Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 812822 times)

SPARScode, pierocioff and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline deprofundis

• no one perfect publish my post please
  • Currently Listening to:
    classical, skronk-jazz, blues, experimental etc
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #34640 on: February 23, 2021, 08:25:26 AM »
I'm listening to: Johannes Tinctoris a Franco-Flemish composer of the 14 century, he was a music theorist of importance, respected by  Ockeghem and Busnois, less prolific but great in the end, have this in LP on NON-SUCH.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 09:35:17 AM by deprofundis »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Béla Bartók (1881 - 1945)
    Magyar tánc a faluban
« Reply #34641 on: February 23, 2021, 08:29:06 AM »
NP: Strauss Cello Sonata in F major, Op. 6 (Peter Wöpke, Wolfgang Sawallisch)

“Competitions are for horses, not artists.”

Online Iota

« Reply #34642 on: February 23, 2021, 08:30:10 AM »
Yes, I think you’ll enjoy this work from Martin (hopefully, as much as I did). The instrumentation is also rather alluring. It’s written for solos, mixed choir (and small female choir), boys' choir, string orchestra (with violas da gamba), harpsichord and organ. That Kurtág work is quite fine. I’d still say my favorite works of his are those written for string quartet.

Okay, thanks for the appetiser.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #34643 on: February 23, 2021, 09:01:55 AM »
And the best performance of Symphony No.5 IMO. Do you know Kabalevsky's 2nd Cello Concerto, with the same cover image Lol? It is a much deeper work.
Playing this morning, two of the great 20th Century symphonies (symphonies 2 'Grave' and 3 by Hilding Rosenberg):

Yes Jeffrey. Shafran's recording of the 2nd CC is the coupling.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #34644 on: February 23, 2021, 09:05:15 AM »
You mentioned perhaps buying it from a lesser known dealer here in Copenhagen, Danacord, it was on sale; was just wondering if it went OK, or you decided for someone else. But if you forgot, I guess the outcome maybe wasn't truly scandalous :)

That’s the one ! And yes, everything was shipshape.  :)

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #34645 on: February 23, 2021, 09:10:08 AM »
Stravinsky

Petrushka
Pulcinella

And ?   :D

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #34646 on: February 23, 2021, 09:42:23 AM »
Havergal Brian Gothic Symphony part 1, Groves conducting the New Philharmonia

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34647 on: February 23, 2021, 10:02:01 AM »

Sometimes I wonder how on earth did I end up with THREE complete Haydn sonatas sets?  ???

But it just kind of happened... And the thing is: they are all very good....
Schornsheim is elegant and charming on a wide range of keyboard instruments.
Brautigam (BIS) is energetic and expressive. Beghin (Naxos) is absolutely brilliant and probably my favourite, but I wouldn't want to be without the others.

Q

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #34648 on: February 23, 2021, 10:29:38 AM »
Cyril Scott: Symphonic Poem 'Neptune' 1933/35 (inspired by the Titanic disaster and Debussy's 'La Mer'):

My favourite of Scott's purely orchestral works.

Ditto. I was not impressed by any of the symphonies but Neptune is surely something else.
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent." - Victor Hugo

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Magyar tánc a faluban
« Reply #34649 on: February 23, 2021, 11:16:06 AM »
NP: K. A. Hartmann Sinfonia tragica (Janowski)

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #34650 on: February 23, 2021, 11:24:03 AM »

Disc two, with the Capriccio, Sinfonietta (for strings) and Sinfonia (for large orchestra).

This is even better, more impressive than disc one. Make that double. The Sinfonia was composed for the famous Schubert contest of 1928 that also saw as entries the Gothic symphony of H. Brian, Atterberg’s 6th (who won), Schmidt’s 3rd, Irgens-Jensesn’s Passacaglia and many others. The story behind the judging is quite interesting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1928_International_Columbia_Graphophone_Competition#Submissions_and_zone_judging
It seems that to some of the jurors (check that list of luminaries!) the Marek and Brian works were superior to Atterberg’s and were « considered outstanding but eventually rejected as 'in a modernistic vein inappropriate to the occasion « .

