What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Varese: Density 21.5 [Boulez] played by Lawrence Beauregard

This is a short work for solo flute and it is very accessible.

SimonNZ

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 06, 2021, 07:12:59 PM
NP:

Respighi
Vetrate Di Chiesa (Church Windows), P. 150
Philharmonia
Simon

Still the Church Windows performance to beat.
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on May 07, 2021, 10:40:11 AM
A beautiful work, one of my favorites by Weinberg.
Mine too Kyle.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on May 07, 2021, 12:19:46 PM
Best of luck with setting up, Jeffrey.
Thanks Fergus! Too tired after work today but hopefully tomorrow.

The new erato

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 07, 2021, 03:11:41 AM
I am NO expert on this period but enjoyed this piece of fiction;

the proverbial rollicking-good-read based on this Crusade....
I've read it. Interesting fiction.

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 07, 2021, 07:18:18 AM
First-Listen Friday meets Myaskovsky Madness!

Myaskovsky
Sinfonietta in b minor, Op. 32 № 2
Divertissement, Op. 80
Svetlanov & al.

After the tremendous impact of this album's opener, the tone-poem Silence, I found the Sinfonietta something of a disappointingly dutiful listen. It dates from the same year (1929) in which Prokofiev made the final revision to his own Sinfonietta (first composed in 1909 (the year before Myaskovsky completed Silence)

The three movements of Myaskovsky's Sinfonietta are:
1. Allegro, piccante e serioso
2. Andante
3. Presto

The five movements of the Prokofiev are:

1. Allegro giocoso
2. Andante
3. Intermezzo: Vivace
4. Scherzo: Allegro risoluto
5. Allegro giocoso

The difference in character can be summed up in the contrasting descriptors for the respective first movements: serioso and giocoso.

Without wishing to flog the Myaskovsky piece for not being Prokofiev's ... the central fact for me is that the tone of Myaskovsky's work is peculiarly lugubrious for a piece designated a Sinfonietta.  In my first hearing, I was not conscious of the third movement Presto casting off the gloom much.  I shall go back to the piece, in hopes that the fog may clear (we might say)

I've been conscious of the fact that I said nothing about the Op. 80 Divertissement, to which I have just listened afresh. If (while still holding the door open to my becoming reconciled with a "Sinfonietta seriosa") my initial takeaway from the Sinfonietta was the question whether it "succeeded in its genre." I owe Myaskovsky plaudits for the Divertissement which albeit deep-hued, perhaps, I find entirely successful and enjoyable.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on May 07, 2021, 08:10:56 AM
+ 1
Unfortunately I can't listen to anything tonight as the CD player has packed up :'(
But, I have a new one which I'll try to set up later.  ;D

I feel for you, friend.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on May 07, 2021, 12:08:12 PM
Miaskovsky: Links [Svetlanov] Op. 65

This work is mentioned in Wiki as "Suite for orchestra, Op. 65 (1945) Orchestrations of early piano pieces". I found the musical content mildly interesting and obviously, of course, the orchestration. It cannot, of course, compare or compete with the symphonic works in terms of construction of an argument or overall cohesion but it is still an interesting listen for the detail in the scoring, orchestration and musical language.

I feel much the same about Stravinsky's Suites for Small Orchestra, Fergus. One doesn't fault the composer for the "exercise," but the result may not quite earn its place at the table.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

Trios for flute, cello and piano by Martinu, Rorem and Crumb.

The Martinu trio (1945) is staunchly neoclassical, a busy, chatty discourse where the flute constantly plays in its high register, making the work rather grating in the end. The Rorem trio from 1960 is in a classical 4 movement cast. It starts with the flute playing in its low register, a totally different sound from the hyperactive cricket whistle of the Martinu. It's a rather good work, if conventionally written. The Crumb piece dates from 1971 and uses amplification and electronic gimmickry to alter the instruments' sounds. It is titled Vox balenae (voice of the whale) and imitates underwater sounds including of course the sounds of whales. It's an interesting work, although the electronics sound primitive by moments and give the work a somewhat 'Yellow Submarine' feel - very vintage. On the whole I enjoyed it the most among the three works here. It is worth noting that it was composed one year after Hovhanness' famous tone poem 'And God Created Great Whales'. This latter work has acquired classic status and has definitely aged better IMO.

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 07, 2021, 07:18:18 AM
First-Listen Friday meets Myaskovsky Madness!

Myaskovsky
Sinfonietta in b minor, Op. 32 № 2
Divertissement, Op. 80
Svetlanov & al.

After the tremendous impact of this album's opener, the tone-poem Silence, I found the Sinfonietta something of a disappointingly dutiful listen. It dates from the same year (1929) in which Prokofiev made the final revision to his own Sinfonietta (first composed in 1909 (the year before Myaskovsky completed Silence)

The three movements of Myaskovsky's Sinfonietta are:
1. Allegro, piccante e serioso
2. Andante
3. Presto

The five movements of the Prokofiev are:

1. Allegro giocoso
2. Andante
3. Intermezzo: Vivace
4. Scherzo: Allegro risoluto
5. Allegro giocoso

The difference in character can be summed up in the contrasting descriptors for the respective first movements: serioso and giocoso.

Without wishing to flog the Myaskovsky piece for not being Prokofiev's ... the central fact for me is that the tone of Myaskovsky's work is peculiarly lugubrious for a piece designated a Sinfonietta.  In my first hearing, I was not conscious of the third movement Presto casting off the gloom much.  I shall go back to the piece, in hopes that the fog may clear (we might say)

Late from the Ministry of Modifying First Impressions:

Perhaps listening to the Op. 80 Divertissement reset my ears. However it may be, I have revisited the Sinfonietta, and I do like it. This time I picked up how, after the Serioso opening statement how the opening material alternates/vies with the more lyrical episodes, at first heralded by the solo violin. The Andante is poignantly lyrical, and while the Presto is not truly "light," it is indeed a fitting conclusion to the piece.  I withdraw my objections, completely.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

NP:

Mahler
Symphony No. 7 in E minor
Berliners
Abbado

Mandryka

This Shostakovich sounds like Prokofiev - biting irony.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Tsaraslondon

From Karajan's 1963 cycle, the third gets a swift, tensely dramatic performance but the more elusive fourth is really something. In the slow movement Karajan finds not only echoes of Mozart and Haydn but pre-echoes of Wagner. A great performance.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Irons

Suk: Asrael Symphony.

Impressive in parts but a work I have difficulty coming to terms with.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Que

Madiel

Saint-Saens, Piano Concerto No.2

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

A first listen to Corelli.
Concerto Grossi Op.6/1
(Ensemble 415).

Olivier

Que

^ ^ ^ Excellent!  :)

Listening now: