What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Brahms: Schicksalslied (Radio Filharmonisch Orkest / Groot Omroepkoor / Karina Canellakis) - Recorded on September 11, 2020 in Utrecht, and considering the date and the occasion, quite something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFe2hbw1FRo

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Quote from: Irons on May 08, 2021, 12:22:12 AM
Suk: Asrael Symphony.

Impressive in parts but a work I have difficulty coming to terms with.

Same here. It's not one of Suk's better works, IMHO.

Mirror Image

NP:

Respighi
Metamorphoseon, P 169
Orchestre Philharmonique Royal de Liège
Neschling

All of these Neschling recordings of Respighi on BIS are excellent.

Mirror Image

NP:

Glazunov
Symphony No. 8 in E-flat, Op. 83
USSR Ministry of Culture SO
Rozhdestvensky

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello, tonight I ain't feeling sleepy, no stress or harsh  anxiety like always but calm, tranquille, ideas in order, I am improving according to my parents & sister, though he change so much for the better , he more enrgitical, do all his shore do more , all spic & spam at his place, there real proud of me, I feel flatter, but to evolve for me his a progressive, there is never enough you can't learn, put disciple in your daily life menu now , I do Cycling at dawn when sun rise, it's the prettiest moment I picture the sky at a local parc and  darn I drive my bycicle around the circuit of cycling, like it because no one there only fews solitaire, building up stamina, reinforcing cardio, sport in the end or exercize. for an one-two hour(s) depend on my strengh and depend if I am fully wake up the morning not lethargic. I press two vynil 33 LP this month expecting them inlate July or August, work hard on these project mixing, studio stuff, it was long, Rome was not built in one day ya Know. I order a T-shirt for my noise-metal/Hard Skronk-rock overdrive, And I design my t-shirt to a compagny, seem rad.

Minus Parenthesis on how I'm feeling now , Happy for once, I hope it last and not stress or anxious to death, I am under control, I return posting  head up high, shoulder straight up, a man stand up on is legs straight up chin high, proud not showing up to  impress crowd, but what are my limit I test them, learn Temperance in worst situation i a good idea, reflexion, cal, so now Feeling Better and that it, I regret if in the past I were crank up,  idiots did  evil/vile things to me psychological ya know... no comments.

I am listening to my favorite musician of 15th century , focus on him the great Flemish Master Johannes Ockeghem, I like Ockeghem Masses vol 1-2 trough Beauty Farm Fra Bernardo, very good, now I felt tonight to explore a  double album Johannes Ockeghem (the chanson) on Music en Wallonie, direction: Jesse Rodin, ensemble CUT CIRCLE double albums, ya like songs there you have it, but admit I would like the Dufay work better by same ensemble.

[/size][/font][/b][/u]Goodnight Fellas , most people evolve for the best only idiot stay idiots forever refuse to evolve for the better or improve, power up, ya know this Fellas. I made my choice deceided to move on for the best of me not my 100% my 100%+10= 110% like the french verb plus que parfait LOL no kidding 8)

vandermolen

Totally agree about your last two musical choices John. The Respighi 'Metamorphoseon' and Glazunov's 8th Symphony are two of their finest works and in magnificent performances. We don't agree, however, about Suk's 'Asrael' Symphony which I regard as a masterpiece (I especially like performances by Mackerras and Ashkenazy as well as the classic Tallich recording).
Now playing - NYM Symphony No.24 - one of the strongest of the cycle I think:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 09, 2021, 02:44:35 PM
Maybe I do not search sufficiently, but as far I can see, it's The Sound and the Fury, which recently has released a CD with the title Pierre de la Rue Masses vol. 2, and not Beauty Farm.

Yes, indeed.  :) And I thought TSATF was disbanded - apparently not!

https://frabernardo.com/portfolio-item/la-rue-masses-2-the-sound-and-the-fury/#tab-id-1

Harry

A keeper, or not.

CPE Bach.
Flute Concertos.
CD I.

Concerto in D minor-A minor-A major.

Eckart Haupt, Flute.
Kammerorchester CPE Bach, Hartmut Haenchen.
Christine Schornsheim, Harpsichord.
Recorded in 1985, Christuskirche, Berlin.

Of course these are not authentic performances, but done in a quasi period style. I have grown a little more tolerant of these hybrid performances. Its all tastefully done, no real offences here, save for a bit more legato, but vibrato is tolerably low in the orchestras framework. Sound is excellent.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Madiel

Sibelius violin/piano works from 1884-88.

