Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 946551 times)

Madiel (+ 1 Hidden) and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #37340 on: April 07, 2021, 10:47:43 PM »
Glass to wrap up the evening.

Coincidentally I was listening to this yesterday:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37341 on: April 07, 2021, 11:20:53 PM »
Via Spotify:

I never expected this to become a complete cycle, which flew completely under my radar...  ???

Thanks to Mandryka for the reminder!  :)

Sounds quite promising BTW...
In the slow mvts on the slower side with judicious use of hesitations, but swift and flowing when it needs to be, refined, detailed, elegant... Is this the 2nd set next to Rousset's that I have been waiting for? Recording sounds splendid, as usual with Plectra.

Q
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 11:51:20 PM by Que »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #37342 on: April 07, 2021, 11:57:36 PM »
Via Spotify:

I never expected this to become a complete cycle, which flew completely under my radar...  ???

Thanks to Mandryka for the reminder!  :)

Sounds quite promising BTW...
In the slow mvts on the slower side with judicious use of hesitations, but swift and flowing when it needs to be, refined, detailed, elegant... Is this the 2nd set next to Rousset's that I have been waiting for? Recording sounds splendid, as usual with Plectra.

Q

IMO he’s learned a thing or two from the last recordings which Blandine Verlet made. I listened to Bk 1 when it first came out, but haven’t explored subsequently.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #37343 on: April 08, 2021, 12:34:14 AM »

Bagatelles for Two Violins, Ciola & Harmonium

Such a highly enjoyable work.

Delightful, as were the two preceding works on this CD that I have listened to. Later I will be concluding with the works for string quartet/quintet.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #37344 on: April 08, 2021, 12:40:09 AM »
Okay...so, well...what can one say about this....except...the Germans are always hard at work on something!!!   8)

From the Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aBNHmUT3GPg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aBNHmUT3GPg</a>

To be sure, things are little "clunky," but the little engine is trying as hard as he can!    ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #37345 on: April 08, 2021, 01:13:46 AM »
What's the Sauguet like Harry?

To start with absolutely tonal. Its a ballet and therefore light on her feet, brilliantly orchestrated,  as if a bunch of fairies are visiting the earth, and perfectly fitted to match the Choreography.. Sauguet is a composer almost forgotten, but this he does not deserve. I rate him very highly.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #37346 on: April 08, 2021, 01:43:46 AM »
Sibelius: Symphony No 5 in E flat major - Halle Orchestra conducted by Sir John Barbirolli  (studio recording, 1966)

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #37347 on: April 08, 2021, 02:09:40 AM »
Pejacevic, Blumenleben

Honestly, I think these are amongst the best Romantic piano miniatures.

Repeating this again a couple of nights later, paying closer attention to the individual pieces. Really good.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37348 on: April 08, 2021, 02:17:17 AM »
More on Spotify:

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #37349 on: April 08, 2021, 02:21:17 AM »
Dvorak, The Orphan and Rosemary

A very long time before Dvorak created symphonic poems based on Erben's grim stories, he created actual songs out of them.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #37350 on: April 08, 2021, 03:07:07 AM »
To start with absolutely tonal. Its a ballet and therefore light on her feet, brilliantly orchestrated,  as if a bunch of fairies are visiting the earth, and perfectly fitted to match the Choreography.. Sauguet is a composer almost forgotten, but this he does not deserve. I rate him very highly.

Quite agree! Years ago my wife and I listened to his piano works endlessly: think Satie with all of the fun and none of the sarcasm. His SQs are esp. recommendable, particularly #2.  Also, worthy of mention, Sauguet was one extraordinary human being.  Thanks, Harry, for inspiring today's listening :

Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #37351 on: April 08, 2021, 03:20:36 AM »
Iberia, Book 3

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #37352 on: April 08, 2021, 03:40:43 AM »
Quite agree! Years ago my wife and I listened to his piano works endlessly: think Satie with all of the fun and none of the sarcasm. His SQs are esp. recommendable, particularly #2.  Also, worthy of mention, Sauguet was one extraordinary human being.  Thanks, Harry, for inspiring today's listening :

I am trying for years now finding some of his piano works, and your description is bang on, the SQ are a quest in itself to find. The Symphonies I have.
I am happy the Sauguet is giving you pleasure too!
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #37353 on: April 08, 2021, 03:59:17 AM »
Kabelac: Symphony No 5 in B flat minor Drammatica for Soprano without text and Orchestra - Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Marko Ivanovic with Pavla Vykopalova soprano. For me, the wordless soprano part outstays its welcome.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #37354 on: April 08, 2021, 04:10:59 AM »
The only other one I've heard is on a recording of Dowland's Lachrimae with a viol quintet from Schola Cantorum Basel. Your post prompted me to look and I found this

Which I now have, thanks to the kindness of strangers. Dombois's playing is characterful as is Nigel Rogers' voice,  new music for me. Let me know, Jan or anyone else, if you want it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 04:14:21 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #37355 on: April 08, 2021, 04:11:08 AM »
Dowland

CD 4

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #37356 on: April 08, 2021, 04:31:14 AM »
Sergey Sergeyevich Prokofiev.

CD I from 25.

Symphony No. 6, opus 111.
Waltz Suite, opus 110.

Scottish National Orchestra, Neeme Järvi.

From the 25 disc box, Neeme Järvi, A Lifetime on Chandos, the first disc is one I know well, and already own. I find the cycle Järvi recorded still the best on the market, so it was a joy to return to this sublime recording. It is well recorded. Järvi is a natural in handling the orchestra in the best possible way, to get maximum results. And he is a studio recording addict, and never forgetting the quality of a performance.
Sublime.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #37357 on: April 08, 2021, 04:39:05 AM »
Which I now have, thanks to the kindness of strangers. Dombois's playing is characterful as is Nigel Rogers' voice,  new music for me. Let me know, Jan or anyone else, if you want it.

Thank you Howard for your offer, I found a copy for a fair price,I am very curious about this recording. I like Morley and the musicians participating in this CD

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #37358 on: April 08, 2021, 05:08:07 AM »
Sergey Sergeyevich Prokofiev.

CD I from 25.

Symphony No. 6, opus 111.
Waltz Suite, opus 110.

Scottish National Orchestra, Neeme Järvi.

From the 25 disc box, Neeme Järvi, A Lifetime on Chandos, the first disc is one I know well, and already own. I find the cycle Järvi recorded still the best on the market, so it was a joy to return to this sublime recording. It is well recorded. Järvi is a natural in handling the orchestra in the best possible way, to get maximum results. And he is a studio recording addict, and never forgetting the quality of a performance.
Sublime.
That version of Prokofiev's 6th symphony is a classic one - one of the best versions on disc and I like the shorter accompanying work as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #37359 on: April 08, 2021, 05:11:35 AM »

Thanks Harry. I like the 'Expiatoire' Symphony very much and rate the others highly as well.

Now playing:
Roussel: Aeneas ballet (1935).
An atmospheric and poetic score which I'd never heard before. It reminded me a bit of Ravel's 'Daphnis and Chloe'. From the Roussel boxed set posted above. I only really knew symphonies 3 and 4 and a couple of other works and I'm pleased to be investigating more of his music:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:17:17 AM by vandermolen »