What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Tsaraslondon

This is an absolutely wonderful version of the Beethoven Violin Concerto, both for Thomas Zehetmair's magical playing and the orchestral contribution under Frans Brüggen.

I have only once heard Thomas Zehetmair live, at a concert in Grenoble when he played the Brahms Violin Concerto, and he was superb then too. He doesn't have the same high profile as some violinists but his playing was abolutely mesmersing, as it is here.

Highly recommended.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 05, 2021, 07:52:57 PM
NP:

Szymanowski
Mythes, Op. 30
Kaja Danczowska, Krystian Zimerman

One of Szymanowski's masterpieces and a work that should be a part of the mainstream chamber music repertoire.
Probably one of the first chamber music pieces I heard in performance, Tellefsen, Trondheim, Norway around 1973 IIRC.

In Lade Church:

Harry

I started to go through my collection to find CD'S that are not longer interesting for me. Beginning of course with the letter A.

The one in my player will definitively stay.

Heinrich Albert.
Musicalische Kürbs-Hütte, Lieder von Liebe und Tod.

Cantus Cölln, Konrad Junghänel, (Lute and direction)

Johanna Koslowsky, Soprano.
David Cordier, Alto.
Gerd Türk, Tenor.
Wilfried Jochens, Tenor.
Franz Josef Selig, Bass.
Recorded in 1988.

Very beautifully done. From a Stylistic point of view, Albert's Kürbishütte was undoubtedly influenced by Orlando di Lasso's late polyphonic style, which graphically depicted the contents of the text through the music and set a new musical standard.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

aligreto

Telemann: Pariser Quartette [Freiburger Barockconsort]

Wonderful playing in great sound.

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

More of Fauré by Stott with the Impromptus.

Olivier

Papy Oli

Might as well continue with some Barcarolles. This is just gorgeous.
Olivier

steve ridgway

Xenakis - Kraanerg. Not exactly gorgeous but it flows along in its own strange way. Apart from where there are big gaps.

Que

Quote from: The new erato on May 06, 2021, 12:33:44 AM
Now playing:

Niiiice!  :)

One could wonder how many Vivaldi bassoon recordings doesn one need?
But I found this 5th volume at least as rewarding as the previous ones!

Q

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on May 06, 2021, 01:33:07 AM
I started to go through my collection to find CD'S that are not longer interesting for me. Beginning of course with the letter A.

The one in my player will definitively stay.

Heinrich Albert.
Musicalische Kürbs-Hütte, Lieder von Liebe und Tod.

Cantus Cölln, Konrad Junghänel, (Lute and direction)

Johanna Koslowsky, Soprano.
David Cordier, Alto.
Gerd Türk, Tenor.
Wilfried Jochens, Tenor.
Franz Josef Selig, Bass.
Recorded in 1988.

Very beautifully done. From a Stylistic point of view, Albert's Kürbishütte was undoubtedly influenced by Orlando di Lasso's late polyphonic style, which graphically depicted the contents of the text through the music and set a new musical standard.

Sounds interesting, Harry!

Que

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on May 06, 2021, 12:28:55 AM

This is an absolutely wonderful version of the Beethoven Violin Concerto, both for Thomas Zehetmair's magical playing and the orchestral contribution under Frans Brüggen.

I have only once heard Thomas Zehetmair live, at a concert in Grenoble when he played the Brahms Violin Concerto, and he was superb then too. He doesn't have the same high profile as some violinists but his playing was abolutely mesmersing, as it is here.

Highly recommended.

This one jumped on the top of the pile when I heard it.  :)

And Zehetmair and Brüggen must have had something special, because this success was repeated with the Mozart concertos!

Harry

Henrico Albicastro.

Cantate-Sonate & Concertos.

Guy de Mey, Tenor.
Ensemble 415, Chiara Banchini.
Recorded 1990. Musique d' abord series.

Guy the Mey is in excellent form in the cantate "Coelestes angelii chori", and gets fine support from Ensemble 415, who also excel in the concerti. Albicastro who was born in Switzerland around 1661, was master of the Chapel in Leiden, The Netherlands, under the name of J.H. Weyenbergh, 1686, he was was one of the most impressive Baroque violin virtuosi of his time. His ornamentation and improvisation are extraordinarily impressive to my ears, so this one is also a keeper. The sound is good. Not much is recorded of this master of many trades. This CD is OOP.

Could not find an image.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

aligreto

Mendelssohn: String Quartet No. 5 [Gewandhaus Quartet]

The two opening movements contain wonderful quartet writing. It is powerful, flowing, appealing and exciting music. The performance here is very assertive and engaging and it is very well driven and presented. The Scherzo is truly electric and exuberant and it is truly too brief. The Adagio movement is very intense but also very lyrical and engaging and it is powerfully performed here. The final movement is relentless in its forward momentum. It is very well driven but it still contains a cohesion throughout that maintains its integrity. This is a terrific performance of some wonderful music.

Papy Oli

Gounod - Faust / Ballet Music (Monteux)
Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on May 06, 2021, 12:28:55 AM

Highly recommended.

I presume that version is the same as this one....

....which is the one that I own.

Traverso

Quote from: Que on May 06, 2021, 02:28:13 AM
This one jumped on the top of the pile when I heard it.  :)

And Zehetmair and Brüggen must have had something special, because this success was repeated with the Mozart concertos!

+1  :)

Traverso

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on May 06, 2021, 02:49:37 AM
Henrico Albicastro.

Cantate-Sonate & Concertos.

Guy de Mey, Tenor.
Ensemble 415, Chiara Banchini.
Recorded 1990. Musique d' abord series.

Guy the Mey is in excellent form in the cantate "Coelestes angelii chori", and gets fine support from Ensemble 415, who also excel in the concerti. Albicastro who was born in Switzerland around 1661, was master of the Chapel in Leiden, The Netherlands, under the name of J.H. Weyenbergh, 1686, he was was one of the most impressive Baroque violin virtuosi of his time. His ornamentation and improvisation are extraordinarily impressive to my ears, so this one is also a keeper. The sound is good. Not much is recorded of this master of many trades. This CD is OOP.

Could not find an image.

Looks nice as well, Harry!  :)

Papy Oli

John Kinsella - Symphony No.6

Olivier

Madiel

Earlier today I decided I wanted to listen to Dvorak's Requiem.

Because I was using streaming (and the version I have on CD wasn't there), I chose this version. And very good it was too. Lives up to all the positive reviews.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!