I know I've tried this music before, none of it is really essential though my recollection is that some bits are better than others. Some of it's a bit fragmentary, but in that respect it's not nearly as bad as certain other albums in the BIS Sibelius series. The earliest work is actually the most substantial, an entire violin sonata (though the inner movements are a lot less interesting than the 1st).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

vandermolen

Franz Schmidt: Symphony No.4
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

CPE Bach: Sinfonias

Sinfonia for Two Violins, Viola and Basso Wq 182/5 [Café Zimmermann] It is like Café Zimmermann speaks a different dialect of musical language with this music. I have heard it before but never like this. This is assertive, compelling and very elegant music making. The opening and middle movements have great poise and refinement and the final movement is definitely a piece of music of note and this is a particularly fine performance.

Sinfonia for Two Violins, Viola and Basso Wq 182/6 [Café Zimmermann] For me, the opening movement has echoes of middle Mozart, which is not a bad thing. The drive and forward momentum of the music is laudable without it being driven too hard. I like the musical language of the middle movement which, once, again, is very forward looking. It is very engaging. The final movement is a sprightly affair but it still has the requisite gravitas and presence to be a full blooded performance.

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Finishing Corelli's opus 6 (/5,11,6,12,8,7)

Olivier

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on May 09, 2021, 10:08:17 AM

Auryn Haydn op 33/1. Sparkling - champagne.  Very well recorded. The Auryn Quartet seem to think that the function of this music is to put you in a good mood - like a happiness drug - send you way with melodies going round your head and a smile on your face, having just had a thrilling ride in a fast machine. There is no weight, gravitas. There is no ambiguity - I mean emotional ambiguity. This is Haydn as genial gent, charming, agreeably diverting. He sends you up, he takes you down - you always know what to feel - simple. Nice and simple. Like music in primary school.  An op 33/1 which makes Haydn sound as though no one was writing funner or more witty quartets in the 18th century. Not even you know who.

It is the exact polar opposite of The London Haydn Quartet - who are much much much much much deeper. Obvs.

This time op 33/2 and it's basically more of the same - but while listening some nonsense popped into my head. This does for op 33 what Yo-yo Ma did for the Bach cello suites in the last recording. He makes quite thorny music (IMO) very easy going,  hummable and foot tappable. Not totally unlike Mosaïques maybe, from memory.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 09, 2021, 07:29:57 PM
NP:

Respighi
Metamorphoseon, P 169
Orchestre Philharmonique Royal de Liège
Neschling

All of these Neschling recordings of Respighi on BIS are excellent.

I liked Neschling in Sao Paulo on BIS - all excellent but I find these Liege recordings far less impressive.  Acousitically not as precise, technically not as detailed or spectacular and orchestra simply not as good.  Compare the old Chandos/Downes/BBC PO in the Symphony for example - in Liege it fails (for me) to be at all "Drammatic"

steve ridgway

Rainer Riehn – Chants De Maldoror. Nearly half an hour of incredibly noisy electroacoustic sounds. I wonder if DG thought this was the next big thing?

aligreto

Mendelssohn: String Quartet in E flat major [Gewandhaus Quartet]

I understand from wikipedia that this string quartet was written in 1823 when Mendelssohn was merely 14 years of age! Wow! This was not a portent of what was to come. He was already there! He was obviously born with the gift of music composition. The command and maturity of string quartet writing at this level, at that age, is definitely disconcerting. This is simply amazing string writing from a young boy. One simply cannot detach the significance of his age from this work. I think that it simply shows astonishing musical and compositional maturity.

Mandryka

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 10, 2021, 03:26:07 AM
Rainer Riehn – Chants De Maldoror. Nearly half an hour of incredibly noisy electroacoustic sounds. I wonder if DG thought this was the next big thing?

Actually by coincidence this morning while cleaning the house this has been playing -- I think there was a lot of acid in DG at the time.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: deprofundis on May 09, 2021, 09:38:24 PM
I am listening to my favorite musician of 15th century , focus on him the great Flemish Master Johannes Ockeghem, I like Ockeghem Masses vol 1-2 trough Beauty Farm Fra Bernardo, very good, now I felt tonight to explore a  double album Johannes Ockeghem (the chanson) on Music en Wallonie, direction: Jesse Rodin, ensemble CUT CIRCLE double albums, ya like songs there you have it, but admit I would like the Dufay work better by same ensemble.

I agree with your view on the Ockeghem songs by Cut Circle/Rodin on Musique en Wallonie

This I liked better, hopefully a 2nd volume will be issued shortly :

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Feb/Ockeghem_songs_v1_BHCD1010.html

BTW an absolutely ravishing Flemish song collection on Musique en Wallonie:

steve ridgway

Quote from: Mandryka on May 10, 2021, 03:39:04 AM
Actually by coincidence this morning while cleaning the house this has been playing -- I think there was a lot of acid in DG at the time.

Late 1960s might well explain it. :laugh: