What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 14, 2021, 07:29:00 AM
Rachmaninoff Symphony No. 1 in D minor, Rozhdestvensky conducting
Sarge

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 14, 2021, 08:13:40 AM
Rachmaninoff Symphony No. 3 in A minor, Rozhdestvensky conducting
Sarge

Posting in the "Worst Second" thread next, Sarge ?  ;D
Olivier

Que

Disc 6 is part of Program Five, "Your Most Serene Highness!", six Sonatas dedicated to Prince Nicolaus Esterházy, published 1774, which has as projected location the Ceremonial Room in Esterháza.
Tom Beghin plays a double manual harpsichord in French style, c. 1770.

Q

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 14, 2021, 08:06:29 AM
Wonderful music that. I also like the Larsson. A great CD.
Me too Fergus. I like both works very much. My Swedish in-laws tell me that the Rosenberg is a staple of Christmas in Sweden.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Olivier

vandermolen

Traverso

Debussy

La boîte à joujoux

petite suite

Ravel

Pavane pour une infante Défunte
Valses nobles et sentimentales
Alborado dei gracioso

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on April 14, 2021, 07:27:34 AM
This is Messiaen's notes for La Fauvette des Jardins

And Austbo, here

divides it up into thee tracks, each one corresponding to about a third of the above text. So, for example, we don't just have piano imitating birds, but also, for example, suggesting the movement of the water . . . It is episodic programme music.

That's the way to make sense of these oiseaux pieces, I'm convinced of it. They are impressionist pieces, oriented around the scenes Messiaen wrote in the score.

It is clear that there is a connection here with not only the birds with their own characteristics but also the passing of the day that testifies to a connection with creation, a living nature from which so many are cut off, very nice to read this.

steve ridgway

Penderecki - Capriccio For Violin And Orchestra.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2021, 06:06:20 AM
Benjamin Yusupov (born 1962)
'Nola' Concerto for various Flutes and String Orchestra - a most enjoyable work, which eventually seems to turn into what sounds like an Israeli folk dance. I've had to play it three times in a row. An imaginative two CD set if you fancy something different (also features music by Kancheli, Amirov and Terteryan):

Here is 'Nola' on You Tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoG4sl36wXY

Love the entire set!

Mirror Image

NP:

Strauss
Don Quixote, Op. 35
Paul Tortelier, cello
Staatskapelle Dresden
Kempe

From this set:

Fritz Kobus

Always felt that Gardiner's Eroica is excellent.  Now I have a chance to listen to the whole cycle as this was gifted to me by a member of another music forum who got a bigger Gardiner Beethoven set which made this set superfluous to them.  Wonderful.  One of the best Eroicas out there.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 14, 2021, 03:43:51 AM
Prokoviev Classical Symphony, Giulini conducting the Chicago

Sarge

Sweet!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Stravinsky
Disc 19: Oratorio—Melodrama Vol. 2

Perséphone
Ode
Monumentum pro Gesualdo di Venosa ad CD annum

Neither the Ode nor the Monumentum fits the Volume's designation, as they are both instrumental.  I listened to a lot of Stravinsky beginning in my undergrad years, but Perséphone was the last substantial work upon which I turned attention.  I love it.

Stravinsky was so frequently, so reliably creative and inventive, it seems unfair to thrash him for those rare occasions he 'phoned it in,' but anything he says in the Ode, he said more substantively elsewhere.  Eric Walter White observes: Dedicated to the memory of Natalie Koussevitzky [...] When Natalie died, her husband set up a Foundation to commission new works in her memory. In 1943 Stravinsky received one of these commissions and decided to erite a tripytych for orchestra. At that time, the Eclogue (the second piece in the triptych) was already in existence, as it had been composed for an abortive film project (Orson Welles's Jane Eyre)

The performance here by the Clevelanders is certainly excellent.

For me, the Monumentum is one of the peaks of his neoclassical output.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 14, 2021, 11:45:19 AM
Stravinsky
Disc 19: Oratorio—Melodrama Vol. 2

Perséphone
Ode
Monumentum pro Gesualdo di Venosa ad CD annum

Neither the Ode nor the Monumentum fits the Volume's designation, as they are both instrumental.  I listened to a lot of Stravinsky beginning in my undergrad years, but Perséphone was the last substantial work upon which I turned attention.  I love it.

Stravinsky was so frequently, so reliably creative and inventive, it seems unfair to thrash him for those rare occasions he 'phoned it in,' but anything he says in the Ode, he said more substantively elsewhere.  Eric Walter White observes: Dedicated to the memory of Natalie Koussevitzky [...] When Natalie died, her husband set up a Foundation to commission new works in her memory. In 1943 Stravinsky received one of these commissions and decided to erite a tripytych for orchestra. At that time, the Eclogue (the second piece in the triptych) was already in existence, as it had been composed for an abortive film project (Orson Welles's Jane Eyre)

The performance here by the Clevelanders is certainly excellent.

For me, the Monumentum is one of the peaks of his neoclassical output.

8)

Traverso

Stravinsky

CD 19

Well,it seems a good idea to listen to Momentum pro Gesualdo di Venosa

André

Cello concerto no 2 and symphony in E (1944). Mossolov is not extensively recorded, except for the short Iron Foundry and a few piano works. A student of Myaskovsky and Glière, Mossolov's style changed radically in the early 1930s, perhaps for fear of political persecution - to no avail: he was excluded from the powerful Composers Union in 1936. He spent some time in the central asian republics of the USSR, studying and collecting folk songs.

In these wartime works what is most striking is the strong lyrical vein that courses through from the initial thematic strains to the very end. The style of Myaskovsky is definitely in filigree throughout. Also, the use of folk tunes brings him sometimes close to Tchaikovsky (Eugene Onegin) and Prokofiev (the Young Juliet theme from R&J makes a surprising choice for the coda of the symphony, where the rythm is changed to that of a deliberate march). Surprisingly tuneful, big-hearted stuff then, completely different from the futuristic/motoric style of Iron Foundry.

Performances and sound seem adequate but I can't muster more enthusiasm. The percussion in particular sounds anaemic (timpani, bass drum, celesta, triangle, harp, etc) and the soundstage lacks a precise spatial image. I can't help thinking Chandos would have given us something much more solid and colourful. Some major label should take up the challenge and give us the other concertos and symphonies.

André

CD 5 from this box set:

Suitable for listening in the car.

Mirror Image

NP:

Strauss
Ein Heldenleben, Op. 40
Staatskapelle Dresden
Sinopoli