What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter (+ 1 Hidden) and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Irons

Martinu: 5th String Quartet.

The urgency took me by surprise by both the Janacek SQ and the work itself.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Karl Henning

Stravinsky
Canticum sacrum ad honorem Sancti Marci nominis
Introitus TS Eliot in memoriam
A Sermon, a Narrative and a Prayer
Anthem: The dove descending breaks the air
Threni, (id est Lamentationes Jeremiæ prophetæ)

Disc 21: Sacred Works Vol. 2
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

"Wolferl"
Symphony № 29 in A, K.201
Mozart Akademie Amsterdam
Jaap ter Linden
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on April 13, 2021, 12:08:57 PM
Joining Traverso with some Messiaen tonight: Peter Serkin plays Vingt regards sur l'Enfant Jésus.

From the big box:

Lovely, Rafael and a good day to you.

NP:

Messiaen
Quatuor pour la fin du temps
Tashi

Iota

Mirror Image

Quote from: Iota on April 13, 2021, 01:47:40 PM
That it is.  :)

Do you think you'll be exploring much Hindemith now that you seem to have a new appreciation for his music?

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: ritter on April 13, 2021, 12:08:57 PM
Joining Traverso with some Messiaen tonight: Peter Serkin plays Vingt regards sur l'Enfant Jésus.

From the big box:

I was un-blissfully unaware that Serkin recorded a Vingt regards... Where are my hair shirt and cat o' nine tails?...
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Daverz

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on April 13, 2021, 02:33:56 PM
I was un-blissfully unaware that Serkin recorded a Vingt regards... Where are my hair shirt and cat o' nine tails?...

Also Visions de l'Amen with Takahashi.

I remember my Lp copy had some nice bumps on the record surface.  Good to have it free of mediocre Red Seal vinyl.

Stürmisch Bewegt

I have never listened to the Schubert Symphonies in sequence; will do so several times this week - looking forward to re-hearing Karajan's which haven't many adherents.  I really admire Harnoncourt's research into them; though the end product doesn't always impress (except for his Unfinished), it always interests.

Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: Daverz on April 13, 2021, 02:41:30 PM
Also Visions de l'Amen with Takahashi.

I remember my Lp copy had some nice bumps on the record surface.  Good to have it free of mediocre Red Seal vinyl.

Remember how bendable those were?  Quite astonishing! 

Brahmsian

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on April 13, 2021, 02:50:00 PM
I have never listened to the Schubert Symphonies in sequence; will do so several times this week - looking forward to re-hearing Karajan's which haven't many adherents.  I really admire Harnoncourt's research into them; though the end product doesn't always impress (except for his Unfinished), it always interests.

Gosh, now I feel like doing the same thing with Kertesz and Vienna playing the Schubert symphonies. A set that I so dearly love.

Karl Henning

Fact is, once I get on a roll with Stravinsky, I've no will to stop

Stravinsky
Arrangement of JSB's Canonic Variation on Vom Himmel hoch,da komm' ich her
Le roi des étoiles
Three Slavonic Motets
Cantata
Mass
Babel

Disc 20: Sacred Works Vol. 1
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

Rather specialized repertoire to be sure but since it exists, why not record it ?  ;D. Horn player André van Driessche was principal in the Belgian Radio Philharmonic, then the Flemish Radio Orchestra and the Brussels Philharmonic. Taught horn playing at the Royal Conservatory in Brussels. He displays a superb technique, producing golden liquid tones or rustic ones at will. Furthermore I think it's safe to say he knows the works like the back of his hand. All of the composers were fellow Conservatory teachers or conductors in one of the orchestras he played in.

The composers are Robert Herberigs, Prosper van Eechaute, Arthur Meulemans and Marinus de Jong. I only know and have music of, the last two named. Never heard of Herberigs (1886-1974) or van Eechaute (1904-1964) before. Be that as it may, all the music here is really worth listening to. There's plenty to please and a few surprises. How about an english horn solo to introduce the french horn in the slow movement of the Meulemans concerto? The effect is like watching water mixing with oil. A rather daring coloristic effect. Herberig's Cyrano de Bergerac is a suite for horn and orchestra, and very entertaining it is !

A fine disc I'm discovering through the good offices of Dry Brett Kavanaugh. Thank you, kind sir !

Mirror Image

NP:

Strauss
Daphne
Hilde Gueden (soprano), Vera Little (mezzo-soprano), Rita Streich (soprano), Paul Schöffler (bass), Hans Braun (baritone), James King (tenor), Fritz Wunderlich (tenor), Erika Mechera (mezzo-soprano), Kurt Equiluz (tenor), Ludwig Welter (bass), Harald Pröglhöf (bass), Norbert Scherlich (chorus master), Hans Braun (bass)
Wiener Staatsopernorchester
Chor der Wiener Staatsoper
Karl Böhm

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on April 13, 2021, 01:01:24 PM
Martinu: 5th String Quartet.

The urgency took me by surprise by both the Janacek SQ and the work itself.

Martinu's most dramatic quartet. It must be a fierce rendition for sure.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

The Andante moderato on this performance leaves me speechless whenever I play it. There is something really special on this interpretation by the BPO under Karajan. Unquestionably one of the most sublime, majestic, profound and poignant music I've ever heard. Mahler expressed so much in this movement, not to say in the whole symphony. Totally transfixing.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 13, 2021, 04:20:45 PM
The Andante moderato on this performance leaves me speechless whenever I play it. There is something really special on this interpretation by the BPO under Karajan. Unquestionably one of the most sublime, majestic, profound and poignant music I've ever heard. Mahler expressed so much in this movement, not to say in the whole symphony. Totally transfixing.

Pounds the table! I should revisit Karajan's Mahler, although I think of him as a better Bruckner conductor generally.

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: André on April 13, 2021, 03:42:07 PM

Rather specialized repertoire to be sure but since it exists, why not record it ?  ;D. Horn player André van Driessche was principal in the Belgian Radio Philharmonic, then the Flemish Radio Orchestra and the Brussels Philharmonic. Taught horn playing at the Royal Conservatory in Brussels. He displays a superb technique, producing golden liquid tones or rustic ones at will. Furthermore I think it's safe to say he knows the works like the back of his hand. All of the composers were fellow Conservatory teachers or conductors in one of the orchestras he played in.

The composers are Robert Herberigs, Prosper van Eechaute, Arthur Meulemans and Marinus de Jong. I only know and have music of, the last two named. Never heard of Herberigs (1886-1974) or van Eechaute (1904-1964) before. Be that as it may, all the music here is really worth listening to. There's plenty to please and a few surprises. How about an english horn solo to introduce the french horn in the slow movement of the Meulemans concerto? The effect is like watching water mixing with oil. A rather daring coloristic effect. Herberig's Cyrano de Bergerac is a suite for horn and orchestra, and very entertaining it is !

A fine disc I'm discovering through the good offices of Dry Brett Kavanaugh. Thank you, kind sir !

Thanks a lot for the explanation and insights on the recording. It is very helpful. Glad you liked it.

Daverz

One of my favorite "contemporary" composers.  I especially love the Caprichos series.