What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

NP: Liszt Consolations, S 172 (Howard)

From this set:

Daverz

I can't seem to stop collecting Pines and Fountains; I have way too many recordings of them.  But this one is a real beauty (24/96 download):

And now:

Mirror Image

NP: Boulez Notations (Aimard)

My favorite solo piano work from Boulez.

Karl Henning

Maiden-Listen Monday!

"Wolferl"
Pf Sonata № 4 in Eb, K.282 (1775)
van Oort
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

NP: Villa-Lobos String Trio (Deutsches Streichtrio)

Mirror Image

NP: Stravinsky Le sacre du printemps (Bernstein/New York Phil.)

MusicTurner

Quote from: André on February 22, 2021, 03:29:08 PM
I've had this set for a few months now and, for the life of me, can't recall what dealer I bought it from. Probably some european outfit, I guess. I'm slowly going through it - listened to 6 discs so far - so, more to come.  ;).

You mentioned perhaps buying it from a lesser known dealer here in Copenhagen, Danacord, it was on sale; was just wondering if it went OK, or you decided for someone else. But if you forgot, I guess the outcome maybe wasn't truly scandalous :)

Irons

Bax: 5th Symphony.

The most symphonic of the symphonies thus far.

Kabalevsky: Violin Concerto.

Light hearted with two joyful movements framing a lyrical Andantino giocoso.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

T. D.

vers la flamme

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Piano Sonata No.5 in G major, K 283; Piano Sonata No.6 in D major, K 284, the "Dürnitz". Mitsuko Uchida

Prompted by some other guys in this thread listening to Mozart sonatas on the previous pages. Damn fine playing from possibly one of our greatest living pianists. I don't always find time to listen to the Mozart piano sonatas, but I certainly respect the hell out of them.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on February 22, 2021, 11:23:11 PM
Bax: 5th Symphony.

The most symphonic of the symphonies thus far.

Kabalevsky: Violin Concerto.

Light hearted with two joyful movements framing a lyrical Andantino giocoso.
And the best performance of Symphony No.5 IMO. Do you know Kabalevsky's 2nd Cello Concerto, with the same cover image Lol? It is a much deeper work.
Playing this morning, two of the great 20th Century symphonies (symphonies 2 'Grave' and 3 by Hilding Rosenberg):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No 4 in F minor - Halle Orchestra conducted by Sir John Barbirolli

Harry

J.S. Bach.
Complete Organ Works, volume II.
Ewald Kooiman plays on a Andreas Silbermann Organ 1709., Marmoutier, Eglise Abbatiale Saint-Etienne.

An ongoing pleasure of the highest level!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Cyril Scott: Symphonic Poem 'Neptune' 1933/35 (inspired by the Titanic disaster and Debussy's 'La Mer'):

My favourite of Scott's purely orchestral works.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

eljr

"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

Karl Henning

"Wolferl"
Pf Sonata № 5 in G, K.283 (1775)
van Oort
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Traverso

Mirror Image

NP: Stravinsky Piano Sonata (Marie Françoise Bucquet)

From this set: