What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 19, 2021, 12:26:04 PM

Very cool, although I'm not that taken with those performances in the Challenge Classics set --- the Wergo set (also a multi-conductor set) is much more alive and exciting to these ears. You definitely should get your hands on this set:

YES!  AMEN!!!   Even though the performances are 50 + years old, "more alive and exciting" is right!

Quote from: North Star on April 19, 2021, 12:10:26 PM

Surprised you didn't already have every Hartmann album there is, Cato. ;)

I should see Twin Peaks, my parents weren't fans and somehow I've not seen it myself yet.

I must have missed this World Premiere Recording in 2002!!!  Oy!  Better late than never!

Twin Peaks was a big hit in its first year, but began to lose its audience as Lynch's penchant for weirdness passed the general public's threshold.  However, I recommend giving it a try!   ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

aligreto

Miaskovsky: Symphony No. 2 [Svetlanov]

I am really appreciating and enjoying this music. I like the musical language, the orchestration and the harmonic structure. The first movement was wonderful, powerful and emotional. The second movement is wonderfully calm and serene. The melodic writing and harmonies are terrific. The scoring is particularly effective with its rich and delicate tapestry. I really like the slow, dramatic and tension-filled build up to the conclusion of the work.

Symphonic Addict

The Symphony is very nice despite being an early piece.
Psalm 116 is also worth listening.
Das Weib des Intaphernes with the narrator was a bore.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

Quote from: North Star on April 19, 2021, 11:13:20 AM
More Maiden-Listen Monday Madness

Hartmann

Wachsfigurenkabinett
, five short operas (1929–30), libretti by Erich Bormann

Das Leben und Sterben des heiligen Teufels
Der Mann, der vom Tode auferstand
(unfinished; completed by Günter Bialas and Hans Werner Henze)
Chaplin-Ford-Trott, 'scenic jazz cantata' (unfinished; completed by Wilfried Hiller)
Fürwahr? (unfinished; completed by Henze)
Die Witwe von Ephesus

Claudia Barainsky (soprano), Michelle Breedt (mezzo), Thomas Harper (tenor), Michael Kraus (baritone), Egbert Junghanns (baritone) et al.
Members of DSO Berlin
Roger Epple

I, too, must get this !     :o

I know the silent film of the same name by Paul Leni with the same plot gimmick - except that the characters are different: Caliph Haroun-Al-Rashid, Tsar Ivan the Terrible and Jack the Ripper. They were portrayed by the most famous german actors of the time. I see that Hartmann's work includes the story of the Widow of Ephesus. This bit is my favourite in Fellini's film Satyricon.  :)

Classicstoday gives this disc a 10/10 rating !

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on April 19, 2021, 12:34:38 PM
Strauss just copied Reznicek.

And yet Strauss is remembered and Reznicek is not. You're a part of the same group of people who claim that Schoenberg stole the 12-tone concept from Josef Matthias Hauer, which is completely untrue as Schoenberg developed his own method of 12-tone technique.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 19, 2021, 01:16:29 PM
And yet Strauss is remembered and Reznicek is not. You're a part of the same group of people who claim that Schoenberg stole the 12-tone concept from Josef Matthias Hauer, which is completely untrue as Schoenberg developed his own method of 12-tone technique.
LOL, pretty sure he was joking, and I just searched the forum and he has never said anything about Hauer.

Brian

Quote from: Brian on April 19, 2021, 11:48:35 AM

First listens to almost all of Respighi's piano works here, although of course I know the Ancient Airs in their orchestral garb.
Gosh this is good!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on April 19, 2021, 01:18:08 PM
LOL, pretty sure he was joking, and I just searched the forum and he has never said anything about Hauer.

An emoticon works wonders on the net. ;)

Mirror Image

New Arrival...

NP:

Strauss
Salome, Op. 54
Cheryl Studer, Bryn Terfel et. al.
Orchestra of the Deutsche Oper Berlin

Mirror Image

My apologies to Daverz for my jerk remark as I didn't know you were joking, but to Philo I'm never sorry. Mother Nature won't allow it! :D

vandermolen

Walton's 'Jubilate Deo', for about the tenth time this evening!  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Boulanger: Psaumes 24 & 129 and Vieille prière bouddhique

Extraordinary works played with exemplary commitment. The Psaume 129 was particularly impressive, dramatic, imposing, yet it ends in the most moving way. Loved it. Vieille prière bouddhique is not far behind in greatness. A truly amazing work. I felt real profundity in these pieces. I didn't expect such astounding music!

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on April 19, 2021, 12:42:39 PM
YES!  AMEN!!!   Even though the performances are 50 + years old, "more alive and exciting" is right!

I must have missed this World Premiere Recording in 2002!!!  Oy!  Better late than never!

A big thumbs up, but also for Karlo listening to that Wergo recording. You need that recording in your collection, Cato. Speaking of Hartmann, I need to revisit this opera:

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 19, 2021, 10:27:15 AM
Maiden-Listen Monday:

Hovhaness
Symphony № 25, Op. 275 « Odysseus »
Polyphonia Orchestra
The composer conducting

The solo trumpet writing in Part Two, esp. is beautiful, and already some of my favorite Hovhaness.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Finishing tonight's listening with some more jazz-influenced music from interwar Central Europe

Schulhoff
Concerto for string quartet and winds (1930)
Suite for chamber orchestra (1921)
Orinoco (caroica-fox) (1934)
Susi (1937)
Symphonia germania (1919)
Bassnachtigall, drei vortragsstücke für kontra-fagot (1922)
Ebony Band Amsterdam
Werner Herbers

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Hovhaness
Symphony № 6, Op. 173 « Celestial Gate »
Prayer of St Gregory
Polyphonia Orchestra of London
Jn Wilbraham, tp
The composer conducting
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bhodges

From the Seattle Symphony, this repeat of a livestream from last Thursday. So far, the Shostakovich is sensational. Available to watch through April 22.

Shostakovich: Chamber Symphony
Respighi: The Birds

https://www.seattlesymphony.org/watch-listen/beyondthestage/program-notes-shoskakovich-respighi

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on April 19, 2021, 03:06:24 PM
Finishing tonight's listening with some more jazz-influenced music from interwar Central Europe

Schulhoff
Concerto for string quartet and winds (1930)
Suite for chamber orchestra (1921)
Orinoco (caroica-fox) (1934)
Susi (1937)
Symphonia germania (1919)
Bassnachtigall, drei vortragsstücke für kontra-fagot (1922)
Ebony Band Amsterdam
Werner Herbers

Fun!

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 19, 2021, 02:07:44 PM
A big thumbs up, but also for Karlo listening to that Wergo recording. You didn't need that recording in your collection, Cato. Speaking of Hartmann, I need to revisit this opera:

Yes, highly recommended!

When I was teaching A.P. European History, and A.P. German IV, in the Catholic, all-boys high school in Toledo, this opera showed up in the curriculum: response was usually very positive! 
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on April 19, 2021, 04:05:29 PM
Yes, highly recommended!

When I was teaching A.P. European History, and A.P. German IV, in the Catholic, all-boys high school in Toledo, this opera showed up in the curriculum: response was usually very positive!

8)