What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Daverz on April 13, 2021, 06:10:31 PM

One of my favorite "contemporary" composers.  I especially love the Caprichos series.

I will check them out. I like his Guernica and some others.

Daverz

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 13, 2021, 06:24:39 PM
I will check them out. I like his Guernica and some others.

The disc of Caprichos 2, 3 & 4 is the one to start with, I think:

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Daverz on April 13, 2021, 06:28:47 PM
The disc of Caprichos 2, 3 & 4 is the one to start with, I think:

I have it and like it.  :)

Mirror Image

NP:

Schulhoff
String Quartets Nos. 1 & 2
Petersen Quartett

Such outstanding works. I seem to come back to these two SQs a lot. His very first SQ is actually not on par with these later two. It seems these two SQs and the solo piano works are what I come back to when I want to listen to Schulhoff. He certainly did write some fine orchestral works, but I don't listen to them very much, although I do rather like his ballets like Die Mondsüchtige and Ogelala, which for those that haven't heard these two ballets and enjoy 20th Century ballet music, should definitely check these two works out.

bhodges

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 13, 2021, 04:20:45 PM
The Andante moderato on this performance leaves me speechless whenever I play it. There is something really special on this interpretation by the BPO under Karajan. Unquestionably one of the most sublime, majestic, profound and poignant music I've ever heard. Mahler expressed so much in this movement, not to say in the whole symphony. Totally transfixing.

This recording was my first encounter with Mahler 6, and I still admire it. At first, I must have played the opening movement 10 or 20 times. And yes, the slow movement is one of Mahler's best, which is saying something. (Other contenders: the final movements of Nos. 3 and 9, and the Adagio from the Tenth.) But yes, an emotional experience of the best kind.

--Bruce

Mirror Image

NP:

Strauss
Metamorphosen, TrV 290
The Nash Ensemble

I wish Hyperion would get around to recording the rest of Strauss' chamber works like the Violin Sonata, Cello Sonata, the works for winds, etc. Anyway, this is such an incredible recording from The Nash Ensemble.

Harry

Morning listening.

J.S. Bach.
Complete Organ Works.
Volume XII.

1-2. Prelude & Fugue in D major ("Little"), BWV 532 [4:52, 5:58]
3. Chorale Prelude Christum wir sollen loben schon, BWV 696 [1:19]
4. Chorale Prelude Gelobet seist du, Jesu Christ (II), BWV 697 [1:03]
5. Chorale Prelude (Fughetta) Herr Christ, der einig Gottes Sohn, BWV 698 [1:16]
6. Chorale Prelude Nun komm der Heiden Heiland (VI), BWV 699 [1:14]
7. Chorale Prelude Vom Himmel hoch, da komm ich her (III), BWV 701 [1:54]
8. Chorale Prelude (Fughetta) Das Jesulein soll doch mein Trost, BWV 702 [1:05]
9. Chorale Prelude Lob sei dem allmächtigen Gott (II), BWV 704 [1:13]
10. Fugue on the Magnificat: Meine Seele erhebet den Herren, BWV 733 [4:59]
11. Chorale Prelude Allein Gott in der Höh sei Ehr (VII), BWV 711 [3:17]
12. Chorale Prelude Allein Gott in der Hoh' sei Ehr' (IX), BWV 717 [3:27]
13. Chorale Prelude Allein Gott in der Höh sei Ehr (VIII), BWV 715 [2:14]
14. Fugue on a theme by Corelli in B minor, BWV 579 [6:10]
15. Fugue on a theme by Legrenzi in C minor, BWV 574 [6:48]
16. Chorale Prelude Wir Christenleut, BWV 710 [2:35]
17-18. Prelude & Fugue in G major, BWV 541 [3:22, 4:43]
19. Chorale Prelude Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier (IV), BWV 730 [1:53]
20. Chorale Prelude Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier (V), BWV 731 [2:56]
21. Chorale Prelude Vater unser im Himmelreich (IV), BWV 737 [2:43]
2. Chorale Prelude Wer nur den lieben Gott lässt walten (III), BWV 690 [2:37]
23. Chorale Prelude Jesus, meine Zuversicht, BWV 728 [2:07]

Ewald Kooiman plays on a Johann Nepomuk Holzhey organ 1798.
Temperament: Kirnberger III. Pitch: A1 = 421 Hz.

With CD 12 of this series the world ticks in the right place again. Kooiman feels at ease with this organ, and that shows in the playing. This great Holzhey organ is giving him ample space to unfold his genius. It is an organ in a transition period, and normally I shun organs after 1750, but it is quite acceptable. It is the largest organ Holzhey built.
It is difficult to find a downloadable picture, GMG is forever saying that the files are to big.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Morning listening:

Recently arrived on disc -

"Leal Amour, Flemish composers at the Court of Philip II"  was recorded in 1999 and contains motets and mass mvts by Philippe Rogier, Georges de la Hèle, Gerard van Turnhout, Pierre de Manchicourt, Nicolas Payen and Nicolas Gombert.

