What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Sergey Sergeyevich Prokofiev.

CD I from 25.

Symphony No. 6, opus 111.
Waltz Suite, opus 110.

Scottish National Orchestra, Neeme Järvi.

From the 25 disc box, Neeme Järvi, A Lifetime on Chandos, the first disc is one I know well, and already own. I find the cycle Järvi recorded still the best on the market, so it was a joy to return to this sublime recording. It is well recorded. Järvi is a natural in handling the orchestra in the best possible way, to get maximum results. And he is a studio recording addict, and never forgetting the quality of a performance.
Sublime.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on April 08, 2021, 05:10:59 AM
Which I now have, thanks to the kindness of strangers. Dombois's playing is characterful as is Nigel Rogers' voice,  new music for me. Let me know, Jan or anyone else, if you want it.

Thank you Howard for your offer, I found a copy for a fair price,I am very curious about this recording. I like Morley and the musicians participating in this CD

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on April 08, 2021, 05:31:14 AM
Sergey Sergeyevich Prokofiev.

CD I from 25.

Symphony No. 6, opus 111.
Waltz Suite, opus 110.

Scottish National Orchestra, Neeme Järvi.

From the 25 disc box, Neeme Järvi, A Lifetime on Chandos, the first disc is one I know well, and already own. I find the cycle Järvi recorded still the best on the market, so it was a joy to return to this sublime recording. It is well recorded. Järvi is a natural in handling the orchestra in the best possible way, to get maximum results. And he is a studio recording addict, and never forgetting the quality of a performance.
Sublime.
That version of Prokofiev's 6th symphony is a classic one - one of the best versions on disc and I like the shorter accompanying work as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on April 08, 2021, 02:13:46 AM
To start with absolutely tonal. Its a ballet and therefore light on her feet, brilliantly orchestrated,  as if a bunch of fairies are visiting the earth, and perfectly fitted to match the Choreography.. Sauguet is a composer almost forgotten, but this he does not deserve. I rate him very highly.

Thanks Harry. I like the 'Expiatoire' Symphony very much and rate the others highly as well.

Now playing:
Roussel: Aeneas ballet (1935).
An atmospheric and poetic score which I'd never heard before. It reminded me a bit of Ravel's 'Daphnis and Chloe'. From the Roussel boxed set posted above. I only really knew symphonies 3 and 4 and a couple of other works and I'm pleased to be investigating more of his music:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Shostakovich

String Quartets 1-2 & 4

Mirror Image

Good to see you enjoying some Roussel, Jeffrey! Great stuff!

Thread duty:

Schoenberg
String Trio, Op. 45
Richard O'Neill (viola), Fred Sherry (cello), Rolf Schulte (violin)

The String Trio is certainly one of my favorite Schoenberg chamber works. Never fails to intrigue me.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on April 08, 2021, 06:33:20 AM

That is a terrific set. The music is unquestionably good but the performances are powerful.

The new erato

Quote from: aligreto on April 08, 2021, 06:38:44 AM
That is a terrific set. The music is unquestionably good but the performances are powerful.
Superb set IMO, occupying a fine position amongst my many sets.

Now laboring through cascades of notes in disc 2 of this:

Harry

Francesco Venturini.
Concerti da Camera.
La Festa Musicale.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on April 08, 2021, 06:38:44 AM

I have only two sets with these quartets,the other are with the Fitzwilliam Quartet and they are still fine to me too,don's ask me to choose,I'm Happy with both. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on April 08, 2021, 07:40:37 AM
I have only two sets with these quartets,the other are with the Fitzwilliam Quartet and they are still fine to me too,don's ask me to choose,I'm Happy with both. :)

Surprised you don't own the Borodin Quartet's set on Melodiya, Jan. This has been my go-to for these SQs for years, although I don't listen to much Shostakovich these days.

Karl Henning

Quote from: The new erato on April 08, 2021, 06:45:39 AM

Listening to the Sorabji remains a work-in-progress for me, but I seem always to enjoy myself.

Thread Duty:

"Papa"
Symphonies nos. 82 in G « Militaire », 102 in Bb 104 in D « London »
NY Phil
Lenny

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on April 08, 2021, 03:17:17 AM
More on Spotify:

Following Que's lead again w/ Jean-Marie Leclair - listening to the Spotify playlist (inserted above) of recordings not in my collection although some of the works are, e.g. Op. 7 & Op. 10 - still could not find the Daniel Cuiller recording on my Spotify app - saw it on the link given previously but was 'empty' for me - maybe an issue on how Spotify operates 'across the pond' - don't know.  Dave :)

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 08, 2021, 07:43:48 AM
Surprised you don't own the Borodin Quartet's set on Melodiya, Jan. This has been my go-to for these SQs for years, although I don't listen to much Shostakovich these days.

I bought these Quartets with the Pacifica Quartet because of the enthusiastic reviews, I go crazy when I have to have everything in multiple recordings of every interesting piece of music. I am interested in all styles of music where the romantic period in general is at the very back of my interest.
I pay more attention to "modern music" than ever before.
There are periods when I change my listening preferences and mainly listen to early music or start listening to all Bach cantatas again.
I have a good musical memory, but to know all the cantatas after having heard them only once, no that is impossible although it is surprising how much sticks.
When I listen to a mass I try to do that regardless of its liturgical context, only what sounds in relation to the degree to which I am receptive is decisive.
Paul van Nevel would be horrified by the idea that his many recordings of "religious music" are a service act different from strictly the music itself.
So I am looking more for a certain purity in the music that can have many guises, it must be more than just a way of relaxing if it is to transcend a certain everydayness.
You cannot relate to music if you do not also examine yourself and you will find that there is little that is immutable.
Sometimes you are so captivated by the music that it totally throws you off your feet, makes the blood flow faster and you get a "total experience". This is the most beautiful thing that can happen to you and you cannot control it.
You can say, well they are only vibrations, but then you have never really listened or encountered what the sounds suggest or can evoke.
There are psychologists who say that someone who listens to the music of a folk singer can experience the same thing as myself when listening to a Bach cantata.  :o
I hope it's not complete nonsense

Traverso

Penderecki

His first violin Concerto

Iota

Shostakovich: String Quartet No.2

First time I've heard the Pavel Haas play this quartet, which was my first favourite of his I think (I was subsequently rather surprised at the low opinion some people seemed to have of it). I must say I don't think I've ever heard the Adagio 2nd movt. played so affectingly, the other movements none too shabby either. Their playing always seems to teem with character, offered up with Dickens-like vividness, really an excellent and very involving recording.  :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: The new erato on April 08, 2021, 06:45:39 AM

Interesting. I will get the disc!

The new erato

There are 7 in this set of variations...  :-\

Papy Oli

A first listen to Delibes earlier today. Really enjoyed that. I think a recording of those will find its way in my collection at some point.

Olivier

Carlo Gesualdo

To one of my favorite obscure composer Philip Van Wilder active in London U.K. An anoter one Notker Balbulus  after one of our first know theoric music teacher , composer, monk of St.Gallen, Swiss.

After classical I will submit to ''classical non-classic origin'' but at time symphonicc, From Swiss too Celtic Frost albums, Morbid Tales, Into Mega Therion, Vanity/Nemesis or Monotheist that a great album hey. but non-classical.

Not a metal head but like C.F  8)