What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46, JBS and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Traverso

Vivaldi

CD 13

Concertos

Bach

Concerto in A minor fot four Harpsichords BWV 1065

Karl Henning

Quote from: André on May 08, 2021, 08:21:35 AM

This is a big-boned, large orchestra, big voices performance of The Creation. Not unlike those by Karajan or Levine, if maybe a tad more relaxed. The soloists are excellent (there are 5 of them, with different soprano and bass voices for the Adam and Eve characters, which I like). I prefer tighter, crisper performances, PI or not, but certainly won't carp over anything on that release: it's uniformly excellent.

Très bien!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Mascagni's unsinkable one-acter in an excellent performance, full of drama yet played and sung with great refinement. I think that this may be due to its London origin (Covent Garden). Something more torrid and slightly unkempt would have been expected if its origin was italian. The soloists are mostly excellent. Great characterization by Baltsa. Juan Pons' Alfio is smoothly sung but undercharacterized. He sounds more annoyed than raving mad about his being cuckolded. MacNeil and Panerai are more telling in the role.

What a wonderful work this is ! At slightly under 80 minutes it is perfectly shaped, chockfull of great tunes and with superb balance between solos, duets, orchestral bits and of course that magnificent chorus. For the first time I noticed how similar the cascading chords that close the opera are to the coda of Tchaikovsky's Francesca da Rimini.

This is the performance DG included in its Opera Collection featuring Domingo. He made another performance of Cav, conducted by Prêtre. Presumably that was done for a filmed production similar to that of Pagliacci (a tepid, dully recorded performance). I'm glad DGG chose the Sinopoli instead.

Papy Oli

Some Fauré Barcarolles to close the evening.

Olivier

Sergeant Rock

Arnold Symphony No. 1 and Symphony No. 5, Handley conducting the RPO

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Carlo Gesualdo

I'm listening to downloads on presto classical first Josquin the Golden years of Renaissance real darn good and the new Beauty Farm on Fra Bernardo Pierre DE la Rue Masses vol 2. wow killing releases amen to this QUE please check it out, Mandryka I want your point of  view on new Pierre DE la Rue Masses Beauty Farm volume 2.

Stürmisch Bewegt

Superb fun and lots of lyrical listening on a Saturday afternoon.  I see there is a Gounod box set, isn't that interesting...? A French reviewer on Amazon wholeheartedly recommends it : "Coffret avec toutes les oeuvres majeures, bien plus chères à acquérir séparément, qui plus est, dans de bonnes interprétations, dont à recommander sans aucune réserve."  Edit: But, it looks like I'm covered there already with individual issues.  His symphonies, btw, are well worthy of attention.

Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: vandermolen on May 08, 2021, 05:50:25 AM
Miaskovsky: Piano Sonata No.5 in B major.
This is my favourite of the piano sonatas - it contains a most lovely, soulful and entirely characteristic, tune in the final movement:

+1
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Carlo Gesualdo

This is simply put fascinating, stunning, vibrant  J.S BACH Motets the Norwegian Soloists choir, Ensemble allegria, they made me love Bach motets and motets event more, after this his organ work por favor, on RICERCARE !

Il maestro   ;)

Have a nice wonderful night or sunny day  whiteout clouds a  profound deep blue sky and whatch the star shine over your head.  :)

André

Embarked on listening this, will probably take 3 days in all (very little time available tomorrow, as it's Mother's Day and I'm on cooking duty  :D.)

Listening along with this graphic novel is certainly more entertaining !

Daverz

Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 - Monteux/VPO

Persichetti: Symphony No. 4, streamed from Qobuz.  Transfer from the new Ormandy Columbia Legacy box of his mono Columbia recordings.

Wordsworth: Orchestral music volume 3, a new Toccata Classics release, also streamed.

Karl Henning

Bartók
Concerto for 2 Pianos. Percussion & Orchestra, Sz 115
Arthur Gold & Robt Fitzdale, pf
Saul Goodman, timp
Walter Rosenberger, Eden Bailey & Morris Lang, prc

Concerto for Violin & Orchestra № 2, Sz 112
Isaac Stern, vn
NY Phil
Lenny

Berg
Concerto for Violin & Orchestra « To the Memory of an Angel »

Bartók
Rhapsody for Violin & Orchestra № 1, Sz 87
Rhapsody for Violin & Orchestra № 2, Sz 90
Isaac Stern, vn
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Quote from: Que on May 08, 2021, 09:21:37 AM

Some of the short virtuosic pieces by Saint-Saëns, De Sarasate and some arrangements by Heifetz, Kreisler, Zimbalist and Szigetti.

In parallel, from Hanssler's 4 CD Rabin set
Bach Sonata 3 for solo violin BWV 1005
Beethoven Violin Sonata 8 in G Op 30/3*
Faure Violin Sonata 1 in A Op 13*
Saint-Saens Introduction & Rondo Capriccioso Op 28**
Debussy arr. Roques Le Plus Que Lente***
Prokofiev arr. Heifetz March from Love for Three Oranges***
*Lothar Broddack piano
**Hollywood Bowl SO cond. Felix Slatkin
***Leon Pommers piano
Recording dates range from 1955 to 1962

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

NP:

Henze
Selbst und Zwiegespräche (Monologues and Dialogues)
Franz Halász (guitar), Débora Halász (piano), Sophia Reuter (viola)

Mirror Image

NP:

Schreker
Kammersymphonie
Orquesta Filarmonica de gran Canaria
Halffter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on May 08, 2021, 08:06:37 AM
Well it did look fine to me as well and it was an encouragement to explore this set further.The violin Concerto is also very good,I have only the Kyung-Wha Chung recording with that funny cover (laughing)  :)
The viola concerto sound's also very fine,Nigel Kennedy is a very  talented violin player.
I'm pleased with my purchase and I'm curious what there is more in store  .

Excellent to read, Jan. 8)

Que

Morning listening:

Paris based Pierre Certon is not the biggest name amongst Renaissance composers, but his style nicely represents a development towards a more French than Franco-Flemish style.
I like the sober and authentic performances by Vox Cantoris of the mass in full liturgical setting.

I haven't checked availability on streaming services, but definitely worth a listen. :)

Que

Quote from: deprofundis on May 08, 2021, 01:37:27 PM
I'm listening to downloads on presto classical first Josquin the Golden years of Renaissance real darn good and the new Beauty Farm on Fra Bernardo Pierre DE la Rue Masses vol 2. wow killing releases amen to this QUE please check it out, Mandryka I want your point of  view on new Pierre DE la Rue Masses Beauty Farm volume 2.

I was impressed by their previous recording of De La Rue masses, so I would be eagerly looking forward to another installment!  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 08, 2021, 01:34:17 PM
Arnold Symphony No. 1 and Symphony No. 5, Handley conducting the RPO

Sarge
Those are my two favourite Arnold symphonies (+No.6)

Now playing (on my new CD player  :))
Madetoja: Symphony No.1
Finnish Radio SO/Leif Segerstam
Segerstam is very good in this repertoire.
Symphony No. 2 is the best but I like all the Madetoja symphonies:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).