What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS, Linz and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Earlier, closed my first full traversal of the Stott Fauré set with some remaining Nocturnes.

That will be one of my top purchases of the year when we get to that time of the year  :)

Now :

Continuation of Corelli's Concerto Grossi Op.6
(Ensemble 415).

Superb.

Olivier

aukhawk

Quote from: Florestan on May 08, 2021, 09:36:36 AM

Thankyou sir!
My tolerance for images of shepherdesses frolicking with fauns was wearing very thin ...  :o

Florestan

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on May 08, 2021, 03:06:15 PM
Superb fun and lots of lyrical listening on a Saturday afternoon.  I see there is a Gounod box set, isn't that interesting...? A French reviewer on Amazon wholeheartedly recommends it : "Coffret avec toutes les oeuvres majeures, bien plus chères à acquérir séparément, qui plus est, dans de bonnes interprétations, dont à recommander sans aucune réserve."  Edit: But, it looks like I'm covered there already with individual issues.  His symphonies, btw, are well worthy of attention.

You should try his SQs too.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Quote from: aukhawk on May 09, 2021, 01:02:57 AM
Thankyou sir!
My tolerance for images of shepherdesses frolicking with fauns was wearing very thin ...  :o

:D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Que

Remaining in France, but later in time:

aligreto

CPE Bach: Concerto for Cello, Two Violins, Viola and Basso Wq 172 [Café Zimmermann]

The first movement flows along very well on a steady and strong undercurrent of a prominent rhythmic pattern. The slow movement is a well crafted piece of music that is very forward looking in its tone, sentiments and musical language, to my mind. The final movement is a sparkling affair and is full of exuberance.

Madiel

Medtner, 3 Romances (op.3)

Apparently the first album to have the entire opus together. And darn they sound like good songs.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Pejacevic, 6 Fantasy Pieces (op.17)

The liner notes regard these as Pejacevic's first mature compositions. And with advocacy like they get on this album they are certainly worth hearing.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

aukhawk

Vivaldi Concerto in D RV 208 "Il Grosso Mogul"
Hard to breathe new life into Vivaldi, but Kopatchinskaja gives it her best shot, exploring the limits of audibility in the process.

Warning: the whole album interleaves Vivaldi with new commissions in complementary style.   :-\  Interesting for a one-off, but that's about it.

Vivaldi Concerti (and other commissioned stuff) - Kopatchinskaja, Il Giardino Armonico, Antonini

Que

Biffo

Brahms: Symphony No 4 in E minor, Op 98 - Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Sir John Barbirolli

aligreto

Varese: Offrandes [Boulez]

This is now the third version that I now have of this work. I like the work; it is stark but always atmospheric.

Traverso

Walton

Further exploring this box with fine music

Overture: Portsmouth Point
Comedy Overture: Scapino    London Symphony Orchestra Anré Previn
Siesta  Northern Sinfonia of England Richard Hickox
Sonata for strings  City of London Sinfonia  Richard Hickox
Cello Concerto  Lyn Harrel   City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra Simon Rattle

Mandryka

A Cappella Pratensis Josquin concert in Breda on New Year's Day this year

https://www.youtube.com/v/yh1QMc57SAA&feature=emb_logo
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

not edward

I think this is a lovely disc, if not the most challenging of Nørgård 's work. Fugitive Summer and Tributes are on the softer edge of his '90s work in their eclectic yet gentle modernism, and Metamorfosi and Constellations show his development in the '50s as he starts to strike out on new paths away from the style of his teacher Holmboe. (The latter is probably my favourite early Nørgård work, taking his Holmboe-derived frst-period style about as far as it could go, with fascinating hints of the mature composer sprinkled in throughout.)

[asin]B000023XQW[/asin]
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: Florestan on May 09, 2021, 01:04:29 AM
You should try his SQs too.

A most excellent suggest, kind sir, except that I picked-up the Danel Quartet's recording many years ago and love it still.  However, annoyingly, it lacks two SQs included on your Cambini-Paris set! 
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Harry

Frantisek Ignac Antonin Tuma.
Stabat Mater.

Jan Dismas Zelenka.
Sanctus-Agnus Dei.
Sub Tuum Praesidium.

Collegium 1704,Vaclav Luks.

I had this weekend a power overload in my house effectively destroying much of my Equipment. I have some left, but not much.
Still I am healthy....
A really fine recording.....

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

aligreto

Miaskovsky: Symphony No. 25 [Svetlanov] Op. 69

Opening in a somewhat dark and brooding tone with that wonderful clarinet theme, the strings take up the running with a backdrop of magnificent harmonic writing. Once again, the woodwinds play a prominent role in the scoring here. The music and the musical language are both searching and questioning. The movement ends not so much in a resolution as a resignation. The short central movement is perceptibly more up beat but still retains the searching and questioning tone. It muses over rather than ponders the underlying issues. We appear to come to more of a resolution here. The final movement opens apace. Is that impatience, infuriation? When we take a breath we find that we are still pondering. However, as the movement progresses, we gradually work through to a very positive resolution in a very fine conclusion to the work. This is a terrific work.

aligreto

Quote from: "Harry" on May 09, 2021, 06:46:46 AM

I had this weekend a power overload in my house effectively destroying much of my Equipment. I have some left, but not much.
Still I am healthy....

A disaster! Still, as you say, you are alive. I feel your loss though.