What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 14, 2021, 05:35:23 AM
Making a brief excursion into Mirror Image's neck of the classical woods: Debussy Preludes played by Samson François

Sarge

I enjoy his recording of the Ravel piano concertos.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Meister der Dresdner Kirchenmusik.

CD IV.

Jan Dismas Zelenka-Te Deum a due Cori.

Johann David Heinichen-Missa No. 9 in D.

Dresdner Kammerchor & Barockorchester, Hans Christoph Rademann.

Although I find the music very good, all in all I have some points that irked me somewhat. The soloists on this CD are not that sophisticated, coming probably from the Dresdner Chor. there is quite some vibrato with the sopranos, and an unpleasant top shriek, and the guys are not that good either. The chor is a bit pushy and too much in the attack mode. Recording is a tad frontal. But the soloists irk me the most. So for me not an unqualified success. But I must admit also that in the case of Heinichen it gets significantly better in performance and sound.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Papy Oli

Sampling some works from the Armin Jordan box.

Olivier

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 14, 2021, 05:35:23 AM
Making a brief excursion into Mirror Image's neck of the classical woods: Debussy Preludes played by Samson François

Sarge

Fantastic, Sarge but I love your holy trinity, too! :P

vandermolen

Benjamin Yusupov (born 1962)
'Nola' Concerto for various Flutes and String Orchestra - a most enjoyable work, which eventually seems to turn into what sounds like an Israeli folk dance. I've had to play it three times in a row. An imaginative two CD set if you fancy something different (also features music by Kancheli, Amirov and Terteryan):

Here is 'Nola' on You Tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoG4sl36wXY
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Sibelius: Symphony No 2 in D major - Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jukka-Pekka Saraste - fair performance  but not as intense as No 1, improves as it goes on with the Finale the best part.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on April 14, 2021, 06:23:40 AM
Sibelius: Symphony No 2 in D major - Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jukka-Pekka Saraste - fair performance  but not as intense as No 1, improves as it goes on with the Finale the best part.
I like Sarasate's recordings with the Finnish RSO.

Now playing (inspired by the Marco Polo thread):
Hilding Rosenberg's beautiful and moving 'Holy Night':

The new erato

A auperb disc that I played a couple of months ago.

Harry

From Neeme Järvi, a Lifetime on Chandos.
CD 5 from 25.

Serge Rachmaninoff.

Symphony No. 3.
Symphonic Dances.

London SO, & Philharmonic Orchestra, Neeme Järvi.

A stunning performance both in interpretation and sound. A real corker this disc. Both well know works, and I have other recordings in the same league, but this one is with the best of them. A real joy to hear.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

North Star

Mahler
Symphony no. 7
The Cleveland Orchestra
Pierre Boulez

Berg
Violin Concerto 'To the memory of an angel'
Gil Shaham
San Francisco SO
Michael Tilson Thomas

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mandryka

This is Messiaen's notes for La Fauvette des Jardins

QuoteAt the beginning of the score Messiaen describes the scene, reflecting the events, as they occur in the score:

Between the cliffs of the Obiou to the South and the spur of Chamechaude to the North lie four lakes: the Matheysine in Dauphiné. At the end of the great Lake Laffrey, at the foot of the mountain of the Grand Serre, to the East, are the fields of Petichet.

The end of June, the beginning of July. It is still night. The last waves of the great lake die down under the willows. The Grand Serre is there, with its patches of trees below its bald summit. Towards four in the morning the Quail is heard in Cretic rhythm. The Nightingale ends a verse: distant notes under the moon, an abruptly loud and victorious conclusion, long warbling until it is out of breath. The ash-trees look down on the reeds of the great lake. In the middle of the meadow the grey alders stand by the hazels.

Then dawn covers the sky, the fields, the meadow with pink. The great lake also turns pink. The song of the Garden Warbler, hidden in the ash-trees, the willows, the bushes by the great lake. Two first attempts, then a solo. The little Wren throws out some rapid, loud notes, with a trill in the middle of the verse. The Garden Warbler sings again, her voice limpid, always with new features.

Five o'clock in the morning. The arrival of the day turns the alder foliage silver, brings to life the scent of mauve mint and green grass. A Blackbird whistles. The Green Woodpecker laughs aloud. From the other side of the bank, near Lake Petichet, a Sky Lark rises up in the air, rejoicing with a piercing dominant. The Garden Warbler starts a new solo: its rapid vocalises, its tireless virtuosity, the regular flow of its discourse, seem to bring time to a halt...

