What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Harry

J.S. Bach.
Complete Organ Works, Volume VIII.

Leipziger Choräle, BWV 662-668 & BWV 709.
Partite diverse sopra "Sei Gegrüßet, Jesu gütig" BWV 768.

Ewald Kooiman plays on a Johann Andreas Silbermann, 1778, Bouxwiller, Temple Protestant.

One of the best sets on the market.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Papy Oli

Olivier

Biffo

Dvorak: Symphony No 9 in E minor From the New World - Halle Orchestra conducted by Sir John Barbirolli

Harry

Hendrik Andriessen.
Symphonic Works, Volume IV.

Symphony No. 4.
Libertas venit-Rhapsody.
Capriccio.
Canzone.

Netherlands SO, David Porcelijn.

A great admirer of Andriessen's oeuvre I am, this CD therefore is not an exception on the rule. All the works are hugely appreciated by me. Pristine performances and recording.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Papy Oli

Ravel - La Valse (Boulez BP)  :o

Olivier

steve ridgway

Listened to Varèse's Déserts last night but sadly it had been butchered by omitting the taped sections. I am hoping Boulez intended to respect the composition and it was the record company that failed to include them. :'(

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ritter

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 03, 2021, 07:21:41 AM
Listened to Varèse's Déserts last night but sadly it had been butchered by omitting the taped sections. I am hoping Boulez intended to respect the composition and it was the record company that failed to include them. :'(

I'd say that was Boulez's decision, not CBS's. AFAIK, the taped sections are ad libitum, and Boulez (who had a not very gratifying experience in his own music in this area--the withdrawn Poésie pour pouvoir) probably didn't really care for them much.

In any case, it's hight time I revisit Déserts myself!

steve ridgway

Quote from: ritter on March 03, 2021, 07:27:38 AM
I'd say that was Boulez's decision, not CBS's. AFAIK, the taped sections are ad libitum, and Boulez (who had a not very gratifying experience in his own music in this area--the withdrawn Poésie pour pouvoir) probably didn't really care for them much.

Hmm, they make great contrasts with the orchestral bits and why go to the effort of producing something shockingly unique only to let people miss it out? Someone who'd never heard another performance of the piece might not bother again. >:(

Iota

James Dillon: The Gates (2016)

Arditti Quartet, SWR Orchestra, Pierre-Andre Valade

A pretty amazing work. Dillon is of the 'New Complexity' school I believe, but this piece (for string quartet and orchestra) regularly seems to hark back to much earlier 20th C styles, without feeling at all dated. A rich score with constantly shifting moods that really deserves to be heard.

SonicMan46

Perotin w/ the Hilliard Ensemble (recorded 1988) - Leonin & Perotin 'flourished' in Paris at Notre Dame in similar times, assume that they were fellow teachers/composers but the history is vague, plus Perotin's music included 3 to 4 voices - much more in the link below w/ the brief quote; BTW the 3 works mentioned my 'Magnus Liber' are included on this recording.  Dave :)

QuotePérotin[a] (fl. c. 1200) was a composer from around the late 12th century, associated with the Notre Dame school of polyphony in Paris and the ars antiqua musical style. The only information on his life comes from late 13th century writers, including an English student known as Anonymous IV who names seven titles from a Magnus Liber (including Viderunt omnes, Sederunt principes and Alleluia Nativitas) that have been identified with surviving works. (Source)

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on March 03, 2021, 12:28:36 AM
I don't know that recording - so, one to investigate, although I much prefer the Viola Concerto, which I think is the greater work.

The violin concerto is growing on me, Jeffrey. The problem for the viola and Walton is the instrument falls between two stalls, the violin and cello. I have only two recordings of the Viola Concerto, on LP, Paul Doktor with LPO and Downes which is a good performance and not such a good recording and on CD, Menuhin, not so good performance (I like his violin concerto) and good recording.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 03, 2021, 02:25:57 AM
Have you ever heard/watched her performance of Bartok's second violin concerto with her brother conducting?  It's from 1984.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JzRkXBV61Q

PD

Chung is good in Bartok. I will listen to your link. I have the Decca recording.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 03, 2021, 03:10:51 AM

Pounds the table! A stunning recording and, quite possibly, the best of that Debussy Harmonia Mundi series, although I do love that 2-CD set of melodies. The solo piano works in this series are well-performed, but I'd say this is an area where there's so many recordings that I've been more impressed with like Paul Jacobs or Zoltán Kocsis.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on March 03, 2021, 07:27:38 AM

Of course, Boulez performed Déserts many years later in this recording:

But I can't recall whether this later performance omits the tape sections. I might have to revisit it. And a good day to you, Rafael.

SonicMan46

Piccinini, Alessandro (1566-ca. 1638) - Intabulations for lute & chitarrone, Bks. I and II w/ Luciano Contini and Francesca Torelli (licensed from Tactus) - love those lute/guitar related instruments from this period, such as the chitarrone (looks like the theorbo), archlute, etc. - much more HERE from where the second pic below was located (click to enlarge).  Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 03, 2021, 08:10:46 AM
Chung is good in Bartok. I will listen to your link. I have the Decca recording.
I have Nos. 1 & 2 on CD--unlike your lovely-looking LP.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter