What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brunumb (+ 1 Hidden) and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

SonicMan46

Raff, Joachim - Solo Piano Works w/ Tra Nguyen - now listening to Vols. 1, 2, & 5 from Spotify; have ordered V. 3, 4, & 6 from BRO ($5 USD per disc) - stimulated by several of Harry's posts on the box set from Grand Piano, as shown below; reviews of all six recordings can be found on the Raff Society Website and also on MusicWeb (first 4 CDs).  Dave :)

DavidW

Quote from: aukhawk on April 11, 2021, 07:47:26 AM
Strange choice of photo for the sleeve though don't you think?

That was not actually the one that Qobuz used when I streamed it.  It was just the only high res version I could find when making my post.  All of the covers on Qobuz and Spotify are just different pictures of Petrenko. 

Florestan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 10, 2021, 07:40:21 PM
My sincere condolences, Andrei. I'm sure your father passed away glad and satisfied by having a marvelous family and son as I firmly think you are.

Thank you very much, Cesar.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

More piano music chez ritter this evening...

CD1 of Marc-André Hamelin's traversal of Busoni's late piano output, including the Elegies, the wonderful Nuit de Noël, and other pieces...

pjme

This afternoon, on TV (Stingray Classica), a really fine and original concert.

From Prague/ Rudolfinum (2020): Czech PhO Semyon Bychkov, Ivo Kahanek, piano and Michael Kroutil, timpani, in Bohuslav Martinu's Double concerto, the Labèque sisters in Martinu's Concerto for two pianos and Henri Dutilleux's second symphony.
Very impressive, superlative music making!
Two concertante works by Martinu was possibly a bit much, but since Marielle Labèque is married to Semyon Bychkov,  that may explain the choice.
Kahanek and Kroupil were superb in the great, moving and terrifying Double concerto. The Labèque sisters (as ever "très sveltes & élégantes"...but the black manes and red lips can no longer mask their age (my age  ;))...) are still superbly fleet and nimble fingered. Martinu's two piano concerto is fun and quite spectacular, but pales a bit in comparison with the Double concerto.
In Dutilleux the Czech PhO was very complete - the score calls for a normal orchestra and a group of 12 musicians, comprising of oboe, clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, trombone, two violins, viola, cello, harpsichord, celesta, and timpani.
I hadn't heard that work for a very long time. I had it on an Erato LP (Munch/Lamoureux)...Imposing ,mysterious score, elaborate and meticulously crafted , poetical. The last movement ( busy work for all the extra soloists)reminded me of Frank Martin's Concerto for 7 winds, timpani and strings.

Wiki - Dutilleux's own words:
My work incorporates a rather singular formation. Division into two groups: in the first, 12 musicians chosen amongst the first desk players, disposed in a semi-circle around the conductor; in the second, the entire orchestra. This arrangement can hardly help evoking the traditional concerto grosso, although my ideal in fact has been to escape from this form whose pre-fabricated dimension seems incompatible with contemporary language. I thus endeavoured to avoid the stumbling block of the somewhat archaic form; the twelve musicians of the smaller orchestra considered separately do not constantly play the role of soloists; it is the mass they form that constitutes the solo element. This mass does not merely confront and dialogue with the larger formation, but at times fuses with, or superimposes itself upon the latter, leaving ample opportunity for polyrhyhthmics and polytonality.

Anyway, a beautiful concert. I loved every minute. Bychkov seems to be very happy in Prague!

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: ultralinear on April 11, 2021, 09:36:56 AM
Funnily enough, I was listening to that only last week, as I had just ripped it to HDD.  It's been in my car for years, as my music-to-listen-to-while-stuck-in-traffic, due to its amazing calming effect. ;D

I must try that as I am occasionally in need of calming behind the wheel.  :)  Some prefer the Quatuor Molinari in the same repertoire but have not heard them. 
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

steve ridgway

Maxwell Davies - Revelation And Fall.

steve ridgway

JBS

Quote from: aukhawk on April 11, 2021, 07:47:26 AM
Strange choice of photo for the sleeve though don't you think?

I have the original issues of those. The photos were all DSCH at or about the same time as the symphony on the CD. In this case it's [I'm fairly sure] Shostakovich, Barshai (as conductor) and the vocal soloists taking their bow at one of the symphony's premiere performances.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Irons

Arnold: Serenade for Small Orchestra.

Delicate, light and airy, all is well with the world.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mandryka

She plays them like Debussy's preludes, an exploration of timbre and rhythm but impressionistic, I mean - it does not sound like abstract music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Karl Henning

"Wolferl"
Symphony № 36 in C, K. 425 « Linz »
Symphony № 39 in Eb, K.543
Symphony № 40 in g minor, K550
Symphony № 41 in C, K. 4551 « Jupiter »
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Daverz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 11, 2021, 02:25:07 PM
"Wolferl"
Symphony № 36 in C, K. 425 « Linz »
Symphony № 39 in Eb, K.543
Symphony № 40 in g minor, K550
Symphony № 41 in C, K. 4551 « Jupiter »
NY Phil
Lenny

So how is Lenny's New York Mozart?  I think his Vienna recordings are better known.

TD: Gerber: Symphony No. 1

A serious minded piece, mostly on the slow and contemplative side, sort of like Shostakovich without the circus music.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Daverz on April 11, 2021, 02:37:08 PM
So how is Lenny's New York Mozart?  I think his Vienna recordings are better known.

TD: Gerber: Symphony No. 1

A serious minded piece, mostly on the slow and contemplative side, sort of like Shostakovich without the circus music.
I find Lenny's New York Mozart good, light of tread (for "big band" Mozart, and energetic
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Elgar's 2nd which is finally clicking with me

Schubert's 3rd-5th Dausgaard

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on April 11, 2021, 12:50:33 PM
Arnold: Serenade for Small Orchestra.

Delicate, light and airy, all is well with the world.

Such an endearing piece indeed. The very gentle beginning always puts me in the right mood.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Concerto gregoriano

It always intrigues me how similar the 1st movement sounds to anything by VW.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

This is mid-late period Fidi, recorded in 1972. His previous commercial account, also with Gerald Moore, dates from 1962 (EMI). His first commercial recording (w. klaus Billing) dates as far back as 1948. In this early effort the voice is to die for. Already a mature artist at 23, he displays a lambent tone with a solid core. That is one of the finest vocal discs I know of. The DGG recordings (all three cycles) from 1971-72 find him in still excellent voice, if with a slight edge to the forte high notes. These are particularly 'manly' accounts where his artistry as a raconteur is second to none. A later remake (with Brendel on Philips, released in 1982) is distinctly less appealing. For my money, this 1972 recording and the 1948 one show the artist at his vocal and artistic peak. For a tenor voice version Jan Kobow (ATMA) is my first choice.

Carlo Gesualdo

My Old 1951 Palestrina on Lyricord record...

Two masses compliment this offering

Missa- Sine Nomine (In is name) side 1

Missa -Iste confessor''

Conducted by James Welch an his Chorale ensemble, super good, just wax it polished it's, trough  soft cloth , Cleaner machine and products, it's like new.

Symphonic Addict

Oriental Rhapsody

One of his most epic and cogent works. I'd forgot how memorable it is. An old man's ballad is sublime. Love it!

Noam Chomsky