What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que, Linz, ritter (+ 1 Hidden) and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Brahmsian

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 23, 2021, 02:12:44 PM

Anton Bruckner: Symphony in F minor, WAB 99, the "Study Symphony". Georg Tintner, Royal Scottish National Orchestra

Tintner was a brilliant Brucknerian. His conducting brings a lot of insight into the music, I think, even in relatively minor works like this one. Always worth a listen. I think I'm going to try and piece together the rest of the cycle.

I just bought the Tintner Bruckner 4th today at a used local CD shop for $2!  :)

vers la flamme

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 23, 2021, 03:11:15 PM
I just bought the Tintner Bruckner 4th today at a used local CD shop for $2!  :)

Good find! It's a good one, but I haven't spent much time with it. Planning on listening soon. I'm partial to the Tintner Bruckner 9th.

Symphonic Addict

A very enjoyable Bliss CD. The String Quartet in A major is like a cross between Moeran and Dvorak. So lovely. The 1st SQ has a more adventurous harmony and bite. Conversations is next.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

"Wolferl"
Pf Sonata № 6 in D, K.284 (1775)
van Oort
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 23, 2021, 01:27:30 PM
Hey Que - I have the same 3 sets, plus the one added above w/ Derzhavina (need one w/ a modern piano, I guess) - just was checking Amazon USA and Schornsheim must be OOP and in demand?  Also, need to check the works included but the piano box has only 9 discs vs. 13-15 CDs in the period instrument offerings?  Dave :)

You can buy the Schornsheim set on Qobuz for $100.  When it was out on cd it was much cheaper but so it goes.  It contains all of the solo keyboard works and not just the sonatas, hence the length.

Benji

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 23, 2021, 02:22:07 PM
Bachianas Brasileiras Nos. 7-9. I can't get enough of these pieces. The melodies, rhythms and Brazilian flavour on them are absolutely enchanting. I think I prefer these works over the symphonies, or at least, over most of them. Fantastic rediscovery.

Giving this a go following your enthusiastic remarks. So far a few Choros in and it's all very delicious! I've listened to 2,3, 10 and I'm ending on 12, which I'm having a great time with. I'm thinking these are too good, I'll have to ration the rest to help me through 2021!  :laugh:

Funny, I have never really gone for this composer's orchestral music even though his guitar preludes are probably my favourite works for that instrument and for those alone I held him in very high regard.

DavidW

Thread duty v. 13 in the Schornsheim set!  Sonatas Hob XVI: 52, 51 and some variations.

T. D.

Starting in on this box, will probably listen to it all. Owned an earlier 3-disc box for decades, upgraded last year.

Brahmsian

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 23, 2021, 03:13:26 PM
Good find! It's a good one, but I haven't spent much time with it. Planning on listening soon. I'm partial to the Tintner Bruckner 9th.

I haven't heard his 9th yet.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 23, 2021, 02:32:58 PM
I also have them in high esteem. The Chôros will come next in the future. For these days I won't want to overload myself with his music.

A good idea and one I should put into practice myself, but it doesn't look like that will happen. ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on February 23, 2021, 03:55:08 PM
Starting in on this box, will probably listen to it all. Owned an earlier 3-disc box for decades, upgraded last year.

A nice set, but I'm still confused by the inclusion of Falla. In fact, I don't think I've even listened to those recordings. Not that I'm hurting in Falla recordings as I've got enough ripped to my computer as it is.

T. D.

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 23, 2021, 04:24:15 PM
A nice set, but I'm still confused by the inclusion of Falla. In fact, I don't think I've even listened to those recordings. Not that I'm hurting in Falla recordings as I've got enough ripped to my computer as it is.

Yes, the inclusion of Falla is puzzling. But I listen to a lot of jazz recordings, where errors in documentation, programming, notes, cover art etc. are rampant, and have become forgiving of such things. And I own very few Falla recordings, so it's not really unwelcome.

In that vein, I just noticed a couple of days ago that my recently acquired "Russian Piano Concertos" 15-CD box on Brilliant Classics contains one disc titled "Polish Piano Concertos" and one titled "Russian and Polish Piano Concertos". Surprising, but maybe justifiable in this case since the national borders have shifted since the birthdays of the relevant composers.

André

Fagioli is the Marilyn Horne of countertenors. He does make me hold my breath when going to the extreme reaches of his high and low registers. Amazing artist.

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on February 23, 2021, 04:37:50 PM
Yes, the inclusion of Falla is puzzling. But I listen to a lot of jazz recordings, where errors in documentation, programming, notes, cover art etc. are rampant, and have become forgiving of such things. And I own very few Falla recordings, so it's not really unwelcome.

In that vein, I just noticed a couple of days ago that my recently acquired "Russian Piano Concertos" 15-CD box on Brilliant Classics contains one disc titled "Polish Piano Concertos" and one titled "Russian and Polish Piano Concertos". Surprising, but maybe justifiable in this case since the national borders have shifted since the birthdays of the relevant composers.

Yes, but we're classical nerds and we can't have such errors! >:D 0:)

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

NP: G. F. Malipiero Cello Concerto (Silvia Chiesa et. al.)

Exquisite work. Really beautiful playing and the central movement, Lento really does tug at the heartstrings.

Mirror Image

Decided to follow-up the Malipiero with another Italian cello concerto:

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 23, 2021, 04:24:15 PM

The box is gathered together from older Dorian recordings.  I suppose they could have named it "Mostly Latin-America Alive" or just "Latins Alive".  But all those composers are dead!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on February 23, 2021, 07:25:31 PM
The box is gathered together from older Dorian recordings.  I suppose they could have named it "Mostly Latin-America Alive" or just "Latins Alive".  But all those composers are dead!

Yep, I own the older Dorian recordings as well with the exception of the Falla. :)