What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas, Madiel and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Harry

French Music for the Stage.

Auber/Boieldieu/Delibes/Massenet/Thomas.

Estonian National SO, Neeme Jarvi.

Absolutely gorgeous. One of my best buys 2021.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Biffo

Sibelius: Belshazzar's Feast Op 51; King Christian II Suite Op 27 - Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jukka-Pekka Saraste

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

amw

Adès Beethoven 9.

It's pretty good. Does it stand out in a crowded field of HIP-influenced recordings? Not sure. It's not Herreweghe/Champs-Elysées, but I guess there can only be one Herreweghe/Champs-Elysées. It's very close to Krivine/Chambre Philharmonique, except obviously on modern instruments: an interpretation that sounds like Le Sacre du Printemps. Sharp accents, overdone contrasts, in-your-face soundstage, crisp rhythms, pounding ostinati. How many of those do we need?

Meh, I'm probably overthinking things. It's fun and loud and bombastic and potentially migraine-inducing; what else can one ask for from a Beethoven 9?

Mandryka

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 15, 2021, 02:32:55 AM
Gorgeous. You and Ludwig van make good partners.

Sarge

It's like Brahms. Turning Beethoven's piano music into choral music produces something Brahmsian.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Artem

Second disk from this set with oboe and piano pieces.

Harry

New acquisition first listen. Bought all 6 volumes, last week,

Vincent d'Indy.
Orchestral Works, Volume I.

Jour d'été a la Montagne.
La Foret Enchantée.
Souvenirs.

Iceland SO, Rumon Gamba.

I totally missed this series on Chandos, but I made immediate amends. And starting listening on Volume I, there was every reason to buy them all. d'Indy is a fantastic composer, perfectly performed and recorded. I am quite happy with it. The sound world d'Indy creates is very akin to mine.

Que

Disc 7 is the 2nd part of Program Five, "Your Most Serene Highness!", six Sonatas dedicated to Prince Nicolaus Esterházy, published 1774, which has as projected location the Ceremonial Room in Esterháza.
Tom Beghin plays a double manual harpsichord in French style, c. 1770.

Q

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on April 15, 2021, 02:07:26 AM
It has been a long time since I have listened to the music of Mozart. Pondering what would be my re-entry into this sound world it was a toss up between the Clarinet Quintet, the Clarinet Concerto and Symphony No. 40. The latter was chosen simply because of the fact that I have a longer association with that work. The next question was who would I listen to in that work. Three great Mozartians, to my mind anyway, sprung immediately to the fore namely Hogwood, Mackerras and Tate. Yes there are many more on my shelves but this was my initial gut reaction and I tend to be a visceral kind of guy. This thought process took about five seconds to complete. So here is another solid recommendation for the Tate cycle.

Mozart: Symphony No. 40 [Tate]

This version is terrifically full blooded with wonderful woodwinds. It is, however, powerful without being aggressive. It has a great presence. It is also graceful and elegant.

I fully agree with you Fergus   :)

Traverso

Bartók

Contrasts for violin,clarinet and piano

Skalkottas
Octet
Eight variations on a Greek Folk Theme

Khachaturian
trio fot clarinet,violin and piano

Prokofiev
Overture on Hebrew Themes

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on April 15, 2021, 04:13:54 AM

I fully agree with you Fergus   :)

Cheers Jan. Here is another one that I like:

Mozart: Symphony No. 40 [Mackerras]

The Mackerras version is also a robust version and the Prague Chamber has a wonderful voice. The presentation is very full sounding throughout. With the exception of the slow movement Mackerras takes the tempo quite quickly but not aggressively so. I like the somewhat warm sound of this one.

Stürmisch Bewegt

The Stürmisch Schubertiade continues this AM with AFAIC one of Franz's Greatest Hits:  his Impromptus.  Some of these have gone on to have illustrious careers in the cinema.  Among 'em, citing just two of my all-time favorites films:  Impromptu #2 in Patrice Leconte's L'homme du train which Jean Rochefort plays more than once on his grand piano.  And Impromptus Nos. 1 and 3 appear in Michael Haneke's Amour.

Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Harry

Joseph Lauber.

Symphony No `1 & 2.

Sinfonie Orchester Biel-Solothurn, Kaspar Zehnder.

A discovery of a new composer is always adventure, and in this case its a major discovery for me. He is such a creative guy, blending all styles and influences together in a unique context. I have by now played it several times and it gets better every time. The performance is certainly very good, and a direct and alert recording tops it all.

Artem

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Papy Oli

Trying some Dutilleux - Symphony No.1

Olivier

pjme

A wonderfull voice: Margaret Marshall in Vivaldi!

Florestan

Quote from: pjme on April 15, 2021, 05:32:33 AM

A wonderfull voice: Margaret Marshall in Vivaldi!

That whole 10-CD series is a treasure trove.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot