What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

This has been discussed here before and people didn't feel positive - including myself. The thought was that it was unpoetic.

However I now think that that judgement was unfair. Tonight I'm listening to them play Babbitt 3 and to me, it sounds like the most beautiful quartet I've ever heard in all my life. I mean, while I'm listening to it, it totally effaces the memory of all other quartets.

Part of the fascination comes from a contradiction. On the one hand, the music is completely unpredictable - as unpredictable as something by Cage constructed by chance processes, even though it's probably diametrically opposed to chance processes, the logic is not something I can hear at all. And on the other, it is so poised, classical and elegant, like a jewel, a diamond.

So I guess they're doing something right.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Stürmisch Bewegt

Lotta Scarlatti today :

Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on April 23, 2021, 01:03:41 PM
That is a wonderful, quirky work. Did you like it Olivier?

Façade was good fun, Fergus. Much prefer this orchestral version to the singing one.
Olivier

Symphonic Addict

Oboe Concerto

Delightful piece.

Symphony No. 12

Not one of the best on this series. It was too polished for my ears. I was expecting more visceral drama.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

First heard this piece live at a NY Phil concert in the park on Sheepshead Bay in Queens

Sibelius
Symphony № 2 in D, Op. 43
Lahti Symphony
Vänskä
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on April 23, 2021, 07:31:16 AM
My copy arrived last week and I haven't opened it yet. Have heard good things!

You'll generally hear better things after opening it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Daverz

Albums from Sony's Rodzinski/New York Philharmonic box have started to hit the streaming sites:

Sounds great for a 1948 recording.

JBS

Another listen to this.
[Asin]B08NDXD2T7[/asin]
Recommended.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

André

Superb. Arnell's evolution from no 1 (1939) to no 5 (1962) is fascinating. A wonderful disc.

Listened to the Rosza, Tiomkin, 2 Steiners, 2 Korngolds this week. Amazing production values. Gerhardt was able to secure the participation of the Ambrosian Singers, pianist Earl Wild and contralto Norma Procter (aka the solo alto from Horenstein's famous M3) for what are sometimes very short contributions. Orchestra and recorded sound are top notch. The whole series was recorded in the Kingsway Hall in 1973. DeLuxe stuff.

André

Excellent performance by Haitink and the most luxurious execution imaginable from the Concertgebouworkest (best horn section in the world at the time). The slow sections of I, III and VI do not possess the hypnotic beauty and refinement of the BRSO version, as Haitink in 1966 was a faster, cooler conductor. The sound is still beautiful. A classic.

Mirror Image

NP:

Zemlinsky
Ein Tanzpoem
Gürzenich Orchestra Cologne
Conlon

Utterly enchanting.

Symphonic Addict

Rota: Symphony No. 3
Antheil: Symphony No. 6

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

NP:

Messiaen
L'Ascension
Orchestre Philharmonique de L'ORTF
Constant

Que

Morning listening (on Spotify):

PS I kind of expected to be blown away by this recording, but I'm not.... ::)

Is it because of the largish ensemble with four tenors? The "pretty" smoothness, sometimes glossing over accents & details? I'm not sure .... this deserves another (comparative) listen some other time.
This mass has also been recorded by Cut Circle/ Rodin, Cantica Symphonia/Boeke, Maletto and an older recording by Dominique Vellard.

Que

Quote from: JBS on April 23, 2021, 06:04:15 PM
Another listen to this.
[Asin]B08NDXD2T7[/asin]
Recommended.

Noted!  I'm not surprised. After all, it's Enrico Gatti..  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 23, 2021, 07:44:24 PM
Rota: Symphony No. 3
Antheil: Symphony No. 6

I have the Antheil disc Cesar but I wonder what the Rota symphony is like. I know that Christo is a fan.

Now, playing (again):
Kalnins: Symphony No.6
It should, I imagine, appeal to admirers of Philip Glass but it is not the same:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 23, 2021, 06:10:26 PM

Superb. Arnell's evolution from no 1 (1939) to no 5 (1962) is fascinating. A wonderful disc.

Listened to the Rosza, Tiomkin, 2 Steiners, 2 Korngolds this week. Amazing production values. Gerhardt was able to secure the participation of the Ambrosian Singers, pianist Earl Wild and contralto Norma Procter (aka the solo alto from Horenstein's famous M3) for what are sometimes very short contributions. Orchestra and recorded sound are top notch. The whole series was recorded in the Kingsway Hall in 1973. DeLuxe stuff.
The Gerhardt box set is high on my wish list and Arnell was a fine composer - but I don't know the SQs.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Kabalevsky: Cello Sonata.

Surprisingly dark and heartfelt which doesn't fit my image of the composer.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Que