What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway

Ligeti - String Quartet No. 2.

Harry

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 09, 2021, 08:47:13 AM
That's an awful shame Harry, I hope it's just blown a few components that can be replaced.

Yeah me too!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

steve ridgway

Scelsi - TKRDG. An unusual ensemble of six male voices, three percussionists and an amplified guitar. 8)

Traverso

SonicMan46

Quote from: "Harry" on May 09, 2021, 07:48:26 AM
I hope so too, otherwise its closed and shut down for many years to come. I know more in a couple of weeks. Th stuff is going back to the dealer to see if it is repairable..

Hi Harry - really sorry about what happened to your electronics!  Curious if you had any decent UPS backup devices attached?  I keep my 'den electronics' on several APC units, such as the one below - have had brownouts and power outages but no lightning strikes, and not sure in the latter event whether these UPS backups would prevent the damage (they should?).  Good luck and hope the equipment can be salvaged at a reasonable price.  Dave

Mandryka

Auryn Haydn op 33/1. Sparkling - champagne.  Very well recorded. The Auryn Quartet seem to think that the function of this music is to put you in a good mood - like a happiness drug - send you way with melodies going round your head and a smile on your face, having just had a thrilling ride in a fast machine. There is no weight, gravitas. There is no ambiguity - I mean emotional ambiguity. This is Haydn as genial gent, charming, agreeably diverting. He sends you up, he takes you down - you always know what to feel - simple. Nice and simple. Like music in primary school.  An op 33/1 which makes Haydn sound as though no one was writing funner or more witty quartets in the 18th century. Not even you know who.

It is the exact polar opposite of The London Haydn Quartet - who are much much much much much deeper. Obvs.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 09, 2021, 09:50:31 AM
Hi Harry - really sorry about what happened to your electronics!  Curious if you had any decent UPS backup devices attached?  I keep my 'den electronics' on several APC units, such as the one below - have had brownouts and power outages but no lightning strikes, and not sure in the latter event whether these UPS backups would prevent the damage (they should?).  Good luck and hope the equipment can be salvaged at a reasonable price.  Dave

Nope Dave no UPS units, the guys who installed all the stuff, did not find that a good idea. And it is a fact that would not have prevented this particular damage.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

SonicMan46

Quote from: "Harry" on May 09, 2021, 10:21:08 AM
Nope Dave no UPS units, the guys who installed all the stuff, did not find that a good idea. And it is a fact that would not have prevented this particular damage.

Thanks Harry - the installers should know - again, hope that all goes for the best - good luck again!  Dave

kyjo

Quote from: Irons on May 08, 2021, 12:22:12 AM
Suk: Asrael Symphony.

Impressive in parts but a work I have difficulty coming to terms with.

It's a complex work, and definitely one that repays repeated listening. I didn't like it that much the first time I listened, but upon revisiting it I realized its mastery and emotional depth. Following along with a score revealed to me the genius and subtlety of Suk's orchestration. I particularly recommend the Ashkenazy/Helsinki PO recording on Ondine.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mandryka

De la Rue's Missa Puer Natus est Nobis - I have to say, I think it's excellent.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

bhodges

Bacewicz: Piano Sonata No. 1 (Krystian Zimerman) - Like much of her work, a revelation. I was so startled that I had to pause, and save the second sonata (with pianist Regina Smendzianka) for later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc1DEMrC87c&t=979s

--Bruce

Karl Henning

Quote from: aukhawk on May 09, 2021, 03:31:53 AM
Vivaldi Concerto in D RV 208 "Il Grosso Mogul"
Hard to breathe new life into Vivaldi, but Kopatchinskaja gives it her best shot, exploring the limits of audibility in the process.

Warning: the whole album interleaves Vivaldi with new commissions in complementary style.   :-\  Interesting for a one-off, but that's about it.

Vivaldi Concerti (and other commissioned stuff) - Kopatchinskaja, Il Giardino Armonico, Antonini

Curiouser and curiouser.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: "Harry" on May 09, 2021, 06:46:46 AM
Frantisek Ignac Antonin Tuma.
Stabat Mater.

Jan Dismas Zelenka.
Sanctus-Agnus Dei.
Sub Tuum Praesidium.

Collegium 1704,Vaclav Luks.

I had this weekend a power overload in my house effectively destroying much of my Equipment. I have some left, but not much.
Still I am healthy....
A really fine recording.....

Yikes!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

LvB
Pf Cto № 1 in C, Op. 15
Lenny, pf
Israel Phil

Pf Cto № 2 in Bb, Op. 19
Glenn St-Gould, pf
Columbia Symphony
Lenny

Pf Cto № 3 in c minor, Op. 37
Glenn St-Gould, pf
Columbia Symphony
Lenny

Pf Cto № 4 in G, Op. 58
Glenn St-Gould, pf
NY Phil
Lenny

I especially enjoyed both Lenny in the First, and The Eccentric Canadian in the G Major; in fact I'll go right back and listen again to the latter.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

prémont

Quote from: deprofundis on May 08, 2021, 01:37:27 PM
I'm listening to downloads on presto classical first Josquin the Golden years of Renaissance real darn good and the new Beauty Farm on Fra Bernardo Pierre DE la Rue Masses vol 2. wow killing releases amen to this QUE please check it out, Mandryka I want your point of  view on new Pierre DE la Rue Masses Beauty Farm volume 2.

Maybe I do not search sufficiently, but as far I can see, it's The Sound and the Fury, which recently has released a CD with the title Pierre de la Rue Masses vol. 2, and not Beauty Farm.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

bhodges

Again, this lovely version of Stravinsky's Apollo, with l'Orchestre philharmonique de Radio France and conductor Daniel Harding. Of many fine versions, this live reading posted on YouTube in June 2020 must rank with the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2HqFK4ACnk&t=6s

--Bruce

Karl Henning

LvB

Pf Cto № 5 Eb, Op. 73 « Cæsar »
R. Serkin, pf
NY Phil
Lenny

Even in so fine a performance, I find the first movement of the Op. 73 something of a chore, to be endured.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Daverz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 09, 2021, 05:55:07 PM
LvB

Pf Cto № 5 Eb, Op. 73 « Cæsar »
R. Serkin, pf
NY Phil
Lenny

Even in so fine a performance, I find the first movement of the Op. 73 something of a chore, to be endured.

Interesting.  No. 5 has never been my favorite of the concertos.  That would be No. 3.

Daverz

Quote from: aukhawk on May 09, 2021, 03:31:53 AM
Vivaldi Concerto in D RV 208 "Il Grosso Mogul"
Hard to breathe new life into Vivaldi, but Kopatchinskaja gives it her best shot, exploring the limits of audibility in the process.

Warning: the whole album interleaves Vivaldi with new commissions in complementary style.   :-\  Interesting for a one-off, but that's about it.

Vivaldi Concerti (and other commissioned stuff) - Kopatchinskaja, Il Giardino Armonico, Antonini

I didn't make it all the way through even once.

I used to be intrigued by her recordings, now I'm starting to dread them.  There's the new Pierrot Lunaire in which she takes the solo part.  Hey, it's just sprechstimme, so why not.   ???

JBS

Quote from: Daverz on May 09, 2021, 06:01:12 PM
Interesting.  No. 5 has never been my favorite of the concertos.  That would be No. 3.

Same here, although Number 4 would challenge Number 3 very closely.

TD

Hadelich playing Bach's Sei Solo.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk