Der Rosenkavalier, Op. 59
Christa Ludwig, Lucia Popp, et. al.
Wiener Philharmoniker, Chor der Wiener Staatsoper
Bernstein

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on May 11, 2021, 06:07:16 AM
I have that recording also but, unfortunately, it is "only" on CD  ;D

;)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 11, 2021, 06:27:37 AM
Finzi - Clarinet Concerto

One of Finzi's finest works. In my top five.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Sergeant Rock

Miaskovsky Symphony No. 2 in C minor

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

steve ridgway

John Cage - Variations I. This is livening things up and the audience seemed to have enjoyed it too, judging from their delighted laughter. :laugh:

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 11, 2021, 06:28:19 AM
Now onto Disc 2:

Strauss
Der Rosenkavalier, Op. 59
Christa Ludwig, Lucia Popp, et. al.
Wiener Philharmoniker, Chor der Wiener Staatsoper
Bernstein

Und? How are you finding that Rosenkavalier? Good day to you, John.

The new erato

Upholding the fine standards of the series.

And tonight a live performance (physically present!) with the Bergen Opera of Il Vespri Siciliani.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on May 11, 2021, 07:09:37 AM
Und? How are you finding that Rosenkavalier? Good day to you, John.

Oh, Rafael. It is exquisite in every sense of the word. This is shaping up to becoming one of my favorite Strauss works. I've always liked it even when I listened to Solti's Decca recording, but it seems that Bernstein has the full measure of this music even more so than Solti. The soloists are all first-rate, too. Ludwig, Popp, Jones, Berry...they're all excellent. And a good day to you, good sir.

Edit: I want to thank you for recommending me this recording. On paper, I thought it would be a good recording, but sometimes this isn't always the case. Thankfully, it has exceeded my expectations. I like this performance so much that I splurged on a Japanese hybrid SACD set, which will hopefully be in my hands next week sometime. 8)

Sergeant Rock

Miaskovsky Symphony No. 13 in B minor and Slav Rhapsody in D minor

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Harry

Johann Sebastian Bach.

Missae BWV 234&235.
Sanctus BWV 238.
Chorus and Orchestra of Collegium Vocale, Philippe Herreweghe.
Agnus Mellon, Gerard Lesne, Christoph Pregardien, Peter Kooy.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Karl Henning

Brahms
Vn Cto in D, Op.77

Sibelius
Vn Cto in d minor, Op.47
Zino Francescatti, vn
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

The Franck symphony. I've compared this to Cantelli's version and to me there's no contest. The old master finds way more colours and textures, his pacing is more fluid and he always makes sure the music flows and keeps a singing line. His introduction to I sounds like the prelude to Siegfried's Act III. Dark, inky double basses and low winds, spooky string tremolos, all held together by a constant cantabile. By contrast Cantelli is more angular and as a consequence the music has a hint of the jerky and spasmatic. Fine, but doesn't hold a candle to his mentor - or Monteux, van Otterloo, Svetlanov and Plasson. A surprise contender is Ansermet, finely detailed and transparent, yet not averse to some eyebrow-raising dynamic adjustments.

Traverso

Walton

Henry V
Troilus and Cressida ( interlude)
As you like it suite
A Historry of the English-Speaking Peoples-March
Hamlet Funeral march
Richard III - prelude
Richard III  a Shakespeare Suite

I really liked the Variations on a Theme by Hindemith

steve ridgway

Giacinto Scelsi – Ko-Tha Version Für Kontrabaß Solo. Great double bass noises of all sorts. 8)

steve ridgway

Wolfgang Rihm - Klavierstück Nr. 7. A very forceful and strangely rhythmic piece. 8)

steve ridgway

Tristan Murail - Treize Couleurs Du Soleil Couchant. I've enjoyed Vol. 2 much more than Vol. 1. Two more to go. :P

Mirror Image

NP:

Strauss
Symphonia Domestica, Op. 53, TrV 209
Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin
Janowski

Roasted Swan

At last I've managed to get hold of this box - it is very fine indeed.  Not a dud performance and the Minnesota Orchestra playing their socks off for Skrowaczewski.  The Firebird features a daringly fast Infernal Dance followed by a wonderful slow and reflective Lullaby (gorgeous solo playing) befoe a suitably exhaultant Finale.  Not listened to Petrushka yet but this is a cracking set - really glad I managed to find a copy

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 11, 2021, 10:59:26 AM
At last I've managed to get hold of this box - it is very fine indeed.  Not a dud performance and the Minnesota Orchestra playing their socks off for Skrowaczewski.  The Firebird features a daringly fast Infernal Dance followed by a wonderful slow and reflective Lullaby (gorgeous solo playing) befoe a suitably exhaultant Finale.  Not listened to Petrushka yet but this is a cracking set - really glad I managed to find a copy
I have a number of those Vox Box sets (Prokofiev symphonies/Film music/Bruckner/Mahler symphonies etc) and am glad to have them in my collection.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).