What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on May 04, 2021, 09:01:58 AM
Miaskovsky: Symphony Ballad No. 22 [Svetlanov] Op. 54

Those sweeping strings [particularly the lower register] are rich and swirling and make for a truly wonderful mix with the glorious brass and woodwind sections. We also have wonderfully rich chords and harmonic writing in the middle section with rich sonorities and atmosphere and emotion. Then we come full circle to conclude. Here is more very well crafted and really rich orchestral writing on display.
It was my first Miaskovsky Symphony experience Fergus (on an HMV/Melodiya LP, bought with a birthday record token). I liked the Svetlanov 'Festive Poem' as well:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on May 04, 2021, 09:02:59 AM
A lot of music listened to since then, Jan  :)

Unbelievable, it seems like a different life. Yesterday I ordered a DVD of a television series that until recently was only available with considerable cuts. Yesterday I discovered that there is now a full edition. Hopefully the picture quality is okay too. 

The old one

Mit meinen heißen Tränen (1986)

The new one

(two DVD's)

It's one of the highlights I've ever seen on television, beautifully filmed and finally fully available.

I am afraid that it is only available in the German language and probably without subtitles, it is of great class, poignant scenes as when the end of his life is approaching and his mental faculties start to play tricks on him.

Mirror Image

Quote from: "Harry" on May 04, 2021, 08:47:17 AM
Benjamin Britten.

Sinfonia da Requiem.
Four Sea interludes and Passacaglia from Peter Grimes.
The Young person's Guide to the Orchestra.

Royal Liverpool PO, Libor Pesek.

Lovely, Harry. 8) I'm not familiar with those performances, but I bet they are quite good.

André

First encounter with the symphonies of Wetz.

Mirror Image

First-Listen Tuesday and a new arrival...

Zemlinsky
Der Zwerg, Op. 17
Juanita Lascarro (soprano), Machiko Obata (soprano), Soile Isokoski (soprano), Natalie Karl (soprano), Martina Rüping (mezzo-soprano), Iride Martinez (soprano), Anne Schwanewilms (mezzo-soprano), Andrew Collis (bass), David Kuebler (vocals)
Gürzenich-Orchester Köln, Frankfurter Kantorei
James Conlon

Karl Henning

Tchaikovsky
Symphony № 1 in g minor , Op. 13 « Winter Daydreams »
Symphony № 2 in c minor , Op. 17 « Little Russian »

NY Phil
Lenny

I like this better than the Markevich/LSO recording, even though I have not listened to the Markevich in months: because as I listen to this, I feel that I love the g minor Symphony, which is (frankly) a first. I'm going right back to listen to it again, also a first.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 02, 2021, 09:53:27 AM
A first listen:

Weinberg
Symphony № 3 in b minor, Op. 45 (1949)

That reminds me, I need to spend more time with this cycle..

Thread-duty
Weinberg
Symphonies Nos. 1 & 3
Gothenburg Symphony
Svedlund

Symphony No. 2
CBSO
Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

NP:

Scriabin
Preludes, Op. 11
Fergus-Thompson

From this marvelous set:

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on May 04, 2021, 10:57:50 AM

Thread-duty
Weinberg
Symphonies Nos. 1 & 3
Gothenburg Symphony
Svedlund

Symphony No. 2
CBSO
Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla

After finding myself enthusiastic over the first three, Karlo, I'm a bit let down to report that Nos. 4 & 5 seem to leave me cold ....

Thread Duty:

Jumping out of order to revisit this disc, esp. for the Harris:

Dvořák
Symphony № 9 in e minor , Op. 95 « From the New World »

Harris
Symphony № 3
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 04, 2021, 12:17:37 PM
After finding myself enthusiastic over the first three, Karlo, I'm a bit let down to report that Nos. 4 & 5 seem to leave me cold ....

I think Weinberg's 5th is his greatest symphony, but the 3rd and 6th are on par with it. Keep trying the 5th, Karl. Do listen to the Kondrashin performance (if you haven't already). I find the later symphonies basically all seem to run together for me. Not a whole lot of distinction between them.

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on May 04, 2021, 09:34:02 AM
It was my first Miaskovsky Symphony experience Fergus (on an HMV/Melodiya LP, bought with a birthday record token). I liked the Svetlanov 'Festive Poem' as well:

Well, no wonder you were hooked instantly, Jeffrey.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on May 04, 2021, 09:34:53 AM
Unbelievable, it seems like a different life. Yesterday I ordered a DVD of a television series that until recently was only available with considerable cuts. Yesterday I discovered that there is now a full edition. Hopefully the picture quality is okay too. 

The old one

Mit meinen heißen Tränen (1986)

The new one

(two DVD's)

It's one of the highlights I've ever seen on television, beautifully filmed and finally fully available.

I am afraid that it is only available in the German language and probably without subtitles, it is of great class, poignant scenes as when the end of his life is approaching and his mental faculties start to play tricks on him.

I hope that you like it Jan  :)

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on May 04, 2021, 12:50:17 PM
I hope that you like it Jan  :)

Thank you Fergus,I sure will and I look forward to see it again for the first time in this complete edition in 35 years. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: North Star on May 04, 2021, 10:57:50 AM

Thread-duty
Weinberg
Symphonies Nos. 1 & 3
Gothenburg Symphony
Svedlund

Symphony No. 2
CBSO
Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla

I was fortunate enough to see Weinberg's 3rd Symphony at the Proms a while back.

Now playing - Miaskovsky 'Alastor' Symphonic Poem after Shelley (1914) - dedicated to Prokofiev and premiered by Serge Koussevitsky:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 04, 2021, 12:17:37 PM

Thread Duty:

Jumping out of order to revisit this disc, esp. for the Harris:

Dvořák
Symphony № 9 in e minor , Op. 95 « From the New World »

Harris
Symphony № 3
NY Phil
Lenny

Best performance of the Harris Symphony 3 IMO.
I agree with John about Weinberg's 5th Symphony, but to realise it's stature you need to hear Kondrashin's performance (Melodiya/Russian Disc). I also found 4 a bit of a let down but 1,3,5 and 6 are great works:

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Carlo Gesualdo

Dear  GmG members tonight I am listening to Adam DE la Halle, 1951 release on Archive Production, Peter Abelard on Reflexes records (German import), Abbess Hildegarde von Bingen on Hyperion.

So I'm spinning LP's tonight of ancient lore  key composer
Good night  kinds folks.

I love my vinyls can't help it

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aukhawk

Quote from: Traverso on May 04, 2021, 05:16:16 AM
...What is your opinion about the recording Momo Kodama made from Vingt regards?

Sorry for the delay but I had to listen to a bit of the Kodama recording before responding.

Hers is just one of several very fine renditions of this wonderful suite of music.  I listened to some extracts and really enjoyed what I heard.  However my first reaction (before listening, just now) was that Momo Kodama is not a great fit for the Vingt Regards.  It's quite different from the Catalogue d'Oiseaux where she excels with her crystalline technique. 
Listening though, I felt that she was much better than I expected/remembered.  However eventually, on impulse, I switched to another recording I have, by (a young) Anton Batagov - and that was a revelation, a more 'romantic' approach which seems to me to suit this music better.  (NB this Melodiya recording is now over 30 years old, but it doesn't show.)

foxandpeng

More Sallinen before bedtime...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy