What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen, Roasted Swan and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Something random...

Carter
Horn Concerto
Martin Owen, horn
BBC SO
Knussen

Mirror Image

NP:

Glazunov
Karelian Legend, Op. 99
USSR State SO
Svetlanov

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello I send my greeting to Mod, Op, GmG  Poster, for this one seem rare, I did not see many copy or a re release so far in CD of this master great Roland DE Lassus of this perticular work, It whent unoticed by noobs (Neophyte) To Lassus spectaculary, surreal, Grandiose: Les Lamentations de Job (ref.bible Job Was a rightious Man done everything he could but bad luck strucked in for the rest of his life... that all I know of Theology, yet my copy mint double LP's, Is it worth it to find, locate, buy this work, you betcha fellas, and good night, sweet dreams it's getting late almost midnight I will have a listen of this for sure, areal one, thus said real focus.

:)

vandermolen

Holst: First Choral Symphony
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Tsaraslondon

I used to have the box set of Karajan's 1977 Beethoven cycle on LP, but when acquiring the symphonies on CD I went for a mix and match option. That said, I stuck with Karajan's 1977 9th as I always considered it one of the finest performances in the cycle.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Que

Harry

Quote from: Alek Hidell on May 12, 2021, 06:10:39 PM
I see you discussing music you've been listening to, Harry - does this mean your sound system problem has been solved?

Yes it is. The whole system or lets say 3 of them had to be reset. I took measures to prevent a next time, by putting audio quest Niagara power surge protectors between the secondary and third system, my primary system was already protected by the Thor made by Nordost. I looked at all the fuses in amplifiers, and additional electronics but nothing had to be replaced. The electrical wiring in the listening room will be replaced, and I will put Hi-end sockets in this room that will keep the power lines better in place. I had quite a scare, but fortunately got a second chance.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Hamilton Harty
A Comedy Overture
Irish Symphony
(Thomson, Ulster Orch.)

Olivier

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Tsaraslondon

Given away free with BBC Music Magazine back in Juy 2000, this is actually a very fine disc by the Jerusalem Quartet of String Quartets by Beethoven, Shostakovich and Haydn.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Traverso

Arriaga

A good idea to dig this one up. :)

Papy Oli

Might as well continue on this pretty good path :

Hamilton Harty
(Thomson, Ulster Orch.)

In Ireland
With The Wild Goose

Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 13, 2021, 03:16:34 AM
Might as well continue on this pretty good path :

Hamilton Harty
(Thomson, Ulster Orch.)

In Ireland
With The Wild Goose

With The Wild Goose Geese.
Unfortunately there was more than one of them  ;)  ;D

Glad that you are enjoying it thus far.

aligreto

Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 11 Op. 22 [Backhaus]

Maestro267

Trying this after seeing a few recommendations for it:

Lopes-Graça: Sinfonia
RSNO/Cassuto

Harry

CPE Bach.

Cello Concertos 1-3.

Balazs Mate, Cello.
Concerto Armonico, Peter Szüts. On authentic instruments.
Recorded in 1995 by Hungaroton.

Let on thing be clear, these Cello concertos are peerless masterpieces. So much is clear when you hear the first movement from Cello concerto No. 1 in A minor. The orchestration is sublime, and the attention to detail of the highest order.  The common consensus held him to be the greatest living composer at that time! Be that as it may, he is certainly a very important composer, who doesn't stand in the shadow of his family or other composers of fame. This said, the performance is also sublime and very well recorded.

Harry

Nikolai Miaskovsky.
CD IX.
Symphony No. 24 in F minor & 27 in C minor.
State SO of the Russian Federation, Evgeny Svetlanov.

What could possibly go wrong after the first movement of No. 24 rolls out of my speakers. Every disc in this box is a musical success, and very well performed.

Papy Oli

Olivier

Mirror Image

This entire recording:

I had already listened to the various orchesterlieder from this recording but went back and listened to Vier Letzte Lieder and now playing through the recording again. What can I say that hasn't already been said before about this recording? Not much! Schwarzkopf has an individual feel for these works. In the Vier Letzte Lieder, the closest comparison I can make is Cheryl Studer not in terms of timbre, but the highly personal feeling she puts into the words that somehow transcend everything and make the music about Strauss and not herself. Szell's accompaniment, like Sinopoli's, is also on the same lines as Schwarzkopf --- a different perspective, but never about himself. Incredible music-making and the fidelity of this recording is first-rate --- the remastering sounds wonderful.

Harry

Benjamin Britten.
Orchestral Works, CD III.

Piano Concerto.
Leif Ove Andsnes, Piano.
City of Birmingham SO, Paavo Järvi.

Good sound, but a bit rushed, The Toccata introduction is not able to breath, too much virtuoso, and a shortness of compassion.

Violin concerto.
Ida Haendel, Violin.
Bournemouth SO, Paavo Berglund.

A recording I treasure, with good enough sound, and fine playing of Ida Haendel.

Young Apollo.
City of Birmingham SO, Simon Rattle.

A fine piece by Britten, and decent sound too.