What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin, Spotted Horses and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 30, 2021, 12:34:00 PM
I must admit I rather agree with Mirror Image here.  The "original" version of Seejungfrau is actually a version never sanctioned by Zemlinsky and it adds little to our overall appreciation of the work.  Storgards is not as fluent or nuanced as Chailly or Beaumont I feel and the Sinfonietta offered on this disc is another spurious edition that adds nothing to our knowledge of the original work.  Useful for chamber orchestras to perform in concert in small venues but irrelevant on CD for me.  Since that pioneering Chailly disc Seejungfrau has been pretty well served on disc but I do find this new edition a bit of a red-herring.

Thanks for the support! ;) But, really, I'm just opining what I think and what I think is Die Seejunfrau is fine just the way it is and there's a good reason why Zemlinsky revised it.

aligreto

Miaskovsky: Symphony No. 17 Op. 41 [Svetlanov]

This one is an epic; mighty and weighty. Having said that, there are many lyrical passages that enliven the multi-faceted work. Drama, tension and excitement prevail through the excellent orchestration, and once again, the writing for the wind section is wonderfully effective. The second, slow movement really is a thing of beauty. That third movement is also very appealing and also a bit quirky.

Papy Oli

Chausson - Poème

From the Martinon Icon box.
Olivier

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on April 30, 2021, 12:55:51 PM
Miaskovsky: Symphony No. 17 Op. 41 [Svetlanov]

This one is an epic; mighty and weighty. Having said that, there are many lyrical passages that enliven the multi-faceted work. Drama, tension and excitement prevail through the excellent orchestration, and once again, the writing for the wind section is wonderfully effective. The second, slow movement really is a thing of beauty. That third movement is also very appealing and also a bit quirky.

I have been informed that the 17th symphony must be something special   :)

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on April 30, 2021, 01:02:42 PM
I have been informed that the 17th symphony must be something special   :)

Yes, Jan, It is and I had also read that it was so before I heard it. But I do things the boring way with a new box set or conductor with a new cycle. I like to start at the beginning to see how things evolve and progress. So I waited patiently and I was not disappointed.

ritter

Staying on Mediterranean shores, but moving eastwards from Italy to Greece, with Nikos Skalkottas' String Quartets No. 3 & No. 4 (played by the New Hellenic Quartet).

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on April 30, 2021, 01:18:24 PM
Staying on Mediterranean shores, but moving eastwards from Italy to Greece, with Nikos Skalkottas' String Quartets No. 3 & No. 4 (played by the New Hellenic Quartet).

What do you think about Skalkottas' music, Rafael?

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 30, 2021, 01:27:38 PM
What do you think about Skalkottas' music, Rafael?
I think it's very attractive, even if I don't return to it that often. The alternation between his serious sounding Schoenbergism and his Greek folk style is quite fascinating actually, and to me it sounds like very well crafted music. In any case, my knowledge of it isn't that intimate...

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on April 30, 2021, 01:37:19 PM
I think it's very attractive, even if I don't return to it that often. The alternation between his serious sounding Schoenbergism and his Greek folk style is quite fascinating actually, and to me it sounds like very well crafted music. In any case, my knowledge of it isn't that intimate...

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't really heard anything of great distinction of his work yet, but I should plan a revisit at some point.

ritter

And from Greece, on to the Greek Stravinsky: Riccardo Chailly conducts the Concertgebouw Orchestra in Apollon Musagète.

From the not so old and not quite complete DG "Stravinsky Complete Edition"

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on April 30, 2021, 02:30:36 PM
And from Greece, on to the Greek Stravinsky: Riccardo Chailly conducts the Concertgebouw Orchestra in Apollon Musagète.

From the not so old and not quite complete DG "Stravinsky Complete Edition"

Lovely! Great performance, too.

Thread duty -

Schoenberg
A Survivor From Warsaw (Ein Überlebender Aus Warsaw) Op. 46
Variations for Orchestra, Op. 31
Five Pieces for Orchestra, Op. 16
Accompaniment To A Cinematographic Scene (Begleitmusik Zu Einer Lichtspielszene-Drohende Gefahr, Angst, Katastrophe) Op. 34

Günter Reich, speaker
BBC SO
Boulez

A stunning tour-de-force of Schoenberg vocal/orchestral works. Today has been kind of a Second Viennese School kind of day, which is always a gratifying experience.

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on April 30, 2021, 01:05:57 PM
Yes, Jan, It is and I had also read that it was so before I heard it. But I do things the boring way with a new box set or conductor with a new cycle. I like to start at the beginning to see how things evolve and progress. So I waited patiently and I was not disappointed.

You don't need me to say this, but: Nothing wrong with that approach, Fergus.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on April 30, 2021, 01:18:24 PM

Mmmmm.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

From my experience, everything by Skalkottas is worth your time!

https://www.youtube.com/v/mpOnx4p9NUw
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Daverz

Quote from: "Harry" on April 30, 2021, 01:31:52 AM
Boris Papandopulo.

Piano Concerto No 3
Violin Concerto.

I've really enjoyed the CPO discs of his music that have come out so far.  He was a very prolific composer, so hopefully there will be much more.

TD: Frankel: Symphony No. 5

My previous encounter with Frankel was his film score for The Battle of the Bulge, which I found boring.  Probably works better in the context of the film.  This symphony however is quite engaging, lyrical and martial by turns and very well orchestrated.  It's also concise.  The recording is fantastic.

Karl Henning

First-Listen Friday:

Myaskovsky
Silence, Op. 9 (1910)
Svetlanov & al.

The fact is, I listened to this four times today. It has shot straight to my second-favorite Myaskovsky score (after the a minor quartet, № 13, Op. 86)  Twenty minutes of wonderfully colorful and atmospheric music which engages the ear from start to end, which has not always been my own experience with the composer.

Dmitri Dmitriyevich
Symphony № 7 in C, Op. 60 « Leningrad »
First I've listened to thus recording.  I've kept it at arm's length, because of the cuts (which Lenny himself later restored in his recording with the CSO.) I don't say that I expected otherwise, but of course, unless I were to follow the score, I don't notice the cut variation[ s ] and putting that musical malfeasance out of mind, I find it in all other respects a fantastic account.

(* typo *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

Fully in agreement with this, although I must say his "Schoenbergism" is sometimes too thorny for me. But that should be less of a problem to those who, unlike me, often find Schoenberg too thorny. But he's well worth hearing.
[Also Skalkottas had his own distinct voice and style, by no means an epigone of AS.]

TD
From this set

This CD

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Now, for something completely different and from a Schoenberg student nonetheless...

NP:

Harrison
Seven Pastorales
Brooklyn Philharmonic
Dennis Russell Davies

Mirror Image

Selections from this recording:

Exceptionally beautiful.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 29, 2021, 08:23:21 PM
Well, the fact that you're enjoying should mean something, right? I've read Toch's idiom is better suited in chamber music, but there's much about the composer I don't know.

It's true, but we all don't enjoy music in the same way, we prefer some composers and works over others, so I sometimes prefer to be more prudent, although with these works I can't hide my enthusiasm.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky