What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

An unusually cold morning here (35°F)...

NP:

Respighi
Trittico Botticelliano
Liège Philharmonic Orchestra
Neschling

not edward

Been relistening to some of the BIS Skalkottas recordings of late. Today it's the first of them:

[asin]B0000268PO[/asin]

Big, beefy serial stuff, and I like it. Perhaps the violin concerto is a little too indebted to Schoenberg, but it's still a strong work.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Brian

Was going to spend today continuing my voyage through John Neschling's BIS Brazilian music series, but I got distracted by Philip Sawyers.

Sawyers, b. 1951, has a sort of generalized modern musical language (firm tonal center but lots of dissonance) but he also has a good sense of drama, contrast, and structure.

Biffo

Sibelius: Symphony No 6 in D minor, Op 104 -Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jukka-Pekka Saraste

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on April 22, 2021, 04:04:10 AM
No 2.

Excellent but imo not as great as the First. (runs for cover)

No problem, Andrei. Truth be told, I like the first two symphonies (they both have some nice sections throughout), but I still think their debt to Tchaikovsky is too apparent. The 3rd is where Sibelius seems to have found his compositional voice.

aligreto

Strauss: Orchestral songs sung by Soile Isokoski

Ruhe, meine Seele!
Wiegenlied
Meinem Kinde
Zueignung
Morgen!
Die heiligen drei Konige aus Morgenland

Here is more magnificence from Isokoski. Morgen is another particularly fine delivery. Isokoski is as wonderful as ever but this presentation showcases the orchestra in a wonderful, delicate performance.

Harry

Jon Nordal.

Orchestral Works.

Choralis.
Adagio for Flute,Harp, Piano and String Orchestra.
Longnaetti.
Epitafion.
Leidsla.

Iceland SO, Johannes Gustavsson.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Papy Oli

From the Frémaux box, recently purchased.

Chabrier - Espana
Debussy - Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
Dukas - L'apprenti sorcier

Olivier

Mirror Image

NP:

Sculthorpe
Night Pieces
Tamara-Anna Cislowska

Traces of Debussy and Takemitsu abound, this is a lovely work nevertheless.

Papy Oli

Honegger -  Movement symphonique No. 1 'Pacific 231'
Lehár - Paganini, Act 2: "Girls were made to love and kiss" (Gern hab' ich die Frau'n geküsst) [Paganini]
Lehár - Frasquita, Act 2: "When the moon is shining white" (Hab' ein blaues Himmelbett) [Frasquita]
Lehár - Frederica, Act 2: "O maiden, my maiden" (O Mädchen, mein Mädchen) [Friederike]
Lehár - The Land of Smiles, Act 2: "You are my heart's delight" (Dein ist mein ganzes Herz!) [Sou-Chong]
Litolff - Concerto symphonique No. 4 in D minor, Op. 102: Scherzo
Leoncavallo - Pagliacci, Act 1: "To act!... On with the motley" (Recitar!... Vesti la giubba) [Canio]

[/quote]
Olivier

Traverso

Messiaen

Just arrived :)

Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant-Jésus

Mandryka

Quote from: Traverso on April 22, 2021, 08:20:13 AM
Messiaen

Just arrived :)

Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant-Jésus

This pianist is, IMO, one of the real "greats." That being said, I've never heard that Messiaen CD, but I've seen him do it in concert twice, with like, 20 years between. Just recently I listened to some of his Beethoven, and was very impressed -- and normally Beethoven's music is not for me at all!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on April 22, 2021, 08:24:16 AM
This pianist is, IMO, one of the real "greats." That being said, I've never heard that Messiaen CD, but I've seen him do it in concert twice, with like, 20 years between. Just recently I listened to some of his Beethoven, and was very impressed -- and normally Beethoven's music is not for me at all!

Yesterday I listened to Beroff and I will not return to that recording. I have hight hopes for this one,the beginning ( very calm ) is promising. :)
The piano has been recorded with a spaciousness that immediately appeals, but that is often at the expense of all kinds of touché nuances that are lost.
However, Loriod left out many touché nuances because she did not want to let the form suffer.

If it is convincing it is authentic, Leonhardt once said,a clever statement and Osborne is a convincing narrator

I will listening to his Beethoven,I like Beethoven. :)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on April 21, 2021, 02:22:31 AM
Now playing:
Bax Symphony No.6 LPO/Thomson
I have never previously liked this symphony as much as others have (it's often considered to be the greatest of the 7 Bax symphonies). However, Thomson is bringing this epic work alive for me. I think that part of the problem before was that I first encountered the symphony through Norman Del Mar's performance on a Lyrita LP. I think that it's the only example of the five Bax symphonies recorded by Lyrita (1,2,5,6,7) where other performances are better. The boxed-in recording of the Lyrita doesn't help. I prefer all the other recordings (even the much-maligned one by Douglas Bostock) to Del Mar's. There are some fine recordings by Del Mar (Stanford's Irish Symphony, Moeran's Sinfonietta for example) but I find his performance of the Bax symphony very underwhelming. I also saw him give the most dreary performance of 'A Pastoral Symphony' in London, which was the worst performance of a VW symphony that I have seen live. Thomson's, however, is a fine, brooding performance and recording as is the one conducted by Lloyd-Jones on Naxos (the best of that series I think). The unpromising sounding 'Festival Overture' is also a fine and entirely characteristic work:

The other day I relistened to this epic work on the Naxos recording. I love this symphony more and more. I even think it's my favorite by him.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Florestan on April 21, 2021, 07:46:41 AM

No. 1 (again)

This one of the greatest Late Romantic symphonies.

Absolutely. Nos. 1, 2 and 7 resonate with me the most.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Harp Concerto

Very nice work. The first movement encapsulates Milhaud at his best. My only complaint is the abrupt way the movements end, something like Malipiero's piano concertos do.

Noam Chomsky

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 22, 2021, 06:41:07 AM
No problem, Andrei. Truth be told, I like the first two symphonies (they both have some nice sections throughout), but I still think their debt to Tchaikovsky is too apparent. The 3rd is where Sibelius seems to have found his compositional voice.

Well, I beg to differ from this widespread opinion. Aside from the recurring big, sweeping, soaring tune in the finale of the 1st, there's not much Tchaikovsky in them. I mean, Tchaikovsky's world is the Russian high society, with all its cultural sophistication and human passions; Sibelius' world is the Finnish nature, with all its elemental simplicity and unspoiled dispassionateness. I really don't see much common ground between the two.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Symphonic Addict

Alfvén: Symphony No. 3
Glazunov: Symphony No. 5

The slow movements in these works are sublime, the highlights without doubts.

Noam Chomsky

Brahmsian

Quote from: Florestan on April 22, 2021, 10:48:28 AM
Well, I beg to differ from this widespread opinion. Aside from the recurring big, sweeping, soaring tune in the finale of the 1st, there's not much Tchaikovsky in them. I mean, Tchaikovsky's world is the Russian high society, with all its cultural sophistication and human passions; Sibelius' world is the Finnish nature, with all its elemental simplicity and unspoiled dispassionateness. I really don't see much common ground between the two.

One of the many things I like about the Sibelius symphonies, is that they are all very unique and different from each other.

Florestan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 22, 2021, 10:58:00 AM
One of the many things I like about the Sibelius symphonies, is that they are all very unique and different from each other.

Well, I agree with John that the first two are quite similar --- I just disagree they are similar to Tchaikovsky.  :D

The reason I prefer the 1st is that it has memorable tunes in all movements, while the 2nd has only one truly memorable: the very opening one.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini