What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

Brahms: Symphony No 3 in F major, Op 90 - Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Sir John Barbirolli

Papy Oli

Too good not to carry on.

Ravel
Menuet, Pavane, Mère l'Oye.

Olivier

Sergeant Rock

Miaskovsky Symphony No 8 in A major op.26

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

First-Listen Friday meets Myaskovsky Madness!

Myaskovsky
Sinfonietta in b minor, Op. 32 № 2
Divertissement, Op. 80
Svetlanov & al.

After the tremendous impact of this album's opener, the tone-poem Silence, I found the Sinfonietta something of a disappointingly dutiful listen. It dates from the same year (1929) in which Prokofiev made the final revision to his own Sinfonietta (first composed in 1909 (the year before Myaskovsky completed Silence)

The three movements of Myaskovsky's Sinfonietta are:
1. Allegro, piccante e serioso
2. Andante
3. Presto

The five movements of the Prokofiev are:

1. Allegro giocoso
2. Andante
3. Intermezzo: Vivace
4. Scherzo: Allegro risoluto
5. Allegro giocoso

The difference in character can be summed up in the contrasting descriptors for the respective first movements: serioso and giocoso.

Without wishing to flog the Myaskovsky piece for not being Prokofiev's ... the central fact for me is that the tone of Myaskovsky's work is peculiarly lugubrious for a piece designated a Sinfonietta.  In my first hearing, I was not conscious of the third movement Presto casting off the gloom much.  I shall go back to the piece, in hopes that the fog may clear (we might say)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Traverso

Mozart

Symphonies 21,22,23,24 & 25

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on May 07, 2021, 03:02:48 AM
Mendelssohn: String Quartet No. 6 [Gewandhaus Quartet]

There is great forward momentum in the opening two movements and the music is well driven here. The music moves relentlessly along with great gusto and excitement and works its way to a wonderful conclusion in both movements although the second movement conclusion is somewhat inconclusive. The slow movement is a very marked contrast in terms of tempo and tone and contains wonderfully engaging music. The Final movement resumes the original approach but not always at the same frantic tempo even if the sentiment of the music is the same. The string writing is terrific throughout.

Coincidently I was listening to the Gewandhaus Quartet last night. Probably your listening experience was better then mine. Joseph Haas, a late Romantic composer has his moments but not enough for extended listening in my view.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 07, 2021, 07:18:18 AM

Myaskovsky
Divertissement, Op. 80
Svetlanov & al.

After the tremendous impact of this album's opener, the tone-poem Silence, I found the Sinfonietta something of a disappointingly dutiful listen. It dates from the same year (1929) in which Prokofiev made the final revision to his own Sinfonietta (first composed in 1909 (the year before Myaskovsky completed Silence)

2. Andante
3. Presto

1. Allegro giocoso
2. Andante
5. Allegro giocoso

The difference in character can be summed up in the contrasting descriptors for the respective first movements: serioso and giocoso.

Without wishing to flog the Myaskovsky piece for not being Prokofiev's ... the central fact for me is that the tone of Myaskovsky's work is peculiarly lugubrious for a piece designated a Sinfonietta.  In my first hearing, I was not conscious of the third movement Presto casting off the gloom much.  I shall go back to the piece, in hopes that the fog may clear (we might say)

Thanks for your insight.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on May 07, 2021, 07:37:57 AM
Thanks for your insight.
+ 1
Unfortunately I can't listen to anything tonight as the CD player has packed up :'(
But, I have a new one which I'll try to set up later.  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SonicMan46

Raff, Joachim - String Quartets Nos. 2, 3, 4, & 8 w/ the Mannheimer SQ; 2-CD package - well, last month I had only 5 Raff CDs, nearly all chamber works - then I added the piano box w/ Tra Nguyen and this one w/ SQs - now just over a dozen discs in my collection - as to his Symphonies, own one, i.e. No. 5 - do I need more?  A rather expensive 9-CD box is available on Amazon USA (shown below) - worth the price or cheaper elsewhere?

Rautavaara, Einojuhani - Violin & Piano Music w/ Pekka Kuusisto and Paavali Jumppanen - well, am I a fan of this 20th/21 century (1928-2016) Finnish composer - own 8 discs of his orchestral music and enjoy (really like Cantus Articus), but he did compose piano and chamber works (list HERE), so my first recording exploring this part of his oeuvre - for those interested, reviews of these CDs are attached.  Dave :)

Mandryka

Quote from: deprofundis on May 06, 2021, 06:41:52 PM
Le Royaume Oublié = The Forgotten Kingdom an album/book containing three CD's wow, of ancient lore France, an epic journey of surreal beauty, simply said incredible and mesmerizing for me his best*, whit Istanbul, what do you think, hey?

Jordi Savall everything add been said about the greatness of this offering. What about it, well he know his stuff a true master whit an stunning good Ensemble and performers, whit peerless  execution and clever rendition, 100/100 some people on Amazon did not like it put this two star, I don't get it, but anyone entitled to there opinion.

it is very lush and as you say the soloists are totally charismatic. But seeing you mention it prompted me to swing in the opposite direction and listen to this CD of c13 French music. No instruments, just three tenors

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: Mandryka on May 07, 2021, 09:11:18 AM
it is very lush and as you say the soloists are totally charismatic. But seeing you mention it prompted me to swing in the opposite direction and listen to this CD of c13 French music. No instruments, just three tenors

Nice Mandryka sir you made an Eagle whit this release, was not aware of existence, I am impressed kind sir

Carlo Gesualdo

Purchased two CD today, wait , tapis rouge= red carpet, triumphant drum rolls and I present  my purchase and listening:

First we got

EL CANT DE LA SIBI-LA AND OTHER SACRED MEDIEVAL WORKS, on Dynamic Record, Musicaround Ensemble, Vera Marenco Conductor and Vielle Eugenia.

That not all  got some great Baroque master of masters, I was thinking , since buying J.s Bach, Motets for 6 time , Naxos, Billiant  and ect yada yada yada, I seen this BIS super audio CD decided to buy it even if a tiny bit more expensive (I'm such a Scrooge) lol but this one, listening tonight whit my father he love J.S Bach more than me.  8)

Have a great wonderful sunny cloudless day everyone out there on GmG.

SonicMan46

New arrival from JPC - 13 Euros HERE:

Jean-Claude Veilhan - his Complete Mozart Recordings in a 5-disc box - recordings summarized below - I already have 1 1/2 discs of this music which I love - historic instruments including use of plenty of basset horns (one shown on the cover art below along w/ the Trio di Basseto shown; plus the String Trio Stadler - named after Anton Stadler, Wolfie's clarinetist for whom he composed the wonderful Quintet & Concerto).  Dave :)

QuoteCD1: Clarinet Quartets, Op. 79 (K.380/374f; K378/317d; K.496)
CD2: Divertimentos Nos. 1-5 (K.439b)
CD3: Clarinet Quintet (K.581) & Clarinet Concerto (K.622)
CD4: Magic Flute (K.620) arr. for three Basset Horns & Timpani
CD5: Miscellaneous, including Divertimenti, Marriage Figaro

kyjo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 02, 2021, 09:53:27 AM
A first listen:

Weinberg
Symphony № 3 in b minor, Op. 45 (1949)

https://www.youtube.com/v/rYBMLgbK_l0

A beautiful work, one of my favorites by Weinberg.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

71 dB

Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach -Sonatas for keyboard and violin Wq71-74, 76 - Roberto Loreggian/Federico Guglielmo
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

aligreto

Miaskovsky: Links [Svetlanov] Op. 65

This work is mentioned in Wiki as "Suite for orchestra, Op. 65 (1945) Orchestrations of early piano pieces". I found the musical content mildly interesting and obviously, of course, the orchestration. It cannot, of course, compare or compete with the symphonic works in terms of construction of an argument or overall cohesion but it is still an interesting listen for the detail in the scoring, orchestration and musical language.

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 07, 2021, 07:18:18 AM

Myaskovsky
Divertissement, Op. 80
Svetlanov & al.

2. Andante
3. Presto

1. Allegro giocoso
2. Andante
5. Allegro giocoso

Interesting observations, Karl.

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on May 07, 2021, 08:10:56 AM

Unfortunately I can't listen to anything tonight as the CD player has packed up :'(
But, I have a new one which I'll try to set up later.  ;D

Best of luck with setting up, Jeffrey.

ritter

First listen to Juan José Castro's cantata Martín Fierro:

The work uses extracts of José Hernández's poem Martín Fierro ("the national book of Argentinians") as its text, and is scored for baritone (who recounts—in first person—episodes from Fierro's life), chorus and orchestra. The first section is very nostalgic, and then later some typical Argentinian rhythms are used (but much tamer than first period GinasteraCastro had studied in Paris with d'Indy, after all, and was close to Manuel de Falla). The orchestral writing, and to a certain extent, the choral parts are the most interesting. All in all, quite enjoyable and appealing. Not that I have anything to compare it to, but the performance by baritone Luciano Garay, the choruses and the Symphony Orchestra of the Province if Santa Fé, under Carlos Cuesta makes a strong case for the piece.

ritter

Another first listen:

Actually, I don't recall having ever listened to any Widor (as I'm not into organ music). These trios start promisingly, with a very late-romantic, albeit refined and elegant, sound.