What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry, Que (+ 1 Hidden) and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Que

Morning listening:

Quote from: "Harry" on April 16, 2021, 08:03:01 AM
A fine recording that is!

[Re: Epoca Barocca/Platti]

It is. Somehow I ended up with a sizeable Platti collection!  :)

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 16, 2021, 06:54:02 AM
Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.4
Sir Anthony Pappano/LSO
Turned up today.
Sounds like a very fine performance, although I find the Barbican acoustic rather dry and prefer something more cavernous as in Bryden Thomson's or Paavo Berglund's recordings:

PS The performance of the 6th Symphony (recorded on the day before the first lock-down) is the greater performance IMO but maybe that's because I much prefer the 6th Symphony to the 4th, which has lost some of its appeal to me.

Not the most imaginative programming, Jeffrey. The 4th and 6th don't sit well together.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 16, 2021, 11:44:37 AM
Leclair, Jean-Marie (1697-1764) - Sonatas & Overtures, Op. 4 & 13 w/ the Purcell Quartet - although I own about a half dozen Leclair recordings, these Op. works are not in my collection - just excellent performances - reviews are attached for those interested; these were part of a newly arrived BRO order, which have two other CDs from this composer - next up!   Dave :)

Nice looking Leclair, like to explore some more myself.  :)

Oh, ordering at BRO! Now, those were the days.... ::)

When I get to chance some time AC to visit my inlaws in the USA again, I might just pop in an order at BRO
Just for old times sake... though it's a hoarders paradise!  :D

amw

Quote from: Madiel on April 16, 2021, 06:09:16 PM
Requoting because your pm box is full..

I wanted to check, when you mentioned Elizabeth Leonskaja, were you thinking of her relatively recent recordings (EaSonus label), or her earlier ones (Teldec label)?

Thanks again for your other suggestions, I've decided I want to properly check out Badura-Skoda's RCA set, and Dalberto, and also Zacharias who does all the sonatas I'm most interested in.
I was thinking of the eaSonus recordings (is it really a 21st century classical microlabel if it doesn't have nonstandard orthography?) which I have. I'm not very fond of them, but they are representative of a particular style of playing, which you may like more than I do. The set is also fairly complete, leaving out only D571 and the extra movements of D566 and D840, and the recording quality is excellent, although very closely miked. I do not know the contents of her Teldec recordings and they may well be better in terms of piano technique, but with the Leonskaja/Richter/Korstick stylistic approach, technique isn't really the main factor.

Zacharias is somewhat similar to Uchida in approach, but for whatever reason his recordings work for me whereas hers don't. I've never sat down and tried to quantify exactly why, but if you do end up checking them out, I expect I'd find your thoughts enlightening.

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on April 16, 2021, 02:34:48 PM
Wonderful performance that. I hope that you enjoyed it Jan. Kempe is one of my top three favourite interpreters of Strauss' music.

I'm not a big Solti fan, but he also made some great Strauss recordings.  :)

Traverso

Que

.[asin]B012UOD7E4[/asin]
Violin concertos vol. V with Igor Ruhadze and the Ensemble Violini Capricciosi.

Que

More from the 12CD boxset "The Spanish Guitar":

http://www.glossamusic.com/glossa/reference.aspx?id=164

Note that the scope of this collection is wider than the title suggests: no just the guitar, but also the vihuela, and not just solo repertoire but several discs with songs.

Although the focus is mainly on Spanish Baroque, there is a Renaissance recording and two recordings with later repertoire. I saved those for last and this is one of them: and a superb one!  :)

aligreto

JS Bach: Suite No. 2 for Solo Cello [Wispelwey]

aligreto

Quote from: philoctetes on April 16, 2021, 09:52:31 PM
Going to try and make my way through this over my extended weekend, but I may give out, as I've not found Strauss to be the most alluring or exciting composer to my taste, but I am willing to give it the old college try.