Meanwhile, the morning grows on, and here is the threat of a storm. The great Lake Laffrey is divided into green and violet stripes. Two Chaffinches answer each other, with variations in their codetta. Suddenly a rasping, grating, sour voice rises in the reeds of the great lake, alternating heavy rhythms with shrill cries: it is the Great Reed Warbler. But the sun has returned, and there is another voice, unexpected, wonderfully gilded, rich in harmonics: it is a migratory Golden Oriole, coming to eat some cherries. The Garden Warbler continues its solos, interrupted now and again by the hoarse croaking of the Crows, the hard, dry alarms of the Red-Backed Shrike, the quivering cries of the Black Kite. The Grand Serre stands, with its great mass, against the elegant rise of the Swallows. In contrast to the unmoving bare mountain are the ripples in the water. The Garden Warbler sings and sings again, untiring. A new contrast: the flight of the Black Kite and the sudden calm of the great lake. The Kite climbs and descends, describing great spirals in the sky, and the circles of its flight interlock (the turns of its tail helping the movement of its wings), until it finally touches the surface of the water. The sun spreads light and warmth. These are the most beautiful hours of the afternoon, and the great lake extends its blue surface, with all shades of blue: peacock blue, azure, sapphire. The silence is only broken by the Chaffinches, the ringing sound of the Goldfinch, and the simple repeated note of the Yellowhammer. The heights of the mountain are green and gold...

Towards evening the Garden Warbler starts a solo again. The Blackcap, less of a virtuoso, has a more brilliant refrain, fluting and liquid in tone. After this refrain the voice of the Nightingale rises, announcing sunset. The sky turns red, orange, violet. The Crow and the Red-Backed Shrike give the alarm. The Green Woodpecker gives a last laugh. Night comes...

Nine o'clock in the evening. In the growing silence the double cry of the Tawny Owl is heard, wild and terrifying. The great lake is now feebly lit by the light of the moon. The silhouettes of the alders are quite black. Everything sinks into the great shadow of memory.

And the Grand Serre is always there, above the night...

And Austbo, here

divides it up into thee tracks, each one corresponding to about a third of the above text. So, for example, we don't just have piano imitating birds, but also, for example, suggesting the movement of the water . . . It is episodic programme music.

That's the way to make sense of these oiseaux pieces, I'm convinced of it. They are impressionist pieces, oriented around the scenes Messiaen wrote in the score.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Sergeant Rock

Rachmaninoff Symphony No. 1 in D minor, Rozhdestvensky conducting

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

This entire recording:

Really wonderful, but in all honesty, I prefer a more varied vocalist recital, but this is well done overall. Rebecca Evans does appear in the Four Last Songs and sings it beautifully. Roger Vignoles is a remarkable accompanist.

Traverso

Penderecki

Violin Concerto (1976)  recording 1993
Cello Concerto No.2 (1982)

This the same violin concerto as on the Thorofon Capella recording (1987) ,other Orchestra but same solist and conductor

Papy Oli

Carl Reinecke - String quartets No.3 & 5

Olivier

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2021, 06:06:20 AM
Benjamin Yusupov (born 1962)
'Nola' Concerto for various Flutes and String Orchestra - a most enjoyable work, which eventually seems to turn into what sounds like an Israeli folk dance. I've had to play it three times in a row. An imaginative two CD set if you fancy something different (also features music by Kancheli, Amirov and Terteryan):

Here is 'Nola' on You Tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoG4sl36wXY
Great tip, own the CD for years but never played this piece. Many thanks!
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Walton Henry V
I much prefer this cover to the later CD release.
Also this was the first recording of Malcolm Sargent's arrangement of the film music, which I prefer to the later and more familiar Muir Mathieson version as it includes the opening 'Globe' sequence at the start, where, in the film, the camera pans in on Elizabethan London which, in its wartime context, I find very moving:

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on April 14, 2021, 07:52:07 AM
Great tip, own the CD for years but never played this piece. Many thanks!
Go for it Johan!  :)

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2021, 06:33:46 AM

Now playing (inspired by the Marco Polo thread):

Hilding Rosenberg's beautiful and moving 'Holy Night':

Wonderful music that. I also like the Larsson. A great CD. 

Sergeant Rock

Rachmaninoff Symphony No. 3 in A minor, Rozhdestvensky conducting

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"