

Traverso

Beethoven

CD 3

Piano Sonata Op.10 No.3
Piano Sonata Op.13
Piano Sonata Op.14 No.1
Piano Sonata Op.14 No.2

This set of Beethoven sonatas is among the most beautiful I have ever heard. At times the playing is of a clear ultimate clarity and a true almost exaltic joy.
This Beethoven is stripped of all sentimentality,
and it is exciting to hear how without romantic additions the music can be so enchantingly beautiful.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2021, 10:07:53 AM
NP: Martinů String Sextet, H 224 (Kocian Quartet et. al.)

+1

Also, I don't know the French songs with Ameling but I do love my Souzay!  It's on Newton.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter