What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 22, 2021, 10:47:17 AM
NP: Bloch Violin Sonata No. 2 'Poème mystique' (Shaham/Erez)

Great album!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on March 22, 2021, 01:36:42 PM
Great album!

Yes, indeed. A must-own I'd say if one is a fan of Bloch's music.

DavidW

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on March 22, 2021, 01:40:02 PM
Yes only a few hundred albums.

But aren't you a streaming guy? This would make sense for the modest collection.

Mirror Image

NP: Walton Troilus & Cressida, Symphonic Suite (Gražinytė-Tyla)

Mandryka

Listening to op 50/4. Severe, tense and dramatic - maybe volatile is a better word than dramatic; uncomfortable, disconcerting; strange tuning, whether it's deliberate or not I can't say - this music sounds even more chromatic than other performances. This is as far from the papa stereotype as it's possible to get. Interesting.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mirror Image

A double shot of Schnittkian vodka -

Cello Concerto No. 1 (Ivashkin/Polansky)

Symphony No. 4 (Rozhdestvensky)

André

There is another work on the disc (not mentioned on the cover), Moroi's Sinfonietta op 24 from 1943. The other two frame it chronologically: the Two Symphonic Movements are from 1942 (his opus 22) and the 3rd symphony opus 25 is from 1944. It's kind of a War Trilogy, then. Opuses 22 and 25 are connected thematically and are quite concerned with the feeling of death, catastrophe and defeat that were looming.

A strong melodic vein flows through all three works. Themes are often quite striking, strongly etched, with a brucknerian breadth to them. Moroi had perfected his craft in Berlin in 1932-34 and the music of Bruckner had been a revelation to him back then. Not that the music sounds germanic in any way. It's the treatment of the musical lines that was influenced by his studies of the german composers (Hindemith was a strong marker as well).

Moroi's symphonies nos 2 and 4 have been recorded on lp but never made it to cd. It would seem that this Naxos release is the only game in town to explore his music, then. Recommended.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 22, 2021, 01:59:41 PM
But aren't you a streaming guy? This would make sense for the modest collection.

It was actually that way before I got into streaming.  I had three great purges.

T. D.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on March 22, 2021, 04:22:17 PM
It was actually that way before I got into streaming.  I had three great purges.

Ah, okay.

Thread duty -

This entire recording:

Daverz

Catching up with Yoshimatsu Symphony No. 3:

Very enjoyable.

An editorial by Henry Fogel in Fanfare lamenting the loss of light music in concerts inspired me to listen to some Ippolitov-Ivanov:

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 22, 2021, 11:51:58 AM
I have no idea. I own around 7,000 or so recordings.
I should suddenly show up at your door one day for a one week stay to listen to some of your collection, with a blue Peking Opera beard as admission ticket.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Symphonic Addict

Scott - Piano Quintet No. 1

Impressionism at its best. The harmonic language of this piece is quite seductive.

Reinecke - Cello Concerto

A very accomplished and polished work overall. There is elegant and tuneful music here.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

NP: Schumann Papillons, Op. 2 (Schiff)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on March 22, 2021, 06:23:38 AM
The Dvorak 13th is my favorite string quartet of all time - an absolutely staggering masterpiece.

I can see why, Kyle. I was thoroughly delighted to revisit this incredible piece. My all-time favorite string quartet could be Czech too, albeit that would be Janacek's Intimate Letters.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Florestan on March 22, 2021, 01:31:10 AM
I quite ike his strings and guitar quartets. Amiable, unbuttoned and life-affirming music.

The guitar quartets are unknown to me. I only hope they will be "meatier" than the standard ones.  :D

Noam Chomsky

springrite

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 22, 2021, 07:49:41 PM
I can see why, Kyle. I was thoroughly delighted to revisit this incredible piece. My all-time favorite string quartet could be Czech too, albeit that would be Janacek's Intimate Letters.
One of my favorites as well!

Now: Martkovitch: Piano Concerto; Cantate
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Symphonic Addict

Wirén's three concertos: for piano, violin and cello

All of these compositions contain substantial material. I really like the way Wirén handled seriousness, sobriety and wit. Well-balanced music.

If I had to pick a favorite, it would be the Piano Concerto. A formidable work.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Noam Chomsky