What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning (+ 1 Hidden) and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

listener

WAGNER: Siegfried Idyll       SCHOENBERG: Verklärte Nacht)
English Chamber Orch.,  Vladimir Ashkenazy cond.
short program (47 minutes) but satisfying.  It's a 1984 disc so the content matches the LP release at the time.
Flemish Rhapsodies by ROUSSEL, ABSIL, DE JONG, SCHOEMAKER, and BRUSSELMANS, and a  Rhapsody by August De Boeck
Brussels BRTN Philharmonic Orch.   Alexander Rahbari, cond.
TARTINI: Violin Concerto in G
Givanni Guglielmo, baroque violin,  L'Arte del Arco
VIOTTI: Violin Concerto 17
Franco Mezzena, violin   Symphonia Perusina
PAGANINI: Sonata per la gran viola
Luigi Alberto Bianchi, viola   RIAS Orchestra Berlin
PAGANINI: Maestosa Sonata Sentimentale
Massimo Quarta, violin   Stefania Redaelli, piano
no notes inside the cover of the booklet?   This may be a used disc that I'm giving a first listen to
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Brahmsian

Quote from: Florestan on April 22, 2021, 11:09:14 AM
Well, I agree with John that the first two are quite similar --- I just disagree they are similar to Tchaikovsky.  :D

The reason I prefer the 1st is that it has memorable tunes in all movements, while the 2nd has only one truly memorable: the very opening one.

Andrei, what about the anthemic, heroic finale of number 2?   :'(

I'd say my current favourite three of Sibelius are 5, 2 and 3.  Every single one of his symphonies have been a favourite of mine at some point.  I don't think I can ever declare any other composer holding that same distinction.

Florestan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 22, 2021, 11:36:20 AM
Andrei, what about the anthemic, heroic finale of number 2?   :'(

I remember it being anthemic and heroic. Can't remember the tune, though --- sorry.  ;D

QuoteEvery single one of his symphonies have been a favourite of mine at some point.  I don't think I can ever declare any other composer holding that same distinction.

I'll grant you that. I never had such an experience with symphonies.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Roasted Swan

I remember playing Sibelius 1 in my Youth Orchestra.  Given that I've had a career in professional orchestral playing, that performance still rates as one of my top 5 experiences........

vandermolen

Klami 'Sea Pictures'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 22, 2021, 08:50:44 AM
The other day I relistened to this epic work on the Naxos recording. I love this symphony more and more. I even think it's my favorite by him.
Thomson's performance certainly brought it alive for me Cesar. The Lloyd-Jones is my other favourite recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 22, 2021, 12:27:04 PM
I remember playing Sibelius 1 in my Youth Orchestra.  Given that I've had a career in professional orchestral playing, that performance still rates as one of my top 5 experiences........

My Top 5 Firsts, in chronological order: Mozart, Schumann, Tchaikovsky, Mahler, Sibelius.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on April 22, 2021, 06:59:48 AM
Jon Nordal.

Orchestral Works.

Choralis.
Adagio for Flute,Harp, Piano and String Orchestra.
Longnaetti.
Epitafion.
Leidsla.

Iceland SO, Johannes Gustavsson.

More temptation Harry  ::)
What's the music like?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on April 22, 2021, 11:09:14 AM
Well, I agree with John that the first two are quite similar --- I just disagree they are similar to Tchaikovsky.  :D

The reason I prefer the 1st is that it has memorable tunes in all movements, while the 2nd has only one truly memorable: the very opening one.

OTOH, I don't remember any of the tunes in the First. But can hum bits of every movement of the Second.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Thread Duty:
Liszt
A Faust Symphony
Chas Bressler, tenor
The Choral Art Society
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on April 22, 2021, 12:58:26 PM
More temptation Harry  ::)
What's the music like?

Modern but no real atonality.  Just what you might expect from the Iceland shores. Austere and atmospheric at the same time, a bit like Rautavaara, but with a twist. Best try some samples on JPC, you get the impression of what he is about. I am sure you like him, after all you also listen to Klami, right?
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vers la flamme

Never heard much Tchaikovsky in the earlier Sibelius myself. The 2nd is one of my favorites along with the 5th and 7th.

