What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GioCar and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Florestan on April 09, 2021, 11:33:55 PM

This gentle, caressing, comforting Requiem, this "lullaby to death" in loving memory of my father who passed away during sleep a week ago.

My deepest condolences, Andrei. I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your father.

Papy Oli

Debussy - Etudes (Queffélec)

Olivier

Madiel

Listening to at least some of this Faure recital (though my copy is labelled as Melodies, not Chansons, rather peculiar that there's 2 otherwise very similar editions). Sarah Walker being amongst the singers of this repertoire that I've encountered, and Martineau repeatedly demonstrating his qualities as an accompanist.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

The new erato

Condolences to you, Andrei.

Somehow late Schubert from this set seems appropriate:

Mandryka

Quote from: Madiel on April 10, 2021, 03:55:12 AM
Listening to at least some of this Faure recital (though my copy is labelled as Melodies, not Chansons, rather peculiar that there's 2 otherwise very similar editions). Sarah Walker being amongst the singers of this repertoire that I've encountered, and Martineau repeatedly demonstrating his qualities as an accompanist.

I was listening to Faure too, I wonder what you think of Jérôme Corréas, the diction seems really good to me.

https://www.youtube.com/v/WprBmzj8hWo&ab_channel=LesPaladins-Topic
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on April 10, 2021, 04:35:59 AM
Stravinsky

Enjoy your new set, Jan. I look forward to seeing all of the cover artwork.

Madiel

Quote from: Mandryka on April 10, 2021, 04:18:06 AM
I was listening to Faure too, I wonder what you think of Jérôme Corréas, the diction seems really good to me.

https://www.youtube.com/v/WprBmzj8hWo&ab_channel=LesPaladins-Topic

That was interesting, I don't think I'd heard him before.

He seems fairly good, but not top draw for me as his tone is not entirely to my taste. For that chamber version of La bonne chanson I recently purchased Sanford Sylvan's recording.

EDIT: Discovered Youtube has Sylvan's version of the exact same song.

https://www.youtube.com/v/xbiVbrdLuIo
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

pjme

Quote from: Madiel on April 10, 2021, 03:55:12 AM

Great artists & cd, horrible photograph: "My hairdresser recommends Elnett Satin."

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on April 09, 2021, 11:47:21 PM
My heartfelt condolences, Andrei. All the best in dealing with such terrible loss.

Andrei - sorry for your loss.  :(  Dave

Que

Newly in:

Very impressive. But that can hardly be surprising with this star-studded line up of performers.

bhodges

Quote from: Florestan on April 09, 2021, 11:33:55 PM

This gentle, caressing, comforting Requiem, this "lullaby to death" in loving memory of my father who passed away during sleep a week ago.

So sorry to hear this. You are clearly finding solace in music, and hope you have friends and family to help as well.

--Bruce

Biffo

Mozart: Piano Concerto No 16 in D major, K 451 - Daniel Barenboim soloist & conductor with the English Chamber Orchestra

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on April 10, 2021, 04:46:17 AM
Enjoy your new set, Jan. I look forward to seeing all of the cover artwork.

Hi Fergus, the box has just arrived, I take the pictures of the covers myself because I don't find them on the internet.
This first recording is immediately a very nice one. It will be no secret that I love Stravinsky and that also means the less known and less appealing pieces.
I love all the periods of this composer who is  without a doubt one of the prominent figures of the last century.
My appreciation has only increased in recent years, especially the lesser-known pieces,it took far too long for me to give these works the attention they deserve.
When I think of Stravinsky I think of his Scherzo a la Russe directed by himself, a really lovely funny piece that clearly shows a side of his character.  :)

bhodges

R. Strauss: Metamorphosen (Norwegian Chamber Orchestra) - A gorgeous live performance (posted on YouTube in 2016), beautifully staged and lit. Interestingly, the musicians are barefoot (!) but never mind, the artistry rules above all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlpNB0WeQaQ

--Bruce

Biffo

Dvorak: The Golden Spinning Wheel, Op 109 - London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Istvan Kertesz

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on April 10, 2021, 04:35:59 AM
Stravinsky

I have this set as well, but the problem I'm having with it and why I haven't listened to any of it is because I like to ripping CDs to my computer and it's having trouble finding the metadata for this set. I'm definitely not going to be typing in all the information. It's great looking set, though. I hope this problem gets rectified.

Harry

Neeme Järvi, A lifetime on Chandos.

Igor Stravinsky.

CD 2 from 25.

Jeu de Cartes, A Ballet in three deals.
Orpheus, a Ballet in three scenes.
Histoire du Soldat, Suite from the Dramatic Work.

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Neeme Järvi.
Scottish National Orchestra, Neeme Järvi.

Love the performances and recording, this is prime Stravinsky, presented by two outstanding orchestras, and of course Neeme Järvi. The Ballet's are well projected. I thoroughly enjoyed what I heard.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

ritter

Earlier today, this recent purchase:

I already knew Sacha Guitry's and Reynaldo Hahn's comédie musicale Ô mon bel inconnu in an old broadcast recording under Jean Brebion on the now defunct Gaîté Lyrique label. This lavish new release by the Palazzetto Bru Zane (their usual format of a book—with interesting essays on the work—including the CD) is shorn of the spoken dialogues, which in a way "denaturalises" the piece, but also makes it more amenable for home listening; it is also musically far superior. Some could argue it's too sophisticated, but the delicate melancholy of Hahn's score (particularly the accomplished orchestration) comes through very nicely, and the cast (led by the great Véronique Gens) does an excellent job under conductor Samuel Jean. Delightful in its inconsequentiality, and some numbers (the strophes "C'est très vilain d'être infidèle", the trio "Ô mon bel inconnu", the orchestral interludes) are enchanting.

And now, another recent arrival:

Apart from the well-known Saudades do Brasil, this CD shows Milhaud in a more restrained form, a sort of "sunny nostalgia". Françoise Choveaux plays the music beautifully. A very enjoyable disc!

Florestan

Quote from: Que on April 09, 2021, 11:47:21 PM
My heartfelt condolences, Andrei. All the best in dealing with such terrible loss.

Quote from: vandermolen on April 10, 2021, 12:17:04 AM
So sorry to hear this sad news. All strength to you and your family Andrei.

Quote from: "Harry" on April 10, 2021, 12:17:32 AM
+1

Quote from: Traverso on April 10, 2021, 01:42:53 AM
I'm really sorry to hear this Andrei,my sincere condolences.

Quote from: pjme on April 10, 2021, 02:32:20 AM
Cu sincere condoleanțe, Andrei.

Kindest regards from Peter.

Quote from: Madiel on April 10, 2021, 03:10:21 AM
My condolences.

Quote from: aligreto on April 10, 2021, 03:15:12 AM
I too would like to offer my condolences to you for your loss, Andrei,

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 10, 2021, 03:33:30 AM
My deepest condolences, Andrei. I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your father.

Quote from: The new erato on April 10, 2021, 03:56:58 AM
Condolences to you, Andrei.

Quote from: Brewski on April 10, 2021, 05:11:01 AM
So sorry to hear this. You are clearly finding solace in music, and hope you have friends and family to help as well.

--Bruce

Thank you very much, gentlemen, much appreciated! You are so kind... I'm impressed and consider you all as friends.

I might have missed nominally quoting all those who expressed their condolences --- rest assured I didn't miss reading your post. Thanks again, all of you!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy