What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Madiel on May 06, 2021, 03:34:22 AM
Earlier today I decided I wanted to listen to Dvorak's Requiem.

Because I was using streaming (and the version I have on CD wasn't there), I chose this version. And very good it was too. Lives up to all the positive reviews.

I just listened to the Requiem for the first time very recently (and it is this recording). It made a tremendously positive impression on me.

Madiel

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 06, 2021, 03:46:13 AM
I just listened to the Requiem for the first time very recently (and it is this recording). It made a tremendously positive impression on me.

Yes I'd seen your post. I'm also developing a fandom of Antoni Wit more generally. He seems to generate a lot of well-regarded recordings.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Biffo

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No 9 in E minor - London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Bryden Thomson. A spot of serendipity; I logged on to Spotify to listen to something else and it brought up my Playlists page (didn't know I had one). Track II of RVW9 was prominently displayed so I decided to play the whole symphony. I have the album as a lossless download but it was easier to stick with Spotify. Fine performance.

Traverso

Messiaen

Livre 7

AMSTERDAM - Very sorry for the Russian pianist Anatol Urgorski. He took the trouble to study the complete 'Catalog d'Oiseaux' for the first integral presentation during a concert in the Netherlands. A striking number of visitors to the Saturday matinee left the Concertgebouw at the first break.

aligreto

Varese: Amériques [Boulez]

This is a powerful presentation of this work. Boulez drives it very well where it needs to be driven, almost brutally so in places. The conclusion is wonderfully tension filled and strongly dramatic.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on May 06, 2021, 04:43:59 AM
Messiaen

Livre 7

AMSTERDAM - Very sorry for the Russian pianist Anatol Urgorski. He took the trouble to study the complete 'Catalog d'Oiseaux' for the first integral presentation during a concert in the Netherlands. A striking number of visitors to the Saturday matinee left the Concertgebouw at the first break.

I presume that was due to ignorance of the music on the part of the audience rather than his presentation of it?

Stürmisch Bewegt

Continuing my delectation of La Venexiana's Madrigal box.  Yesterday while listening to Gesualdo, I had a sudden recollection of my early "Mad about Madrigals" experiences.  Things nearly forgotten...not mad, really, more annoying encounters having to do with them.  As a young college student, I had never heard one but had read about them and even the word fascinated me.  As a college freshman I asked the prof of my Music in Western Civilization class to play one and his response was "That's a bit rarefied for this class, I think."  It was the only music request of mine he didn't honor.  Six years later I heard a batch of them at a lunchtime concert at another university (where I worked). I was so enthralled, my lunch went untouched.  At the conclusion of the concert, which was very short, their ringleader asked the audience if anyone would like to hear a reprise of any of the songs as an encore.  Up went my hand and I asked for a Monteverdi madrigal they had done - cannot for the life o' me remember which one - and he said, brusquely, "No, we won't do that one again." Leaving me to wonder why, why?...  :(

Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Papy Oli

John Kinsella - Symphony No.7

and on a less tense note, some oboe concertos by Albinoni.

Olivier

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Biffo

Brahms: Symphony No 2 in D major, Op 73 - Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Sir John Barbirolli

Traverso

Quote from: Traverso on May 06, 2021, 04:43:59 AM
Messiaen

Livre 7

It was certainly not due to the performance that Ugorski gave.
It takes a lot of time to listen to the full Cataloque, perhaps many forgot that they also had to do some shopping. :o
These recordings on DG are truly exquisite.

Papy Oli

Olivier

Harry

Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach.

Berlin Symphonies.

Kammerorchester CPE Bach, Hartmut Haenchen.

Edel Classics, recorded in 1985. Re released on Brilliant.

Well this is an attempt to play these works in a suitable context. Orchestra is not large, tempi are spot on, sound is very good, so all in all its fun to hear them in this way. Enough reason to keep it. It was recorded in the Christuskirche, Berlin, and the acoustics are perfect to my ears.

Under the artistic direction of Hartmut Haenchen, a specific understanding of music, musico-structural analysis and virtuosity characterised the ensemble's successful interpretations. "The orchestra plays on modern instruments, without ignoring current historical performance practice. This results in remarkably intense and lively performances, which are deeply rooted in the score rather than amounting to nothing more than superficial pseudo-historical sound" (FonoForum). Alertness and agility distinguished the ensemble's concerts and recordings, "finely graded agogic nuances, precise assessment and moderate use of tonal space, controlled expressivity" (Berliner Zeitung) renders them unmistakable. While preparing the musical scores, Hartmut Haenchen referred to a knowledge resource of more than 200 theoretical texts from the 16th to 18th centuries. However, this was not to recreate an "authentic" performance, which many argue cannot exist in modern performance, but to create one of many possible interpretations according to stylistic insight. In order to present the intentions of a historical composition today with meaning, the interpretations concentrated on issues and statements that one can relate to today.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on May 06, 2021, 12:32:50 AM
Probably one of the first chamber music pieces I heard in performance, Tellefsen, Trondheim, Norway around 1973 IIRC.

In Lade Church:

Lovely, erato. Interesting that this work was one of first chamber pieces you've heard. A fine way to be introduced to the composer as well.

Traverso

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Thread Duty:

https://www.youtube.com/v/cuc1XFiNcYs

Our Brian will be pleased to know this was a Rice Univ. performance
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Traverso

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 06, 2021, 06:32:59 AM
Nice!

Indeed,you have I think listened to nearly all the  recording's in the Sony box. :)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Traverso