Richard Strauss: Arias from the operas Die Frau ohne Schatten, Die Rosenkavalier, Die ägyptische Helena, Guntram, etc. Leontyne Price, Erich Leinsdorf, New Philharmonia Orchestra

First listen to this disc. Sounds excellent. I don't know much about Straussian opera but I'd love to hear more of it.

aligreto

Miaskovsky: Symphony No. 6 [Svetlanov]

I find this to be a wonderfully tension filled opening movement, even when the drama and dynamics have settled down. There is a terrifically effective use of the brass section. There is a short and wonderful woodwind induced calm in the second movement but those dark clouds soon reappear. The sound world of the third movement was a wonderful contrast to what went before. I really liked it. Once again, the orchestration, the atmosphere and the emotion are all a great experience for me. Good old Nickolai woke up in a very sunny mood for the fourth movement which was very pleasant to hear!

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on April 22, 2021, 08:20:13 AM
Messiaen

Just arrived :)

Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant-Jésus

Did you enjoy your new purchase, Jan?

Roasted Swan

Riccardo Muti's early EMI recordings with the Philharmonia are uniformly fine.  Just three recordings/sets that stand the test of time;

All three have a dynamism and excitement in the music-making that later Muti recordings seem to singularly lack......  Classic EMI/analogue/(often) Kingsway Hall sound to boot (except Manfred in early DDD)

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on April 22, 2021, 01:59:00 PM
Did you enjoy your new purchase, Jan?

I did Fergus, but not wihout reservations,it is briljant,impressive and authoritive but the Loriod recording from the Warner set was more to my liking.I was more emotionally touched by her recording.
I did purchase another recording today this time withJean-Rodolphe Kars .
That will defenitely my last Messiaen purchase for now.
It is an older live recording.and seems very special.Well,I will know it tomorrow. :)
My first recording was played by Beroff but after hearing a few other recordings it feels not convincing.
Hearing a few interpretations is very illuminating.
I still have to listen to the first Loriod recording and the one from Peter Hill.
Of course I have to listen again to the Osbourne recording,you never know if you (wiill) change your mind.I,m very curious about Peter Hill with a more poëtical approach.

Daverz

Brotons: Symphony No. 5

Exciting stuff.

Alek Hidell

Quote from: T. D. on April 20, 2021, 06:54:28 PM

Too weird/modern to post on the opera thread, so posting here.  ;)

I know this is going back a few pages, but then again that's only about half an hour on this thread ... :D

So is this an opera then, T.D.? I'm a Braxton fan but I don't keep up with everything he does (is that even possible?).
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

T. D.

Quote from: Alek Hidell on April 22, 2021, 04:43:57 PM
I know this is going back a few pages, but then again that's only about half an hour on this thread ... :D

So is this an opera then, T.D.? I'm a Braxton fan but I don't keep up with everything he does (is that even possible?).

Yes, Braxton's Trillium pieces are all operas; I know of three recordings (R, E and J), but there may be more. I'm not an unqualified Braxton fan, cautious about purchases from his huge discography, but listened to quite a few samples on bandcamp and really enjoyed them.

I purchased R because I'm a dinosaur CD listener and that was available cheapest on disc. The physical J recording looks most interesting, because it includes audio CDs and Blu-Ray DVDs (and my taste has swung back to preferring video with operas), but I don't have a Blu-Ray player  :'(. I think audio downloads of Trillium R, E and J are all offered on Braxton's bandcamp pages.

Alek Hidell

Quote from: T. D. on April 22, 2021, 04:59:52 PM
Yes, Braxton's Trillium pieces are all operas; I know of three recordings (R, E and J), but there may be more. I'm not an unqualified Braxton fan, cautious about purchases from his huge discography, but listened to quite a few samples on bandcamp and really enjoyed them.

I purchased R because I'm a dinosaur CD listener and that was available cheapest on disc. The physical J recording looks most interesting, because it includes audio CDs and Blu-Ray DVDs (and my taste has swung back to preferring video with operas), but I don't have a Blu-Ray player  :'(. I think audio downloads of Trillium R, E and J are all offered on Braxton's bandcamp pages.

Thanks!

I'm not an opera fan in general, so I'll be skipping these. And like you, I'm not an unqualified fan - Braxton's oeuvre is uneven for sure, but so would be any artist's who released as much material as he does.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara