What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 14, 2021, 04:43:56 PM
Apt, I think, Jan, as Stravinsky undertook this project after his acquaintance with Webern's work.

And, now:

Stravinsky
Disc 18: Oratorio—Melodrama Vol. 1

Œdipus Rex

The Flood
(conducted by Rpbt Craft in the composer's presence, Hollywood, 28-31 Mar 1962)

If you ever get the chance, do see the film Stravinsky in Hollywood. It touches on his later period with some insightful commentary.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 14, 2021, 04:54:33 PM
If you ever get the chance, do see the film Stravinsky in Hollywood. It touches on his later period with some insightful commentary.

It's in my library, John. Twice now, as it's part of this set  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 14, 2021, 04:43:56 PM
Stravinsky
Disc 18: Oratorio—Melodrama Vol. 1

Œdipus Rex

The Flood
(conducted by Robt Craft in the composer's presence, Hollywood, 28-31 Mar 1962)

It's curious.  Whenever my ear hankers for Stravinsky, I never think of The Flood, but whenever I listen to it, I'm enraptured.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Daverz

Kinsella: Cello Concerto No. 1

A fine work that seems very well played here.

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 14, 2021, 05:07:09 PM
It's in my library, John. Twice now, as it's part of this set  8)

Ah yes, the Stravinsky set is where mine came from. 8) Good to hear you watched the documentary already. Have you seen the Tony Palmer film, Once at a Border? I should revisit this one as it's been years since I've seen it.

Mirror Image

Two works of great contrasts:

Strauss
Vier letzte Lieder
Cheryl Studer, soprano
Staatskapelle Dresden
Sinopoli

Berg
Der Wein
Deborah Voigt, soprano
Staatskapelle Dresden
Sinopoli

Mirror Image

One last work for the night:

Prokofiev
Scythian Suite, Op. 20
Scottish National Orch.
Järvi

Que

Morning listening:

After the court of Philips II yesterday, this time the court of his father: Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor.

Motets and songs by Franco-Flemish composers Cornelius Canis and Nicolas Payen.

Harry

Good morning Que.

Music from the eighteenth century Prague.
Christmas in the Prague Cathedral.

Josef Antonin Sehling.
Vocal Works.

Johann Joseph Fux.
Sonate pastorale a tre

Collegium Marianum, Jana Semeradova.

This CD is a magnificent surprise. I loved the works, and above the performance. Good soloists, and ditto orchestra. Well recorded too. Sehling was a composer I did not know, but his music is very special. A fine musical opening of the Thursday morning.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Lydia Mordkovitch Tribute-1944-2014.

Arthur Bliss.
Violin Concerto.

John Veale.
Violin Concerto.

BBC National Orchestra of Wales, & BBC Symphony Orchestra, Richard Hickox.
Lydia Mordkovitch, Violin.

I can only repeat my admiration for Lydia Mordkovitch. She is a marvelous performer, and imbues the music with a very special magic, helped by two fine orchestras and the late Richard Hickox. He is a sensitive conductor.
I love both Violin concertos, so much so, that I could play them every day without getting bored for a second.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 14, 2021, 08:53:16 PM
One last work for the night:

Prokofiev
Scythian Suite, Op. 20
Scottish National Orch.
Järvi

Great choice!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on April 15, 2021, 12:24:51 AM
Lydia Mordkovitch Tribute-1944-2014.

Arthur Bliss.
Violin Concerto.

John Veale.
Violin Concerto.

BBC National Orchestra of Wales, & BBC Symphony Orchestra, Richard Hickox.
Lydia Mordkovitch, Violin.

I can only repeat my admiration for Lydia Mordkovitch. She is a marvelous performer, and imbues the music with a very special magic, helped by two fine orchestras and the late Richard Hickox. He is a sensitive conductor.
I love both Violin concertos, so much so, that I could play them every day without getting bored for a second.
+1 in all respects
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

amw

Eduard Erdmann - Schubert - D894

Erdmann takes the last movement at a clip of half note = 126, which is well out of bounds for an Allegretto in 1825. It's completely wrong and yet it works somehow, in a way that most slower performances don't. For all his pianistic faults and abandonment of any kind of lyricism, Erdmann always makes the music flow, and in ways that feel so natural that almost every other Schubert interpreter seems halting and disjointed. (András Schiff can also do this, and of course Schnabel, though it isn't his priority.)

Lili Kraus - Schubert - D960

Almost the opposite; very little flow at all. Disjointed. Hard to tell whether it's intentional or not; she seems to have still had the technique to play the sonata, but then she takes these extreme dynamic contrasts that sound completely out of control. I don't know what I think of it.

Mandryka

Quote from: amw on April 15, 2021, 12:52:24 AM

Eduard Erdmann - Schubert - D894

Erdmann takes the last movement at a clip of half note = 126, which is well out of bounds for an Allegretto in 1825. It's completely wrong and yet it works somehow, in a way that most slower performances don't. For all his pianistic faults and abandonment of any kind of lyricism, Erdmann always makes the music flow, and in ways that feel so natural that almost every other Schubert interpreter seems halting and disjointed. (András Schiff can also do this, and of course Schnabel, though it isn't his priority.)

He reminds me of Cortot in Debussy. Like everyone else plays the music in some sort of dream world, Erdmann's lively, jazzy, tense, the musical opposite of sweet (≠sour! tough maybe. We used to use the word urban!)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on April 14, 2021, 10:58:09 PM
Good morning Que.

Music from the eighteenth century Prague.
Christmas in the Prague Cathedral.

Josef Antonin Sehling.
Vocal Works.

Johann Joseph Fux.
Sonate pastorale a tre

Collegium Marianum, Jana Semeradova.

This CD is a magnificent surprise. I loved the works, and above the performance. Good soloists, and ditto orchestra. Well recorded too. Sehling was a composer I did not know, but his music is very special. A fine musical opening of the Thursday morning.

Good morning!  :)

My hope is that Supraphon will follow jpc's example and issue its own box set.

Harry

Quote from: Que on April 15, 2021, 01:33:31 AM
Good morning!  :)

My hope is that Supraphon will follow jpc's example and issue its own box set.

In this series they recorded 12 CD'S, in the JPC set there are 10, so who knows, maybe they release their own set. All the individual CD'S are full price though.

aukhawk

Quote from: André on April 14, 2021, 03:44:28 PM

I had no idea it was an actual place... ::)

;D Due East of Limoges and (a long way) due South of Orleans - for most of the year it's a place for people who value peace and quiet, over and above superficial things such as grand scenery, fine weather, somewhere to eat and drink ...
To be honest I'd say that the music of Sibelius would be a better fit than that of Messiaen - but if I had to choose a piece by Messiaen it would be one of his more devotional pieces such as the first of his Vingt Regards - that would suit Lac Laffrey nicely.  I'll listen to both that and Fauvette des Jardins shortly, and probably follow them with Swan of Tuonela   ;)

Florestan

Quote from: aukhawk on April 15, 2021, 01:40:16 AM
;D Due East of Limoges and (a long way) due South of Orleans - for most of the year it's a place for people who value peace and quiet, over and above superficial things such as grand scenery, fine weather, somewhere to eat and drink ...

Not exactly wrong geographically, but you might as well say Nice is east of Limoges and a long way south of Orleans! Lake Laffrey is actually a short way south of Grenoble. I've been there, it's a great place.  :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

aligreto

It has been a long time since I have listened to the music of Mozart. Pondering what would be my re-entry into this sound world it was a toss up between the Clarinet Quintet, the Clarinet Concerto and Symphony No. 40. The latter was chosen simply because of the fact that I have a longer association with that work. The next question was who would I listen to in that work. Three great Mozartians, to my mind anyway, sprung immediately to the fore namely Hogwood, Mackerras and Tate. Yes there are many more on my shelves but this was my initial gut reaction and I tend to be a visceral kind of guy. This thought process took about five seconds to complete. So here is another solid recommendation for the Tate cycle.

Mozart: Symphony No. 40 [Tate]

This version is terrifically full blooded with wonderful woodwinds. It is, however, powerful without being aggressive. It has a great presence. It is also graceful and elegant.