Donald McIntire, bass
Leeds Festival Chorus
Finchley Children's Music Group
Highgate School Boys' Choir
Orpington Junior Singers
London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus
Organ: Hans Vollenweider
Lenny

Wow...Karl. :o Quite surprising, indeed. The 8th is my least favorite Mahler symphony, but, in all fairness, I haven't really listened to it in ages. I should rectify this soon.

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on April 07, 2021, 06:38:08 PM
Another great Leshnoff disc from Naxos:

I was particularly impressed by the 11 minute piece Distant Reflections (not listed on the cover.)  Lovely work.
Very interesting! I've enjoyed the other CDs (symphonies 3 and 4) of Leshnoff's music which I have heard so far.

Now playing: Albert Roussel Symphony No.3
This is a fine work, reminiscent in places I think of Honegger. There is a strong rhythmic drive to Roussel's music. This is one of those great sets which include mini versions of the original LP sleeves, which is a nice feature (thank you John/MI)  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 07, 2021, 11:09:10 AM
Nice!

A good place to sample Toch is the 3rd movement of the 12th SQ.

Edit: https://youtu.be/xmRRz7JOqC0?t=855
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on April 07, 2021, 02:26:16 AM
Second listen.

French Music for Ballet.

Henri Sauguet-Les Forains.
Jules Massenet-Ballet Suite from Herodiade.
Jacques Ibert-Les Amours de Jupiter.

Estonian National SO, Neeme Järvi.

I already sung praises about this release, so again very much recommended.
What's the Sauguet like Harry?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 06, 2021, 01:32:07 PM
Glass to wrap up the evening.

Coincidentally I was listening to this yesterday:

Que

Via Spotify:

I never expected this to become a complete cycle, which flew completely under my radar...  ???

Thanks to Mandryka for the reminder!  :)

Sounds quite promising BTW...
In the slow mvts on the slower side with judicious use of hesitations, but swift and flowing when it needs to be, refined, detailed, elegant... Is this the 2nd set next to Rousset's that I have been waiting for? Recording sounds splendid, as usual with Plectra.

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on April 08, 2021, 12:20:53 AM
Via Spotify:

I never expected this to become a complete cycle, which flew completely under my radar...  ???

Thanks to Mandryka for the reminder!  :)

Sounds quite promising BTW...
In the slow mvts on the slower side with judicious use of hesitations, but swift and flowing when it needs to be, refined, detailed, elegant... Is this the 2nd set next to Rousset's that I have been waiting for? Recording sounds splendid, as usual with Plectra.

Q

IMO he's learned a thing or two from the last recordings which Blandine Verlet made. I listened to Bk 1 when it first came out, but haven't explored subsequently.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 07, 2021, 12:13:38 PM

Bagatelles for Two Violins, Ciola & Harmonium

Such a highly enjoyable work.

Delightful, as were the two preceding works on this CD that I have listened to. Later I will be concluding with the works for string quartet/quintet.

Cato

Okay...so, well...what can one say about this....except...the Germans are always hard at work on something!!!   8)

From the Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg:

https://www.youtube.com/v/aBNHmUT3GPg

To be sure, things are little "clunky," but the little engine is trying as hard as he can!    ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on April 07, 2021, 11:45:37 PM
What's the Sauguet like Harry?

To start with absolutely tonal. Its a ballet and therefore light on her feet, brilliantly orchestrated,  as if a bunch of fairies are visiting the earth, and perfectly fitted to match the Choreography.. Sauguet is a composer almost forgotten, but this he does not deserve. I rate him very highly.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Biffo

Sibelius: Symphony No 5 in E flat major - Halle Orchestra conducted by Sir John Barbirolli  (studio recording, 1966)

Madiel

Quote from: Madiel on April 06, 2021, 03:53:17 AM
Pejacevic, Blumenleben

Honestly, I think these are amongst the best Romantic piano miniatures.

Repeating this again a couple of nights later, paying closer attention to the individual pieces. Really good.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Madiel

Dvorak, The Orphan and Rosemary

A very long time before Dvorak created symphonic poems based on Erben's grim stories, he created actual songs out of them.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: "Harry" on April 08, 2021, 02:13:46 AM
To start with absolutely tonal. Its a ballet and therefore light on her feet, brilliantly orchestrated,  as if a bunch of fairies are visiting the earth, and perfectly fitted to match the Choreography.. Sauguet is a composer almost forgotten, but this he does not deserve. I rate him very highly.

Quite agree! Years ago my wife and I listened to his piano works endlessly: think Satie with all of the fun and none of the sarcasm. His SQs are esp. recommendable, particularly #2.  Also, worthy of mention, Sauguet was one extraordinary human being.  Thanks, Harry, for inspiring today's listening :

Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Madiel

Harry

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on April 08, 2021, 04:07:07 AM
Quite agree! Years ago my wife and I listened to his piano works endlessly: think Satie with all of the fun and none of the sarcasm. His SQs are esp. recommendable, particularly #2.  Also, worthy of mention, Sauguet was one extraordinary human being.  Thanks, Harry, for inspiring today's listening :

I am trying for years now finding some of his piano works, and your description is bang on, the SQ are a quest in itself to find. The Symphonies I have.
I am happy the Sauguet is giving you pleasure too!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Biffo

Kabelac: Symphony No 5 in B flat minor Drammatica for Soprano without text and Orchestra - Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Marko Ivanovic with Pavla Vykopalova soprano. For me, the wordless soprano part outstays its welcome.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on April 07, 2021, 07:58:24 AM
The only other one I've heard is on a recording of Dowland's Lachrimae with a viol quintet from Schola Cantorum Basel. Your post prompted me to look and I found this

Which I now have, thanks to the kindness of strangers. Dombois's playing is characterful as is Nigel Rogers' voice,  new music for me. Let me know, Jan or anyone else, if you want it.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso