What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Que

Quote from: Artem on March 07, 2021, 06:08:40 AM
I love these works. First heard them played by the Raphael Ensemble on Hyperion. This Juilliard recording has some criticism online, but seems ok.

I prefer them to the Raphael, which is my favourite in the sextets.

SonicMan46

Bach, CPE - Solo Keyboard Works w/ Ana-Marija Markovina on piano (Bösendorfer), a box of 26 discs - now I do have CPE solo KB works on other instruments (see snippet from my database at bottom - click to enlarge); Schornsheim on a tangent piano, Belder (8 discs) on harpsichord, and 4 of Spanyi's recordings on clavichord - now he deserves the honors of recording the MOST, i.e. 20 volumes of KB Concertos and 39 volumes of solo works on various instruments - more information at the BIS Website; now that is about 60 discs!  I bought my four cheaply at BRO and if BIS boxes these recordings, I'm not sure that I would be a buyer; in all honesty if I had to listen to hours of these solo works, Markovina on piano would be my choice, BUT 'to each his own' as they say -  :laugh:  Dave

vers la flamme

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 06, 2021, 06:09:34 PM
The Monteux performance of it is the benchmark of Franck's masterpiece IMO. It opened my ears to that work. I thought the 1st movement is a masterpiece unto itself. Very impressive overall.

I'll have to track it down. I do love those Living Stereo recordings.

vers la flamme

Maurice Ravel: Piano Trio in A minor; Violin Sonata in G major. Renaud and Gautier Capuçon, Frank Braley

Happy birthday to Ravel, one of my favorite composers. It's good to revisit this recording; it's been some time since I've heard any of it.

Que

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 07, 2021, 07:49:46 AM

Yes, Monteux is the one....  :)

Sometimes these "iron recommendations" are outdated, but not here.

ritter

FWIW, I've never cared much for the Franck Symphony, but when I listened to the Monteux recording, I really enjoyed the piece...

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 07, 2021, 07:45:12 AM
[...] in all honesty if I had to listen to hours of these solo works, Markovina on piano would be my choice, BUT 'to each his own' as they say -  :laugh:  Dave

I'm shocked, Dave, I'm shocked... ???

:D

Artem

Quote from: Que on March 07, 2021, 07:37:32 AM
Will definitely try to do a side by side comparison between the two ensembles at some point.

Brahmsian

I also want to get the Monteux recording of the Franck symphony after listening to that version on YouTube.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on March 07, 2021, 08:05:25 AM
I'm shocked, Dave, I'm shocked... ???

:D

Hey Que - thought that would get a response from someone -  8)  But I must say that the measly 4 discs (of 60!) that I have of Spanyi on the clavichord would be a tough choice (depending on my mood - ;)) - Dave

aukhawk

Some of the Spanyi discs are on tangent piano and those are delicious.

Traverso

Koechlin

CD 7 and te last one from this fine set

Iota

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 07, 2021, 05:59:49 AM
'Dry and academic' is usually a criticism leveled at Hindemith and, quite frankly, it's a lazy criticism. To me, it's like calling all of the Second Viennese School "atonal noise-making". Can some of Hindemith be called 'dry and academic' sounding? Sure, but once a listener dives into his oeuvre, they soon find themselves confronted with music that doesn't fit this description at all and is, in fact, inspired and even in some cases heart-rendering. Hindemith like so many other composers around this time wore many different masks, but those opportunities we get to hear the man behind the smoke and mirrors are truly something else and, in many cases, unforgettable. Keep listening, Dave. I love those SQs, but I love so many of his works and felt he wrote incredibly well in all genres.

Agreed. As somebody who accompanied various Hindemith things at school and didn't enjoy the experience at all, I too 'lazily' dismissed him for ages, but once the doors opened I was very taken and surprised by some of the rich and fertile territory I discovered and which am still discovering. As you say there are many aspects to his musical persona and great poignancy at times too.

Quote from: Que on March 07, 2021, 07:37:32 AM

The Raphael Ensemble my favourites by some margin in the sextets too. Haven't heard them in the Quintets. Yet.

Here:

Martinu: Piano Sonata
Radoslav Kvapil

Wild stuff for much of its course, and as Kvapil  doesn't spare the horses, when the music does settle for a few moments the effect is striking and rather lovely.

Irons

Quote from: "Harry" on March 07, 2021, 07:25:08 AM
British Violin Concertos.
CD I.

Arnold Bax-Violin concerto.
George Dyson-Violin concerto.

Lydia Mordkovitch, Violin.
London PO & City of London Sinfonia, Bryden Thomson & Richard Hickox.

Mordkovitch is definitively one of my favourite violinists, and its a bloody shame she died in 2014. I cannot remember a single disc with her that I did not enjoy, and I am still enjoying both Violin concertos on this disc, a worthy remembrance of a great artist. She simply had magic in her fingers!
Sublime Chandos sound.

+1

Not heard Bax but her recording of Dyson was a revelation. Similarly impressed with her recordings of John Ireland chamber music.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Carlo Gesualdo

Dear QUE and Mandryka and others,, I wish you well send my greeting and advice you to seek annd listen to these ultimate Gem of an albums.

Sigismondo D'india on label Italiano, it's quite an awesome vinyl from ensemble :- The fives centuries - ensemble, very well done ensemble, robust vinyl deep sound, from 1978, perhaps the very best of Sigismondo ever. This is what I am listening , before that would listen to Missa Caput by Johannes Ockeghem- Capella Cordina, ensemble and brilliant Alejandro Planchart.

:)

Have a wonderful sunny day folks

Todd

Revisited.  Well played, but kind of generic sounding.  Where's the Romanian flair? 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

After MI and Iota's post it is time for me to listen to more Hindemith!

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on March 07, 2021, 09:41:19 AM

Revisited.  Well played, but kind of generic sounding.  Where's the Romanian flair?

Here:

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

André

An operatorio from the young Mozart. The performance is splendid.