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on April 13, 2021, 11:24:53 PM

With CD 12 of this series the world ticks in the right place again. Kooiman feels at ease with this organ, and that shows in the playing. This great Holzhey organ is giving him ample space to unfold his genius. It is an organ in a transition period, and normally I shun organs after 1750, but it is quite acceptable. It is the largest organ Holzhey built.
It is difficult to find a downloadable picture, GMG is forever saying that the files are to big.

Nice.  :) I will await my time to get it.... 8)

I'm sure at some time it will become available for streaming.
Or perhaps there will be one last reissue on disc before anyone that is familiar with the name of Ewald Kooiman and still owns a CD player has kicked the bucket... ;)

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 13, 2021, 04:19:18 PM
Martinu's most dramatic quartet. It must be a fierce rendition for sure.

The first time I have Martinu and Bartok as bedfellows.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 13, 2021, 06:48:21 PM
NP:

Schulhoff
String Quartets Nos. 1 & 2
Petersen Quartett

Such outstanding works. I seem to come back to these two SQs a lot. His very first SQ is actually not on par with these later two. It seems these two SQs and the solo piano works are what I come back to when I want to listen to Schulhoff. He certainly did write some fine orchestral works, but I don't listen to them very much, although I do rather like his ballets like Die Mondsüchtige and Ogelala, which for those that haven't heard these two ballets and enjoy 20th Century ballet music, should definitely check these two works out.

The 1st Quartet and it's use of dance in each of the first three movements is like going to a posh restaurant and having cauliflower three ways. The last movement (slow) is beautiful.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Harry

Quote from: Que on April 13, 2021, 11:33:13 PM
Nice.  :) I will await my time to get it.... 8)

I'm sure at some time it will become available for streaming.
Or perhaps there will be one last reissue on disc before anyone that is familiar with the name of Ewald Kooiman and still owns a CD player has kicked the bucket... ;)

Streaming is a large phenomenon Que, but CD players will be around for a long time, for there are many people that own large collections, and want to have the physical thing to hold cherish and look at. Jan was so kind as to find me this set, and maybe he can do that genius trick again for you. He has a nose for bargains from the past.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Florestan

No. 2

Previn's First is a dud but the Second is a corker.

D960

Sublime.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

aukhawk

Quote from: Traverso on April 13, 2021, 09:59:44 AM
HI John,I sold the older EMI set,the Warner edition has the same recordings and 7 more.
I have the Messiaen Orchestral Works  (DG) and the very good set from hänssler Cambreling.Listening to these recordings today was very rewarding and every time that I listen to it it reveals more sense and beauty.It is the first time that I listened to the complete cataloque d'oiseaux and I never felt a moment of feeling lost. :D
Music is the most abstract art form and bearing this in mind I cannot help but feel that I was listening to meaningful music that did not feel abstract, I felt part of all the strange birds, felt stillness and wonder

I'd have a hard time listening to the entire Catalogue in one session - about three Oiseaux at at time is about my mark.  And I do like some markedly better than others, L'Alouette Lulu (Wood Lark) and Le Courlis Cendre (Curlew) especially are my favourites, but also Le Loriot (Golden Oriole), Le Merle bleu (Blue Rock Thrush) and Le Chocard des Alpes (Alpine Chough) and so I have multiple recordings of these to listen to. On rhe other hand I usually avoid the rough edges of La Buse Variable (Buzzard) and especially La Chouette Hulotte (The Tawny Owl) "like the cry of a child being murdered".

I also enjoy Messaien's many other birdsong references in his music - several other piano pieces explicitly referencing birds - but also some organ music eg Livre d'Orgue, IV, Chants d'oiseaux, and Messe de la Pentecote, IV, Communion, Les oiseaux et les sources - and orchestral eg Le Reveil des Oiseaux, and Oiseaux Exotiques.  But also non-explicitly-referenced (or 'hidden') birdsong motifs crop up constantly throughout his music in all three of these genres, I can't give examples because I don't make listening notes and just hear this stuff, and then it's gone.  He seemed to especially like the Robin (Le rouge-gorge) and fragments of Robin motif are always cropping up.  We seem to have a bit of a plague of Robins here in the UK at the moment, these territorial little birds are getting a bit overcrowded and increasingly vocal.  At close quarters they are incredibly loud.  The one in my garden will approach to within a foot of me whenever I go out to do a bit of tidying, he's good company as long as he keeps his beak shut.

pjme

Quote from: André on April 13, 2021, 03:42:07 PM

A fine disc I'm discovering through the good offices of Dry Brett Kavanaugh. Thank you, kind sir !
"Rather specialized repertoire to be sure but since it exists, why not record it ?"
Over several decades, the Belgian Ministries of Culture tried to promote some (19th -20th century) composers: LPs (Decca, Cultura) and Cds (BRT/VRT / VAR...) were made, were sent to embassies, were occasionally broadcast and then largely forgotten. Furthermore Belgium is squeezed between two giants, Germany and France, it is divided by a lingual barrier (lots of politico/financial/cultural incidents & struggles) and, over the last decades, the general interest has shifted from (late)romantic music to early / baroque music and all kinds of more contemporary expressions.  Paul Van Nevel, la petite Bande, Collegium Vocale, Philippe Herreweghe, Graindelavoix, Zefiro Torna....Ictus Ensemble, Eric Schleichim,....Etc.