If anybody is boing to do it for you then I feel that you are in good hands anyway with that set.

Carlo Gesualdo

Good Morning exploring, A SECRET LABYRINTH box-set of 15 CD's, Codex Las Huelgas Music from 13th Century Spain CD 1, because it's marvelous and did not listen to some albums enough out of this box, hail Huelgas Ensemble.

There box-set The magic of polyphony also is something to listen, very great work done here by Paul Van Nevel.

Perhaps I will put out an LP of Johannes Tinctoris on NON-SUCH, since QUE inspired me whit his release of Tinctoris on ensemble Le mirroir de la musique & great director Batiste Romain.

:)

Have a nice days fellas!

Traverso

Messiaen

Catalogue d'Oiseaux  livre 1-3

Peter Hill

Biffo

Mozart: Piano Concerto No 18 in B flat major, K 456 - Daniel Barenboim conductor & soloist with the English Chamber Orchestra

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on April 16, 2021, 12:25:37 PM
To the ears of a Spaniard (fluent in French) like me, and I presume to anyone with a Romance language as mother tongue, oiseau definitely starts with a vowel.

As a Romanian fluent in French, I concur. Moreover, to my ears even the English "w" is a vowel, transliterated in Romanian as "u". The German "w" is indeed a genuine consonant, transliterated in Romanian as "v".

QuoteWe Spaniards would transliterate it as "uasó" (even if the "soft s" sound does not exist in Spanish).

Romanian transliteration: uazó.

Now, if you want a genuine consonant, then take p, because bird in Romanian is pasăre (closely related to the Spanish pajaro).

Catalogue des oiseaux in Romanian is Catalogul păsărilor which can mean two things: (1) birds' catalogue (implying the birds own the catalogue --- absurdity), or (2) birds catalogue, implying a catalogue listing all birds --- as in French, a qualifier is needed, for instance: Catalogul păsărilor răpitoare din Carpați / Catalogue of Preying Birds of the Carpathian Mountains.

Catalogue d'oiseaux is Catalog de păsări (notice the difference between catalogul, ie the catalogue and catalog, ie catalogue) which means a catalogue listing an unspecified but nevertheless limited number of birds.

Hope this helps a bit to put French in the context of other Romance languages.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Quote from: André on April 16, 2021, 01:29:10 PM
French has evolved from two very different language groups, with a clear 'border' separating them. Because of France's early political grouping of provinces and regions the language has combined the two in what is now modern French. Even today, some pronunciations are still clearly dictated by geography - hence the instantly recognizable provençal accent. Here is a map that shows the original language groups. There are two main ones: the langues d'oc (shades of green) in the South and the langues d'oïl (shades of blue) in the North.

To this very day, there's a region in France called Languedoc-Roussillon, capital city Montpellier. Very beautiful, worth a visit (both region and city, that is).

Langue d'oc  is actually what the troubadours spoke and sung.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Que

And last, but least, the 2nd part of the original issue of "The Spanish Guitar" that gave the boxset its name:

Madiel

Schubert, Endres, D.575 in B major

EDIT: Loving the 1st movement.

SECOND EDIT: In fact very happy with the performance as a whole.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

Varese: Tuning Up [Chailly]

I have read the story behind this work, which in itself is interesting, but I actually really like the work a lot. I find it quite powerful, exciting and compelling and it has a great presence.

aligreto

Quote from: Florestan on April 17, 2021, 05:03:04 AM
To this very day, there's a region in France called Languedoc-Roussillon, capital city Montpellier. Very beautiful, worth a visit (both region and city, that is).

Langue d'oc  is actually what the troubadours spoke and sung.

Those two regions of Roussillon and Languedoc also produce some tasty wine. Just saying  ;)  ;D

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on April 17, 2021, 12:33:02 AM
I'm not a big Solti fan, but he also made some great Strauss recordings.  :)

Indeed, Jan, I do agree.