What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato, akebergv, steve ridgway and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Madiel on May 07, 2021, 03:02:30 AM
Earlier today, Symphony No.1

I have been listening frequently to Dvořák's 1st symphony, and the more I listen to it, the more I am falling in love with this much maligned misfit. The third movement is turning out to be one of my favourite movements of all of his symphonies, and particularly love the middle trio portion.

Madiel

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 07, 2021, 03:57:13 AM
I have been listening frequently to Dvořák's 1st symphony, and the more I listen to it, the more I am falling in love with this much maligned misfit. The third movement is turning out to be one of my favourite movements of all of his symphonies, and particularly love the middle trio portion.

Admittedly I wasn't playing close attention (this was while at work, though the nature of my work does mean I get times when I can put music on and be uninterrupted for an hour). However I tend to think it suffers from the same deficit as other early works: great tunes but a tendency to overdose on them and not be smart enough about structure.

I'm certainly going to have more listens, though, with a vague intent of adding recordings of symphonies 1-3 to my collection (this was on streaming). The gaps in my Dvorak collection are shrinking but I intend on filling most of them.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Stürmisch Bewegt

More Madrigals, today from Giaches de Wert, the earliest ones in the box. 

Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: The new erato on May 07, 2021, 01:01:27 AM
I'm endlessly fascinated by the Cathars and their destiny (the Albigensian crusade) and the region they lived in. Have visited Vezelay (where the crusade was launcehd), Beziers and numerous other locations, including travelling in the Pyrenees. Long to go back. Lots of good books about their history.

Hello The new Erato, thanks for posting fascinating indeed, cool too see you had a trip there, have a nice day sir.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Madiel on May 07, 2021, 04:22:51 AM
Admittedly I wasn't playing close attention (this was while at work, though the nature of my work does mean I get times when I can put music on and be uninterrupted for an hour). However I tend to think it suffers from the same deficit as other early works: great tunes but a tendency to overdose on them and not be smart enough about structure.

I'm certainly going to have more listens, though, with a vague intent of adding recordings of symphonies 1-3 to my collection (this was on streaming). The gaps in my Dvorak collection are shrinking but I intend on filling most of them.

The early symphonies (1-4), certainly are chock-full of tunes. Perhaps less structurally sound. I don't mind the repetitive nature myself.  ;D

Madiel

Mendelssohn, Organ Sonatas op.65

I approach this point in exploring Mendelssohn's catalogue with slight trepidation. Whether I can listen to an entire album of organ music remains to be seen. Mendelssohn actually has a better shot than most composers at getting me to listen to organ music, but still...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

foxandpeng

Sun hasn't really come out today, so I'm pretending it has...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Traverso

Karl Henning

Gosh, I love this music!

Bartók
Cto for pf & orch № 2, Sz 95
Cto for pf & orch № 3, Sz 119
Philippe Entremont
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 07, 2021, 05:10:04 AM
Gosh, I love this music!

Bartók
Cto for pf & orch № 2, Sz 95
Cto for pf & orch № 3, Sz 119
Philippe Entremont
NY Phil
Lenny

How big is this box?

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Papy Oli

Ravel
Schéhérazade
Le Tombeau de Couperin

Olivier

Mirror Image

NP:

Enescu
Chamber Symphony, Op. 33
Sinfonia da Camera
Hobson

Traverso

Koechlin

I must say that I appreciated  his orchestral works far more than his chamber music,but the first two CD's with pieces for clainet,flute and piano were very nice.

This one was something to return to. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on May 07, 2021, 05:50:50 AM
Koechlin

I must say that I appreciated  his orchestral works far more than his chamber music,but the first two CD's with pieces for clainet,flute and piano were very nice.

This one was something to return to. :)

A lot of my favorite Koechlin chamber works aren't in that Hänssler chamber set like the SQs, Violin Sonata, Horn Sonata, Piano Quintet, Sonate À Sept et. al., although it does contain that wonderful Viola Sonata and some of those other works for clarinet and flute that you mention.

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on May 07, 2021, 04:31:23 AM
More Madrigals, today from Giaches DE Wert, the earliest ones in the box.

Dear Sir Sturmich Bewegt, This box set I got to have it,  seem awesome even if I have  the DE Wert CD. Have a nice day sir  :)

foxandpeng

Easing into the weekend
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Madiel

Well I thought I was going to jump back on the Saint-Saens bandwagon with op.19, but guess what? There are no recordings of op.19.

So op.20 it is. Violin Concerto No.1

Sergeant Rock

Miaskovsky Symphony No 7 in B minor op.24

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"