https://classics.flandersartsinstitute.be/who%E2%80%99s-who-classical-music-flanders

The Belgian Radio Philharmonic, then the Flemish Radio Orchestra and the Brussels Philharmonic.
"The Brussels Philharmonic was founded in 1935 by the Belgian public broadcaster (National Broadcasting Institute (NIR/INR - later BRT/BRTN/VRT).
In 1991 the Orchestre Symphonique de la RTBF (the French sister ensemble) was definitively dismantled.
In 1998 the VRT orchestra is detached from the broadcasting organisation and restarts –in 2008 - as Brussels Philharmonic. Michel Tabachnik is followed by Stéphane Denève.
https://www.brusselsphilharmonic.be/en/orchestra

Robert Herberigs, Prosper van Eechaute, Arthur Meulemans and Marinus de Jong.

Of these 4, van Eechaute is the least well known (imho). And forgotten...
https://www.svm.be/content/van-eechaute-prosper?display=biography&language=en
https://youtu.be/MOwRzXiJlsA

Meulemans isn't totally unknown on GMG. Huge oeuvre (cfr Milhaud and Martinu), he wrote in almost every genre, from simple folksy/nationalistic/religious songs, to huge symphonies (15!) operas, oratoria, chamber music, concerti.... As with most his direct contemporaries: too "modern" for his late Romantic teachers, far too romantic & tonal for the 1950-1960 generation. The fact that he kept on working during WWII (out of need to feed his family...), tainted his reputation.
https://www.svm.be/content/meulemans-arthur?display=biography&language=en
https://youtu.be/xPyvE7-qh1c

I rather like Robert Herberigs. A "burgundian, Brueghelian" type, also a writer and a painter... with an apricot plantation in the south of France. What I know of him is big, bold, often very dramatic, very colorfull. The late symphonic poems are all "heavily" orchestrated. He loved Ravel and Richard Strauss. In 1948-1949 he wrote a very monumental score for Het Lam Gods spel - an open air evocation of Van Eyck's Ghent altar piece.
https://www.svm.be/content/herberigs-robert?display=biography&language=en
https://youtu.be/ymkTef8z6BY
Marinus de Jong is my least favorite composer of these 4. He had a profound knowledge of all the technical wizardries of composing... remains quite dull to my ears.
https://www.svm.be/content/de-jong-marinus?display=biography&language=en

https://youtu.be/NqynrD9yMUE
https://youtu.be/32fl7uEl06w

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on April 14, 2021, 12:11:16 AM
Streaming is a large phenomenon Que, but CD players will be around for a long time, for there are many people that own large collections, and want to have the physical thing to hold cherish and look at. Jan was so kind as to find me this set, and maybe he can do that genius trick again for you. He has a nose for bargains from the past.

Oh yes, there are lots of people with large collections and CD players, but they (we) are OLD, Harry:) A dying breed.. :P

Most of my colleagues, who are generally younger - in their 30s and 40s - are absolutely shocked when they hear I still have physical recordings!  ???

Que

A recent acquisition, arrived from Prestomusic:

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Quote from: aukhawk on April 14, 2021, 12:35:09 AM
I'd have a hard time listening to the entire Catalogue in one session - about three Oiseaux at at time is about my mark.  And I do like some markedly better than others, L'Alouette Lulu (Wood Lark) and Le Courlis Cendre (Curlew) especially are my favourites, but also Le Loriot (Golden Oriole), Le Merle bleu (Blue Rock Thrush) and Le Chocard des Alpes (Alpine Chough) and so I have multiple recordings of these to listen to. On rhe other hand I usually avoid the rough edges of La Buse Variable (Buzzard) and especially La Chouette Hulotte (The Tawny Owl) "like the cry of a child being murdered".

I also enjoy Messaien's many other birdsong references in his music - several other piano pieces explicitly referencing birds - but also some organ music eg Livre d'Orgue, IV, Chants d'oiseaux, and Messe de la Pentecote, IV, Communion, Les oiseaux et les sources - and orchestral eg Le Reveil des Oiseaux, and Oiseaux Exotiques.  But also non-explicitly-referenced (or 'hidden') birdsong motifs crop up constantly throughout his music in all three of these genres, I can't give examples because I don't make listening notes and just hear this stuff, and then it's gone.  He seemed to especially like the Robin (Le rouge-gorge) and fragments of Robin motif are always cropping up.  We seem to have a bit of a plague of Robins here in the UK at the moment, these territorial little birds are getting a bit overcrowded and increasingly vocal.  At close quarters they are incredibly loud.  The one in my garden will approach to within a foot of me whenever I go out to do a bit of tidying, he's good company as long as he keeps his beak shut.

I have not listened to it in one session, but spread over a day,I felt myself in good company  :)

Traverso

Stravinsky

Le Chant Rossignol  Orchestra National de France  Boulez

Pulcinella   Academy of st Martin in the Fields  Neville Marriner