In any case, IMHO it’s a real masterpiece, a 32 minute, one movement work of great structural and harmonic sophistication and striking thematic material. If one could imagine a cross between works as divergent as Schmitt’s Salammbô, Reger’s Hiller Variations and Ravel’s Daphnis et Chloé, without extra percussion or vocal parts (it is very classically scored) it might give an idea of Marek’s idiom here. I found it enchanting and immensely sophisticated.

The Capriccio is a kind of orchestral pastiche along the line of Strauss’ Rosenkavalier waltzes, without the inebriated horns. The Sinfonietta is a surprisingly big work. Marek composes in big paragraphs, making the work sound like a real symphony rather than a serenade. The first movement in particular is really imposing. This, too, is a major work. All the performances are excellent (Philharmonia Orchestra) and in superb sound.

This twofer is a major find I cannot recommend too highly.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 12:37:16 PM by André »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #34651 on: February 23, 2021, 11:31:18 AM »

Mahler 9 with a properly sized band.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Online DavidW

« Reply #34652 on: February 23, 2021, 11:38:59 AM »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Magyar tánc a faluban
« Reply #34653 on: February 23, 2021, 11:46:18 AM »
NP: Lutoslawski Double Concerto for Oboe and Harp (Nicolas Daniel, Lucy Wakeford et. al.)

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #34654 on: February 23, 2021, 12:25:39 PM »
Yes Jeffrey. Shafran's recording of the 2nd CC is the coupling.
Ah, that explains why it has the same cover!  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #34655 on: February 23, 2021, 12:30:19 PM »
Ditto. I was not impressed by any of the symphonies but Neptune is surely something else.
Indeed Andrei. I played Neptune through twice today.

Now playing - Samuel Jones, Symphony No.3 'Palo Duro Canyon', I was reminded of the music of John Kinsella at times::
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 12:37:28 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #34656 on: February 23, 2021, 12:31:24 PM »
Havergal Brian Gothic Symphony part 1, Groves conducting the New Philharmonia

Sarge
I've been very happy with that disc.

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #34657 on: February 23, 2021, 12:38:40 PM »

Disc two, with the Capriccio, Sinfonietta (for strings) and Sinfonia (for large orchestra).

This is even better, more impressive than disc one. Make that double. The Sinfonia was composed for the famous Schubert contest of 1928 that also saw as entries the Gothic symphony of H. Brian, Atterberg’s 6th (who won), Schmidt’s 3rd, Irgens-Jensesn’s Passacaglia and many others. The story behind the judging is quite interesting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1928_International_Columbia_Graphophone_Competition#Submissions_and_zone_judging
It seems that to some of the jurors (check that list of luminaries!) the Marek and Brian works were superior to Atterberg’s and were « considered outstanding but eventually rejected as 'in a modernistic vein inappropriate to the occasion « .

In any case, IMHO it’s a real masterpiece, a 32 minute, one movement work of great structural and harmonic sophistication and striking thematic material. If one could imagine a cross between works as divergent as Schmitt’s Salammbô, Reger’s Hiller Variations and Ravel’s Daphnis et Chloé, without extra percussion or vocal parts (it is very classically scored) it might give an idea of Marek’s idiom here. I found it enchanting and immensely sophisticated.

The Capriccio is a kind of orchestral pastiche along the line of Strauss’ Rosenkavalier waltzes, without the inebriated horns. The Sinfonietta is a surprisingly big work for strings. When thinking of strings-only works, Dvorak, Elgar, Tchaikovsky, Britten come to mind. Here Marek composes in much bigger paragraphs, making the work sound like a real symphony rather than a serenade. The first movement in particular is really imposing. This, too, is a major work. All the performances are excellent (Philharmonia Orchestra) and in superb sound.

This twofer is a major find I cannot recommend too highly.

A great description! I remember being quite enthralled by the Sinfonia and Sinfonietta. Both have very attractive music. I'll be checking the other works at some point.
«Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music.»

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #34658 on: February 23, 2021, 12:40:12 PM »
NP: Lutoslawski Double Concerto for Oboe and Harp (Nicolas Daniel, Lucy Wakeford et. al.)

A brilliant work as usual with this composer.
«Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music.»

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #34659 on: February 23, 2021, 12:41:29 PM »
That’s the one ! And yes, everything was shipshape.  :)

Glad to hear that !